Doctor Strange (2016)

AlbertV

As many may have seen in CAPTAIN AMERICA, the resident sorcerer of the Marvel Universe was mentioned and Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige said pretty much that he wants to get a Dr. Strange movie off the ground.

The New York Daily News is reporting that horror film director Scott Derrickson (SINISTER) may be chosen to direct the Dr. Strange movie.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here's an update on the DOCTOR STRANGE movie. Unlike previous Marvel efforts, this will NOT be an origin story. The film will already have Stephen Strange as the "Supreme Sorcerer". Jon Spaihts is currently working on the screenplay and Scott Derrickson is confirmed to be directing the film.

Latino Review announced that Marvel, while having tested a few names, are in the process of making a final deal with...Joaquin Phoenix to play Doctor Strange. It is not written in stone yet, negotiations are still being handled at this time.

It looks like Joaquin Phoenix is most likely out of the running. However, another name recently popped up to possibly play the Supreme Sorcerer

Who? Ethan Hawke is the latest name...considering he starred in director Scott Derrickson's Sinister (which helped him get the Dr. Strange directing gig), it may seem possible.

Whoever gets the role will play Dr. Strange in six films!

Benedict Cumberbatch To Play ‘Doctor Strange’

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel has finally found its Doctor Strange. I’m hearing Benedict Cumberbatch is in final negotiations for the superhero pic. The news comes after talks with Joaquin Phoenix around the time of Comic-Con went south, and Marvel went back to the drawing board. With names like Jared Leto and Tom Hardy also in the mix, this is obviously a big job.

Cumberbatch is in the Oscar hunt this year for The Imitation Game, the Alan Turing biopic that the Weinstein Co is priming for a November 21 release. His hot streak has included winning the Emmy for playing Sherlock Holmes on the BBC/PBS hit Sherlock.

Phoenix never had a deal, and Marvel quickly got into it with other actors to play Doctor Strange in a free-standing film.

Scott Derrickson is directing Doctor Strange and Jon Spaihts is writing the script for the pic (the first draft was penned by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer). Doctor Strange was hatched by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko during that Marvel Comics heyday of the early 1960s. He’s a neurosurgeon who becomes Sorcerer Supreme, protecting Earth against magical and mystical threats with powers of sorcery, mysticism, and martial arts. Marvel’s Kevin Feige is producing.

ljjgszqqh5vqa3tr62ul.jpg

I just don't see this film. Doctor Strange seems like such an odd character to go for. I'm genuinely intrigued as to what they will do.

I didn't think much of Derrickson's "Sinister," but I recently watched "Deliver Us From Evil" and I loved it.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

From the movie.

DR%20STRANGE2.jpg

From the comic book.

dr-strange-is.jpeg?width=570&height=300

HMMM hard to say what to expect.

The likeness to the comic book is pretty good would you say.

Who is the Marvel Kung Fu comic character.

I think there is another.

Deadly_Hands_of_Kung_Fu_Vol_1_18.jpg

Ahhh the Golden Dragon Saga.................get it LOL!

Here it is:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh8N6w0IxLXbK2S-aHAavVQAQ23Br6Zq_owg8G5HPeFFimX7ea

Its time for Marvel to rock with some kung fu you all.

Looks like Shang Chi is looking for the Dragon...............here I am.

Ooooops I think he means the other Dragon...............watch out Dragon.

:xd:

GD Y-Y

There actually was a TV-movie made in 1978 that starred Peter Hooten as the Supreme Sorcerer and Jessica Walter of Arrested Development as his nemesis Morgana Le Fay. Very cheesy and has a bit of cult value.

o_Dr.Strange.bmp.jpg

I'm actually hoping Benedict makes the deal...he would be pretty good IMO.

Noelle Shadow Kick

I'm actually hoping Benedict makes the deal...he would be pretty good IMO.

I think he'd be a great Doctor Strange. It sounds very much like Marvel casting, I'll bet they work it out.

I think he'd be a great Doctor Strange. It sounds very much like Marvel casting, I'll bet they work it out.

They did.....it is official...Benedict Cumberbatch is DOCTOR STRANGE!!!

Bill Nighy, Morgan Freeman, and Ken Watanabe are on the shortlist to play Dr. Strange's mentor, The Ancient One. However, as this is not an origin story, the amount of screen time is not known

Now it appears that they are doing something different in terms of casting.

Tilda Swinton is now in negotiations to play Stephen Strange's mentor, The Ancient One. That would prove to be quite fascinating IMO as she's been known to pull some off some interesting roles well (like in Snowpiercer for example). Shooting begins in November.

Noelle Shadow Kick

Tilda Swinton is now in negotiations to play Stephen Strange's mentor, The Ancient One. That would prove to be quite fascinating IMO as she's been known to pull some off some interesting roles well (like in Snowpiercer for example). Shooting begins in November.

I would be all about this. She nails every role she has.

Vulture has revealed that Chiwetel Ejiofor (Redbelt, 12 Years a Slave) will be playing Dr. Strange's nemesis, Baron Mordo!

This is quickly turning into my favourite cast for a superhero film, Chiwetel Ejiofor in particular, he is a great actor and he's got good action chops, if you've seen Serenity, and Redbelt.

Sammo would nail this role; or preferably one of these four:

*Chow Yun Fat

*Sho Kusugi

*Tony Leung

*Beat Takashi

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The supporting cast are far more interesting to me than Stephen. I wished Doctor Strange would have been Edgar Ramirez or an Asian actor. Once Kevin Fiege starting talking quantum physics rather than magic, I tuned out.

I hope people enjoy it, I like Scott Derrickson's recent work (Deliver Us From Evil was quite good in a not scary but faith based way.) I wish him all the best with this. He's got a very good cast and he's just off kilter enough to make it work.

I'll skip though, not a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Secret Executioner
Sammo would nail this role; or preferably one of these four:

*Chow Yun Fat

*Sho Kusugi

*Tony Leung

*Beat Takashi

Having Sammo in a comic book movie would be quite nice IMO. :nerd:

A few updates:

Mads Mikkelsen is up for a villain role alongside the already confirmed Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo. If this is true, my guess is he will do his scenes after Star Wars: Rogue One. Rachel McAdams has pretty much said she will play the lead female role in the film. 

I personally think that Dr.Strange should have been played by Daniel day lewis or Ethan Hawke.They have the look and the acting chops to pull it off.

Well, Mads Mikkelsen has revealed that the rumor about him possibly being cast is not true, yet he said if he is given the call, he will be happy to do it!

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Bummer about Mads, but hey at least he's in Rogue One in some form. And after seeing Ethan Hawke in one of Scott's recent horror films (Sinister?), yeah he'd make a great Stephen Strange. Ah well. 

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Sticking to the origin (at least partly anyway.) And speaking of sticking, I'll probably stick with renting this one. :cool

Archived