Pedro Pascal (Oberyn Martell on Game of Thrones) Trained with Master Hu for Role

Noelle Shadow Kick

Noelle Shadow Kick

Pedro Pascal, who plays Oberyn Martell on Game of Thrones, recently did an extremely charming Reddit AMA. In it he talks about how his character's fighting syle is inspired by wushu, so I thought I'd share! This Sunday we'll see what it ends up looking like, I couldn't be more excited!

Oberyn is one of the greatest warriors in Westeros, what kind of training did you have to undertake to help fit with this trait of his?

First, thank you VERY very much. That’s always amazing for me to hear. And the production of Game of Thrones actually put me in some pre-training before I went to Europe to start shooting. I was put intro some classes with a master of Wushu, an acrobatic martial art, and they put me with a master, his name is Master Hu, and he has a studio in Los Angeles where he sort of basically showed me the basics and taught me how to fight with a spear and twist my body around and move in ways I never thought possible. And this was a guy who actually did Shaolin movies with Jet Li very early in Jet Li’s career, and fought alongside him as his sidekick, so he was the real deal. Then once I got to Europe and started shooting, there were really intensive fight rehearsals with me and the stunt team that was headed by C.C. Smiff, and other actors, and we did a lot of fight choreography and rehearsals. The Oberyn style of fighting is inspired by Wushu

Uproxx collected the best tidbits from the AMA here for those interested.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived