The Divine Move (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The director of 'Quick', Jo Beom-goo, is back with a new movie starring Jung Woo-sung and Ahn Sung-ki, which looks to combine the peaceful game of Go with some bone crunching action.

While 'Quick' wasn't everyones cup of tea due to the bawdy humour and somewhat recycled action tropes, 'The Divine Move' looks to be a huge improvement, with a gritty feel thanks to its underground gambling setting, and what looks to be plenty of grounded action, as Jung Woo-sung dishes out what Korean movies frequently do best - revenge.

Q6tDQ0Iiexw

the_divine_move-p1.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've wathed the trailer a few times and I still can't really understand what's going on? I've never heard of the game they are playing.. But it looks kinda cool.. I like the look of the room where they both for the knives and they are playing until the death..I'm interested in seeing some reviews

I've wathed the trailer a few times and I still can't really understand what's going on? I've never heard of the game they are playing.. But it looks kinda cool.. I like the look of the room where they both for the knives and they are playing until the death..I'm interested in seeing some reviews

The game is called Go. Koreans call it Baduk. It can be considered the Asian version of Chess of sorts. It still has a loyal following in Korea. The same board is used to play another game that looks more closer to chess called janggi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

From the title and trailer, on would assume that someone in the movie has a move/strategy that no one has thought of considered almost divine in nature.

Sort of liked Quick. Korea's version of Speed on a motorcycle.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one recently....along with 'No Tears for the Dead' and 'Man on High Heels', 2014 was certainly the year that the knife fight came back with a vengeance to Korean cinema! Check out my full review here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-divine-move-2014-review/

Do you think their will be a blu Ray release?

Yes, it got released on 24th December -

http://www.yesasia.com/global/1037632171-0-0-0-en/info.html

Hmmm... Reviews haven't done too much to make me want to hurry and see this. I think I'll check out 'Man on High Heels' before I see this one.

I agree with the review over at Han Cinema after having seeing this movie. Ok action without shaky cameras to ruin things. Story moves along at 1hr 30 minutes. However, certain elements and characters are textbook cookie cutter add ons that don't get enough of a backstory to make them sympathetic. A quick watchable movie but it will probably be largely be forgotten over time.

A Man on High Heels has better stylish brutal action. The main story element just might not be everyone's cup of tea.

ShaOW!linDude
Region 1 DVD is out on March 17th, with the worse cover imaginable -

A not so divine move, you might say.:tongue:

A not so divine move, you might say.:tongue:

Yeah I think it's done to get a more exploitative feel so fans can grab it, but in any case, I got an advanced copy of the U.S. Blu-Ray yesterday and I'm going to watch it today (on Spring Break this week yippee!) and will review it.

Wondering if anyone knows the name of an Asian crime movie about a “go player” that avenges his brother’s death due to his brother’s cheating during a “go game.” 

• Administrator
23 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Thank you Sir. :)

My pleasure. You should really check out that site more frequently, there's good stuff there! :BL-4YouDaMan:

4 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

My pleasure. You should really check out that site more frequently, there's good stuff there! :BL-4YouDaMan:

LMAO! Good one, man. :)

Archived