Expendables 3 (2014)

Keung

TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't think Donnie is that interested in Hollywood anymore. And certainly not playing second banana and the bud of Sly and the gangs asian jokes, his ego would'nt allow it, and really, I can't blame him.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not necessarily a SHANGHAI 13 remake but something very close along those lines. That would be epic. With the right director and action choreographer, it could be look really cool. Here's some possible stars that I think could work out well:

Chen Kuan Tai

Kuo Choi

Lo Meng

Jackie Chan

Sammo Hung

Yuen Biao

Hwang Jang Lee

Sonny Chiba

Henry Sanada

Billy Chong

Andy Lau

Bruce Le

Conan Lee

It's a nice dream...

I like the first half of the list, but Id trade the second half for LKWing, LKLiang, LKFei, Philip Ko, Bruce Liang, Wang Lung Wei, (not sure, but have heard scattered stories that he is in a similar situation and Gordon Liu :( and Fung Hak-on) Now Im happy, lets not forget the ladies, Id like to see Lilly Li, Kara Hui, and Angela Mao in there also!!

Perhaps they could persuade Donnie Yen to make an extended cameo :) But that's only my speculations...

They already did for Part 2.

Seriously, with promising projects in line in which full control of the action choreography is granted, how can one say yes to co-star in turd like the Expendables movies where you only get little to do while others get more? With the power Yen possesses now, he could very well direct his own Expendables-type of movie with the veterans of HK action cinema and with his own ideas superiorly realized.

TheGrimReaper

A new "Eastern Condors" perhaps? Thanks for clearing some background info for me DiP - everyday I learn something new, which is brilliant.

Anyway - to me Hollywood is not as attractive as HK in relation to action movies - but I'd guess that when there is enough money flowing, probably a lot of people would like a piece from the pie :)

Jackie should stop looking for a ways in revitalizing his carrer - he should concentrate on his charity activities instead... And I'm saying this as his fan since '91...

On the other hand, this is another opportunity for Chan to show off some moves, before his body is no longer keeping up with his screen exploits.

Greetings

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/jackie-chan-joins-expendables-3-171137526.html

Jackie Chan is the latest action icon to hop (out a window, landing on an awning, flipping into a moving car) aboard the “Expendables” franchise, announcing that he has officially joined Sylvester Stallone's merry band, which also includes (or has included) Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Terry Crews (pause for breath), Dolph Lundgren, Chuck Norris, and Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Chan said, at a press conference in Malaysia while promoting another movie, that Stallone had previously offered him a role in the second “Expendables” movie that he was unable to accept due to scheduling. Completely aside from Chan's stature as one of the global superstars of action cinema, his joining the “Expendables” team can only help the franchise's commercial prospects in China, which is projected as being less than a decade away from being the world's largest movie market.

Not content with affirming his action career—no longer, as he's often hinted in weariness from the injuries he's sustained, over—as “Expendables”-worthy, Chan is also developing a new project with “Rush Hour” cohort Chris Tucker. Tentatively titled “Skip Tracer,” that project is still at an early enough stage that it may be rewritten to become “Rush Hour 4,” though Chan has previously voiced his disinterest in doing any more “Rush Hour” movies. One does, certainly, have to leave a hallowed film franchise be. Not so for “The Expendables,” clearly; fans of the first two installments are no doubt eager to see what Jackie Chan's inimitable style brings to the series.

GD Y-Y

They already did for Part 2.

Seriously, with promising projects in line in which full control of the action choreography is granted, how can one say yes to co-star in turd like the Expendables movies where you only get little to do while others get more? With the power Yen possesses now, he could very well direct his own Expendables-type of movie with the veterans of HK action cinema and with his own ideas superiorly realized.

Excellent point. I believe this as well.

Frankly, it would be foolish of Sly not to jump on something like this. The only thing that could make it any better would be a Shane Black-written script.

ShaOW!linDude

This is certainly a fun supposition to contemplate. US action stars in a HK styled action film? I mean, I know it's been done to some extent before but this would be sah-weeeeet!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, but which John Woo would show up on set, Hard Target Woo or Paycheck Woo? We all know it wouldn't be Hard Boiled Woo. im sure it he was at the helm, it would be notably better than the first two, but seeing that Woo hasn't made a movie I liked since Broken Arrow, I doubt a third entry in his hand would get me excited about this franchise.

And on a sidenote, I don't see JC fitting in with this material at all. At least not if it's in the vein of the previous films.

