Shaolin Vs Ninja Widescreen & English Dubbed

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

I was surprised to see that Bounce TV played Shaolin Vs Ninja in widescreen with english dubbing last night. The only version I've got is the poor quality pan & scan from Ground Zero released a decade and a half ago.

The aspect ratio of the Bounce version was 2.35:1 and was clean, no faded colors. English dubbed, but also, censored. E.g. there was a scene of a father being beheaded by japanese, but it cut away just as the samurai was raising his sword, and next you see him throwing down a bloody white tissue. You don't even see him wiping his sword.

Anyway, does anyone know if this clean widescreen version was released on DVD? Amazon lists a few of them, but i can't tell if they're widescreen.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaolivevil

I caught this last night as well. A few weeks back, they showed Snake In The Eagle's Shadow...

I was wondering if anyone else saw this channel... a few weeks ago they showed a near-perfect widescreen English dubbed version of John Liu' s Shaolin Ex Monk. I've never seen that version released or available anywhere. Going to have to start to DVR these!

I was surprised to see that Bounce TV played Shaolin Vs Ninja in widescreen with english dubbing last night. The only version I've got is the poor quality pan & scan from Ground Zero released a decade and a half ago.

The aspect ratio of the Bounce version was 2.35:1 and was clean, no faded colors. English dubbed, but also, censored. E.g. there was a scene of a father being beheaded by japanese, but it cut away just as the samurai was raising his sword, and next you see him throwing down a bloody white tissue. You don't even see him wiping his sword.

Anyway, does anyone know if this clean widescreen version was released on DVD? Amazon lists a few of them, but i can't tell if they're widescreen.

To answer your question, yes. Rarescope put out a double feature that had Shaolin vs Ninja in dubbed widescreen.

1389221h.jpg

kungfusamurai

Thanks for the heads up on that rarescope DVD!

Bounce is playing Once Upon A Time In China V next week, and Blade of Fury the following week, in case any one is interested.

kungfusamurai

I just got my hands on the rarescope DVD, and I can safely say it's NOT the same source as the version played on Bounce.

For one thing, the Bounce version was crisp, and looked like it was from a film print, but a well preserved one. The Rarescope version is obviously from a VHS source, and is not so crisp, with the images (e.g. people) not looking as well-defined, and colours are not quite natural.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for more of the Bounce presentations! Other than the fact they're censored (the decapitation scene I mentioned in my first post was intact on the rarescope version), it sounds like they're playing cleaned up prints!

Archived