Horror films

DiP

I just finished watching Dennis Yu's The Imp which was a great blend of Rosemary's Baby and The Omen but, of course, done HK-style (featuring feng shui as the main subject matter).

Apart from the popular spooky sub-genre (Encounter of the Spooky Kind, Mr. Vampire) films and films based on real-life murderers (The Untold Story), I'm not too familiar with Hong Kong horrors so I would love to know which films to watch. Anything made in the 80s in particular to look out for? I'm about to get Leung Po-Chi's He Lives By Night which, from the synopsis, sounds like a loose remake of Brian De Palma's excellent Dressed to Kill.

abbotwhite

Yeah, "He Lives By Night" is very "Dressed to Kill" but with some added hilarity of bumbling cops Kent and less bumbling Simon Yam.

It was a big hit in HK and the sight of poor Eddie in drag is quite horrific.

There are quite a few HK horrors. Shaws did a whole bunch of Hex movies (vs witchcraft, vs Hex etc).

There are a number of "Troublesome Night" movies.

I quite like "Blood Reincarnation" which aired on BBC2 back in the 90s.

Last year there was a 2 movie anthology called "Tales From the Dark 1 & 2" which was of variable quality. Part 1 was generally better though.

masterofoneinchpunch

The best gonzo (the two spooky examples you gave were comedy horror) Shaw Brothers horror to me is The Boxer's Omen (from the 80s) which I prefer over ones like Black Magic, Black Magic 2 and Seeding of a Ghost. All of these fit into the serious "black magic" subgenre.

I'm suspecting you have seen Human Lanterns (1982)?

Great (sarcasm): Hong Kong Rewind had an excellent article on Shaw Brothers horror which is now protected (login only.) Bastards!

One of my favorite psychological HK horrors was Inner Senses which was Leslie Cheung's last film which has a scene somewhat prescient to Cheung's later suicide.

A nice little book which covers some of this is Asian Horror (2010) by Andy Richards which has a section on HK horror. The books is usually pretty cheap and a quick read so it is a good starter (if interested I could post all the HK horrors and my comments on them that he recommends). I have another book on Asian horror, but I have not read it (I would have to find it to remember the title.)

masterofoneinchpunch
I've been collating a list of HK horror films from the 70's/80's /90's/00's/10's since since 2008. It's by no means a definitive list, but I like to think it's reasonably representative.

Hong Kong (HK) 70's/80's /90's/00's/10's Horror Movies

That's cool (I added it to my favorites), but to help out DiP what do you consider worthy or must watches. For example I think Boxer's Omen is a much better film than Corpse Mania. The Eye a must watch.

Dumplings: don't forget this comes in a full length version along with the cut version in Three Extremes -- so I would consider that a separate release to add to your page. I have only seen the short though and not really considering anytime soon to watch the long version :).

That's cool (I added it to my favorites), but to help out DiP what do you consider worthy or must watches. For example I think Boxer's Omen is a much better film than Corpse Mania. The Eye a must watch.

Hmmm. Seventh Curse (1986) (a Wisely/Wesley movie), Thunder Cops (aka Operation Pink Squad 2) (1989), The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974), Bio-zombie (1998), A Chinese Ghost Story (1987), and Evil Cat (1987) is a good start.

Sadly, there's quite a few in my list that I haven't seen.

masterofoneinchpunch
... I have another book on Asian horror, but I have not read it (I would have to find it to remember the title.)

Found it. The book is Spooky Encounters: A Gwailo's Guide to Hong Kong Horror by Daniel O'Brien released in 2003. It began as a two-part article from the Shivers magazine. I have not read it, just skimmed it a bit but I can see it concentrates more on supernatural (especially ghosts and kyonsi) horror. If you need any more info about it or the movies listed in it, just ask.

EDIT: this is not too knowledgable about the Shaw horror films (given the year not too surprising). While it mentions Seeding of a Ghost (also making the mistake of thinking it is an early horror for Shaw) and has lots of writing on Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, it does not mention Boxer's Omen, either Black Magic, Killer Snakes, Oily Maniac, Hex, Corpse Mania.

I have a few Chinese horror but generally they are not as scary as Thai, Korean and Japanese horrors. Some in my collection just border on the fantasy side of things.

16677370313787378225456551474862.jpg

16677370508997631696094597007493.jpg

16677370652575425889176328837146.jpg

16677370880112684418917481220691.jpg

16677371045846644013518859559976.jpg

1667737115811664009136773695232.jpg

16677371368474866473244564050166.jpg

16677371495197266340922072628235.jpg

16677371607535582305086481170128.jpg

16677371869407314519773781468145.jpg

16677371991567274193885548260578.jpg

16677372127027903454947987662872.jpg

16677372245076283650533935887245.jpg

16677372344055311559110827076686.jpg

• Like 3

legendarycurry

Uncut version of Patrick Tam's Love Massacre (1981) has been digitized from LD source and personally subtitled by an awesome fan. As a Birgitte Lin fan I am excited to check it out! It is available on youtube but I haven't contacted the uploader personally. I know from their Reddit history that they want people to see it and that they plan on putting it on archive.org . If you are at all interested, simply search for the film on youtube: Love Massacre uncut or any other similar search queries.