As far as John Woo goes it probably would be a big positive, even as TWC says he is unlikely to bring his A game. I think that would most likely improve the quality of action. However I honestly can't see a masterpiece in the offing.

What would be cool if th next generation made an Asian Expendables. Get Gareth Evans directing, starring Iko Uwais, Tony Jaa, Wu Jing, Jeeja, Johnny Ngyuyen, Johnny Yong Bosch, Eric Jacobus and a bunch of other talented martial arts stars still to reach the top of their game.:xd:

While I agree Donnie Yen is a huge star in Asian cinema I'm not altogether convinced he has that much power. Donnie Yen may be able to get a project together featuring lots of old Hong Kong stars in an Expendables like movie. However I don't think anyone in Hong Kong could pull together an action movie that could harken back to the 80s/early 90s. While China is the core audience it simply is never going to happen. Only in our imaginations could this really be.

Actually, he has that much power. Before commencing a project, he is always asked whether or not he has wishes to have things he knows can be accomplished his own ways to be granted. Usually, that would be what he feels is in his comfort zone: having control of the action choreography as well as choosing actors to play prominent roles and participate in action scenes and deciding how shooting of certain scenes should be like. So it all comes down for him to take command if he's willing to.

Also, making Expendables-type of movies or action movies that harkens back to 80s and 90s action movies is not Donnie's main goal, although I believe he could easily go that route where he can just focus on the action and add the stereotypical no-brainer or simplistic content action movies are often criticized for. Nah, he sees the action movie genre differently now. He's looking into different things in martial arts to highlight whilst adding depth to story/acting and try to elevate action choreography or action movies in general on some next-level stuff. Be sure to look out for Special Identity cause that will be the closest new HK action movies will get to the genre's heyday.

Actually, he has that much power. Before commencing a project, he is always asked whether or not he has wishes to have things he knows can be accomplished his own ways to be granted. Usually, that would be what he feels is in his comfort zone: having control of the action choreography as well as choosing actors to play prominent roles and participate in action scenes and deciding how shooting of certain scenes should be like. So it all comes down for him to take command if he's willing to.

Also, making Expendables-type of movies or action movies that harkens back to 80s and 90s action movies is not Donnie's main goal, although I believe he could easily go that route where he can just focus on the action and add the stereotypical no-brainer or simplistic content action movies are often criticized for. Nah, he sees the action movie genre differently now. He's looking into different things in martial arts to highlight whilst adding depth to story/acting and try to elevate action choreography or action movies in general on some next-level stuff. Be sure to look out for Special Identity cause that will be the closest new HK action movies will get to the genre's heyday.

of course Donnie is looking into adding other strengths to his movies beyond the action and martial arts sequences, in the same way that Jackie Chan Or Jet Li don't choose action intensive parts as they would've done in their younger days. Simply put his(or their) body can't take the strain anymore.

I sincerely hope you're right about Special Identity but in all honesty I've lost faith in Hong Kong action cinema and its ability to achieve anything near the high levels of action and/or martial arts of back then. I'm not saying there will not be good parts I just don't think we are ever going to get an action thrill ride. I'm sure we'll see the usual high polished production values and no doubt blighted by CGI, wire work and probably offering little entertainment value as you wait for something good to happen.

I guess you aren't bothering to see what Yen has been up to lately, cause he is STILL keeping the action/martial arts scenes in mind while adding other strengths to his movies. Also, I totally disagree about Donnie not taking the strain anymore. In his last three movies (Ip Man 2, The Lost Bladesman, Wu Xia) he was in exceptionally fine form, with no sign of inconsistency or slow-down in his movements nor was there too much doubling in the action scenes. He knows how to stay in great shape unlike Jackie and Jet, who have gone from staying in good shape to being washed up, so I'd say he has another 10 years before his physicality/body declines and the injuries start to catch up and take effect for real. In a recent interview, he even said that he stills feels great performing demanding movements with no problems whatsoever and will continue to do action movies for as long as his body can take it.

Yeah well, let's just wait and see how Special Identity will turn out and not get hasty with predictions that are of mere negativity, probability and concern. Too much bias makes your mind unclear and you will thereby miss out alot of good stuff. :smile2:

I have been bothering to watch Donnie Yen movies to a point. I'm not saying he doesn't have good action/martial arts sequences in his films. I'm just saying that they are generally few and far between and not usually enough to entertain for two hours. The odd exception where Ip Man had such a great story that the action wasn't a concern. Usually the drama doesn't reach those levels of quality for me. I have not seen "the lost bladesman" and "Wu Xia" but I have certainly seen " Ip Man 2" and enough of his most recent movies to know exactly what to expect. I'm not saying Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan or even Jet Li are any slower. Just their bodies don't have the same ability to perform at high levels, repeatedly over long stretches of time. None of them are hardly likely to admit their performance levels dropped but wear and tear is inevitable.

