The Troma Connection

AlbertV

Hey guys,

I was just thinking about something recently. I'm quite a cult film fan, notably Troma Films. I'm slowly realizing that some recognizable names today got their start at one point or another with Troma films or appeared in Troma films.

While Troma is known for the craziness that is its trademark, they started out churning teen comedies and such before they hit it big with The Toxic Avenger.

Troma co-founder and their chief director, Lloyd Kaufman, worked as a location manager and pre-production supervisor for Rocky (1976) and appears in the opening title sequence as a bum. He also did location managing for Saturday Night Fever (1977). Kaufman's wife Patricia is the executive director of the New York State Governor's Office for Motion Picture and Television Development and the deputy commissioner of Empire State Development. In other words, she is the Film Commissioner for New York!

Here are some I thought of:

Billy Bob Thornton - Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town (1990)

Vincent D'Onofrio from Law and Order: Criminal Intent and Full Metal Jacket - The First Turn-On (1982)

Oliver Stone - The Battle of Love's Return (one of the first Troma films in 1971) and associate producer of Sugar Cookies (1973)

Samuel L. Jackson - Def By Temptation (1990)

Kadeem Hardison- Def By Temptation (1990)

Bill Nunn from Do the Right Thing and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy - Def By Tempation (1990)

Kevin Costner - Sizzle Beach USA (1974)

Marisa Tomei - The Toxic Avenger (1984)

Michael Jai White - The Toxic Avenger Part II and The Toxic Avenger Part III (both 1989)

James Gunn, director of the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy - co-wrote Tromeo and Juliet (1996) and appeared in Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger Part IV (2001) in a cameo as "Dr. Flem Hocking

Corey Feldman - Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger Part IV (2001) in a cameo as Sarah's OB/GYN

Stan Lee - narrated Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger Part IV (2001) and Return to Nuke 'Em High Vol. 1 (2013)

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of South Park - Cannibal! The Musical (1990)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LemmyThePirate

Hell yes, Troma rocks, long live ART! I got to see Return to Nuke Em High in theaters with a great Q&A with Lloyd, was a beautiful thing.

It looks like the long awaited finale...Return to Return to Nuke 'Em High AKA Vol. 2 is finally coming out this year as Lloyd Kaufman unleashed a brand new trailer over the weekend. The film will be marked as the final film performances of Lemmy (who played the President of the United States) and Troma's "action hero" Joe Fleishaker, who passed away in 2015 and 2016 respectively.

This one got away from me, but back this past May, there was some sad news on the Troma front. John Altamura, one of the two actors who played The Toxic Avenger in the two-part 1989 sequels, died of a heart attack. His sister announced the news on social media. After his Toxie stint, Altamura would appear in a series of 90's straight-to-video softcore comedies starring Marilyn Chambers.

MV5BMjM1OTIzNDg2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUz

For those wondering about the other actor to play Toxie, Ron Fazio, he lives with his family in North Carolina and hopes to one day return to films but in smaller roles.

220px-Nightbeast.jpg

I just learned about this one...in 1982, Troma released a film called Nightbeast. One of the film's composers was a guy by the name of Jeffrey Abrams. You know this guy today as the force behind Alias, Lost, and Star Wars Episodes VII & Star Wars Episode IX, J.J. Abrams.

Archived