• Like 3

legendarycurry

Earlier today i asked a question on whether or not Hex (1980) is the first part of a franchise of films and if Bewitched is part of it. I got the following response from one of our awesome forum members: "I don't think so. From what I heard, Bewitched is related to The boxer's omen, while Hex, Hex vs Witchcraft and Hex after Hex are a kind of trilogy. "

my response to their answer is below:

Thank you very much for your response! It's interesting because all these films share a director, and all but Hex have the same writer too. I think that is what got me confused.

Also,all the films with "hex" in the title use the chinese character Xiè which means evil I think. Hex is known simply as "Xiè" whereas Hex Versus Witchcraft is know as "Xiè dòu Xié" (Evil against evil). Hex After Hex is called "Xié Wan Zài Xié" (Evil after evil).

The Boxer's Omen also has a one character title in Chinese : "Mó" (magic) and Bewitched is known as yet another one character title: "Gû" (insanity) putting  both together as"Gû mó" in translate gives me "Bewitched" lol :)

Adding the" Xié" from Hex' title still makes it "bewitched" whereas"Xié gû mó" becomes "evil monster" , "Xiemo" becomes "Demon" hmmm.. :D

I could go on experimenting with just these three characters and the characters "dòu" and "Wán Zái", in fact "Xie Gú Mó Xié wán Zái xié becomes "After the evil monster fights the evil, it will be evil again" great title for a new entry in this "series" right? :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later today I realized the following while on HKMDB:

Oh snap there seems to be more to it as the 1982 film from the same director and writer as the Hex and Bewitched and Boxer's Omen films "Curse Of Evil" is yet another in the "Xie" series of titles. I think this is how it goes based on titles and release year:

The Xie (Evil) aka   franchise from Kuei Chih-Hung ( I chose to call it the Evil franchise or "邪" franchise instead of "Hex" because one film does not have Hex in its English title):

Hex (1980) .
Hex Versus Witchcraft (1980) 邪鬥邪,
Hex After Hex (1982) 邪完再邪

Curse Of Evil (1982)邪咒
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure Chinese speaking audiences figured this out eons ago, but it was news to me that 1. Hex or "Xie" is a four film franchise and 2. that all but one of them have the word Hex in their English titles!

legendarycurry
On 11/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, legendarycurry said:

Uncut version of Patrick Tam's Love Massacre (1981) has been digitized from LD source and personally subtitled by an awesome fan. As a Birgitte Lin fan I am excited to check it out! It is available on youtube but I haven't contacted the uploader personally. I know from their Reddit history that they want people to see it and that they plan on putting it on archive.org . If you are at all interested, simply search for the film on youtube: Love Massacre uncut or any other similar search queries.

Upfated version available now:

legendarycurry
17 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Earlier today i asked a question on whether or not Hex (1980) is the first part of a franchise of films and if Bewitched is part of it. I got the following response from one of our awesome forum members: "I don't think so. From what I heard, Bewitched is related to The boxer's omen, while Hex, Hex vs Witchcraft and Hex after Hex are a kind of trilogy. "

my response to their answer is below:

Thank you very much for your response! It's interesting because all these films share a director, and all but Hex have the same writer too. I think that is what got me confused.

Also,all the films with "hex" in the title use the chinese character Xiè which means evil I think. Hex is known simply as "Xiè" whereas Hex Versus Witchcraft is know as "Xiè dòu Xié" (Evil against evil). Hex After Hex is called "Xié Wan Zài Xié" (Evil after evil).

The Boxer's Omen also has a one character title in Chinese : "Mó" (magic) and Bewitched is known as yet another one character title: "Gû" (insanity) putting  both together as"Gû mó" in translate gives me "Bewitched" lol :)

Adding the" Xié" from Hex' title still makes it "bewitched" whereas"Xié gû mó" becomes "evil monster" , "Xiemo" becomes "Demon" hmmm.. :D

I could go on experimenting with just these three characters and the characters "dòu" and "Wán Zái", in fact "Xie Gú Mó Xié wán Zái xié becomes "After the evil monster fights the evil, it will be evil again" great title for a new entry in this "series" right? :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later today I realized the following while on HKMDB:

Oh snap there seems to be more to it as the 1982 film from the same director and writer as the Hex and Bewitched and Boxer's Omen films "Curse Of Evil" is yet another in the "Xie" series of titles. I think this is how it goes based on titles and release year:

The Xie (Evil) aka   franchise from Kuei Chih-Hung ( I chose to call it the Evil franchise or "邪" franchise instead of "Hex" because one film does not have Hex in its English title):

Hex (1980) .
Hex Versus Witchcraft (1980) 邪鬥邪,
Hex After Hex (1982) 邪完再邪

Curse Of Evil (1982)邪咒
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure Chinese speaking audiences figured this out eons ago, but it was news to me that 1. Hex or "Xie" is a four film franchise and 2. that all but one of them have the word Hex in their English titles!

Adding further to this. the Boxer's Omen is clearly a sequel to Bewitched. I am watching the former right now after having watched the latter and well they make direct reference to Magusu from the first film while incorporating some stock footage from Bewitched even.