I'm also not saying I refuse to watch Donnie Yen or Hong Kong action cinema movies. All I'm saying is with my limited budget I don't rush out to see the latest Donnie Yen movie. I look at what fellow forum members are saying and judge each movie on a case-by-case basis. Whether you like to admit it but recent history tends to follow through as the likes of Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen and Jet Li movie and a lot have failed to impress. Maybe the odd one will pass through my net but eventually I'll catch up. Although it's a fairly safe bet that if a large segment of this forum are not raving about it, it's only going to be so good.

I have to agree my bias has made me miss good films and I am rectifying that watching some great older movies. But I'm afraid until Hong Kong cinema and Hollywood continues their scattergun approach targeting a mass audience, I don't think we will ever see the same high notes… With the odd exception… Again. Just safe, sanitised, pro China propaganda, xenophobic, anti-Western etc etc.

We talk about the next generation of kung fu stars but soon there won't be many great fight choreographers or those experienced in great action movies left making movies. Who's making great action films these days? Who in Hong Kong is competing to up the stakes? When Ong Bak happened HK didn't meet the challenge. What has changed? Nothing in my opinion. All there is left is the fading memory of great Hong Kong action cinema and China watering things down.

I have been bothering to watch Donnie Yen movies to a point. I'm not saying he doesn't have good action/martial arts sequences in his films. I'm just saying that they are generally few and far between and not usually enough to entertain for two hours. The odd exception where Ip Man had such a great story that the action wasn't a concern. Usually the drama doesn't reach those levels of quality for me. I have not seen "the lost bladesman" and "Wu Xia" but I have certainly seen " Ip Man 2" and enough of his most recent movies to know exactly what to expect. I'm not saying Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan or even Jet Li are any slower. Just their bodies don't have the same ability to perform at high levels, repeatedly over long stretches of time. None of them are hardly likely to admit their performance levels dropped but wear and tear is inevitable.

Usually not enough to be entertaining for whom? Mostly that's has more to do with how each viewer wants, expects, or straight out feel about watching something as a whole. But it's nonsense judging a movie just on how much ingredients (in this case, the fight scenes) there is going to be and the space between those throughout the course of the running time. But whatever, if that's how you feel about it.

As for people not having the same amount of physical ability to perform at higher levels, it takes trained eyes and knowledge to detect how much or little there is in certain performers to see what they are still maintaining. There's no need to get performers to admit their declination in performance when you can just observe and compare with past and present. People reaching middle-age may be declining in body activity and health but with the right amount of training and conditioning, you can still keep your shape intact and perform well enough to be stable and fit as if you were younger. Like I said, Donnie has been into training and conditioning which he have been ever since he explored other martial arts styles in his early teens. He may have declined a little compared to 20 years ago but his profound background in martial arts, daily body training and his incredibly recuperated determination has kept him from declining drastically unlike most performers of his generation. It's funny that people make out as if action stars at middle age always lose the edge when in fact there are exceptions. There always is to everything, and I strongly believe that Yen has another good 10 years before he really slows down. Chan and Li however are obviously past their primes and could've preserved their performance edge had they gone Yen's route of mostly keeping fit and kept themselves less busy with other things. Shame.

I look at what fellow forum members are saying and judge each movie on a case-by-case basis. Whether you like to admit it but recent history tends to follow through as the likes of Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen and Jet Li movie and a lot have failed to impress. Maybe the odd one will pass through my net but eventually I'll catch up. Although it's a fairly safe bet that if a large segment of this forum are not raving about it, it's only going to be so good.

Reading what others have to say about certain movies to judge on a case-by-case basis... That's not true judging at all. It's you building up expectations based on others' opinions and shallowly deciding whether or not to watch something. You should look at things with your own sentiments instead of basing them from others to form real opinions. If anything, these fellow (some, not most) members here who have failed to be impressed by Chan/Li/Yen/Jaa movies belong in the group that want to see the kind of action movies others (such as yourself) want to be made. But regardless, it's the total opposite mostly elsewhere where people (including action fanatics) have given praise to movies from these action performers. Your and some these fellow members' criticism are merely opinionated, nothing more. Once again, you gotta be careful with generalizing things here.

We talk about the next generation of kung fu stars but soon there won't be many great fight choreographers or those experienced in great action movies left making movies. Who's making great action films these days? Who in Hong Kong is competing to up the stakes? When Ong Bak happened HK didn't meet the challenge. What has changed? Nothing in my opinion. All there is left is the fading memory of great Hong Kong action cinema and China watering things down.

That's the result of action filmmakers going in circles - rehashing popular formulas way too much and suffering from bad criticism for lack of distinctive content - and that can pretty much be said about every action film industry. It's no longer up to a whole union of action directors and performers situated in a certain country/region (we all know Hong Kong used to be that place) to level up action movies but just small groups from around the world. These small groups - from Hong Kong, China, USA, France, Indonesia, you name it - have always met up the challenge after Ong Bak in several others aspects of general action film-making that movie itself didn't touch on and they still try to improve and change.

Donnie is still up and going and has like 3-4 movies this year with him being the action director and is going to produce movies with new martial arts talent later on - so whatever you may say or feel about him will not change the fact that Hong Kong is still trying to revive from its' declination. Then we have Gareth Evans holding it down for Indonesia doing Berandal and I hear that Vietnam is coming up with some promising action movies. That being said, where has Thailand action movies gone now? I haven't heard anything promising lately from the Thailand front apart from Jaa doing a 3D sequel to TYG (barely promising but you never know). Other than that, people seem to have lost interest since a while back which is pretty easy to figure out. Recycling and lack of quality film-making. But I'm sure they will make a comeback. That's the nature of today's action film-making: we action movie fans having to wait for certain performers or action movie crews to get going.

Guest Markgway

"Now that Expendables 3 is moving forward with Chan in the cast, the screenplay is being reworked into more of a ‘buddy action picture’ with Sly Stallone and Jackie Chan teaming up."

Is it wrong that I'm starting to get a little excited at the prospect?

"It’s likely best to take this news with a grain of salt, but Chinese Films relays news from Screen Crush that John Woo is interested in directing The Expendables 3 – as long as he has creative control and can set the film in China."

More than a little exicted now...

"The acclaimed filmmaker supposedly already has a fight scene between Jet Li and Jean-Claude Van Damme mapped out in his head, even though Van Damme wasn’t in a condition to fight anyone at the end of The Expendables 2."

I'd love to see JCVD back... but, erm, didn't his character die?

Oh, wait! Get him to play twins again!

"with actor Tom Sizemore (True Romance) up for the role of the main villain."

I thought he died of a drug overdose years ago... where's he been?

"as well as a wise-cracking female who is tough but not just a sex symbol."

Chloe Moretz as 'Hit Girl'? :tongue:

ShaOW!linDude

While this all sounds very exciting, it also sounds a bit........busy, shall we say? Too much "who all can we cram in here".

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Whoa! Okay, that sounds very promising. :smile:

I remember back in the eighties when I'd see behind the scenes stuff with Mel Gibson and he always seemed like a cool, funny guy to me.

I miss those days. :squigglemouth:

Drunks really annoy me. :neutral: But racist, sexist, woman-punching drunks truly sicken me! :tinysmile_angry2_t: My wife is DONE with Mel (yep, done with a capitol D), and I don't blame her. I still watch favorites like LETHAL WEAPON, BRAVEHEART, MAD MAX, and the ROAD WARRIOR... but I feel a little guilty about it to be honest. Hey, no one is perfect, and I know movie stars are flawed like anyone else. But the things he said and did... I don't care who you are or what you do- from out-house cleaner to the President- what he did is just horrible.

Would Mel directing EXPENDABLES 3 help me to enjoy him a little bit more? Wrong as it may be, my answer is "yes". :crossedlips:

Come on Mel, hook it the fuck up man! Use some of your pent up anger- focus it into a screenplay with macho dudes ripping terrorists to pieces... literally limb from limb... and blowing up, riddling with bullets, and setting fire to everything that's in sight. That might be just what you need. It could be therapeutic for you (and us). Plus, Mel should play one of The Expendables' old teammates, get to kick major ass, maybe save a truck full or orphans, and then go out in a blaze of glory. Like maybe strapping dynamite to himself and leaping heroically in front of an enemy's Gatling gun, as he screams "Suck on this Sugar Tits!", and being blown into a cloud of bloody gristle. That might ease the minds of some people. At the very least, it would look cool as all get out. :angel:

Archived