Shaw Brothers Hidden Gems.

Drunken Arts

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MasterCollector
9 Demons really needs to be seen in Chinese. That dub is awful!

Yes very true. The Dub is bad, I wish they would rerelease 9 Demons and give it a proper release.

Yes very true. The Dub is bad, I wish they would rerelease 9 Demons and give it a proper release.

haha, I love the names they use in the dub - Gary & Steven if I remember correct.

MasterCollector
haha, I love the names they use in the dub - Gary & Steven if I remember correct.

The names are Gary and Joey. The dub sounds as if somebody made it at their house or something, and it's quite awful. So many good films laying around that need a good release. I was happy when I heard about the Jimmy Wang Yu collection containing some of his classics in better format.

Little dragon maiden is not much talked about,but I enjoyed it greatly. Giant condor was bit silly but that is only downer and luckily was shown few minutes only. While not much different in tone from long road to gallantry I liked this lot more.

Fights are great and story is good too. Lo Lieh has small but great role as toad kung-fu master. When I watched this 1st time few years ago I did not ID him(this may sound stupid but his name is not credited in IVL cover and in movie he is buried under wig and beard and role opposite to serious ones I have gotten used to see him).

Morgoth Bauglir

The final fight in HK Godfather is my favorite movie scene. Not many people knew about it outside of the UK I think. But luckily Funimation blessed us with a remastered uncut version, and it is a little bit more well known now. I think it can still be considered a hidden gem. It doesn't get talked about a lot. There used to be more discussion about it when it was still considered semi rare.

I imported the Region 1 version here to the UK, have not got round to watching it yet but certainly look forward to it.

The final fight in HK Godfather is my favorite movie scene. Not many people knew about it outside of the UK I think. But luckily Funimation blessed us with a remastered uncut version, and it is a little bit more well known now. I think it can still be considered a hidden gem. It doesn't get talked about a lot. There used to be more discussion about it when it was still considered semi rare.

Certainly. When the only version available was the cut one there was a lot of discussion about it and if/when it'd get released.

Then you had people like me who hadn't seen it, in anticipation/hope of it actually getting an uncut release. Then it got released and the movie delivered on all fronts. The final fight is one of the greatest put to film, IMO.

My pick is Painted Faces, another that is yet to be released and is somewhat overlooked despite its, and possibly also because of it being made after Shaw Brothers had slowed their film activity down.

It's a great drama, with some excellent acting performances.

Little dragon maiden is not much talked about,but I enjoyed it greatly. Giant condor was bit silly but that is only downer and luckily was shown few minutes only. While not much different in tone from long road to gallantry I liked this lot more.

Fights are great and story is good too. Lo Lieh has small but great role as toad kung-fu master. When I watched this 1st time few years ago I did not ID him(this may sound stupid but his name is not credited in IVL cover and in movie he is buried under wig and beard and role opposite to serious ones I have gotten used to see him).

If you liked this & the other B.A. movies, you should see Legend of the Condors & Return of the Condors (1982 or 83).

These 2 series fill in a lot of the story - Felix Wong is Guo Jing & Andy Lau is Yang Kang in the 2nd. Good to see them both early on in their careers & they do a good job.

Oh - the Condor is silly in any version :biggrin: You really need to see him with Andy Lau (Cool story in their scene not in the movies).

Secret Executioner

The Pirate (1973)

A film very few seem to be mentionning on here, yet it's one I really enjoyed - might as well be in my top 15 if not top 10 favorite SB films. Mentionned it in the "Best Shaw film you've seen" thread a few days ago, and I'd recommend it even if you're not a Chang Cheh, Ti Lung and/or David Chiang completist.

Well, of course it depends on how you define "hidden gem". But there is a ton of lesser known Shaw movies out there which should not be missed.

Some of my favorites:

- What Price Honesty

- Duel for Gold

- Oath of Death

- Lady with a Sword (man, that was a nice massacre at the end :smile:)

- Black Tavern

- Night of the Devil´s Bride

- All mixed up (pure Comedy, no Martial Arts)

- Imperial Swordsman

Also recommended:

- The Rescue

- The Fugitive

- Lady is the Boss

- Ambush

- Devil´s Mirror

- Usurpers of Emperor´s Power

- Sons of good Earth

- Dragon Missile

- The Criminals Series (maybe not for everyone but I enjoyed those short stories)

But I think searching for hidden gems makes it way too complicated.

Simply watch all Shaw movies and there won´t be any hidden gems anymore. :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner

Found the IVL release of Dragon Missile on yesasia and was wondering what it was worth... It has Lo Lieh in it so I figured it should be a good one, but thanks for confirming my pick. :tongue:

Found the IVL release of Dragon Missile on yesasia and was wondering what it was worth... It has Lo Lieh in it so I figured it should be a good one, but thanks for confirming my pick. :tongue:

It`s great if you like flying guillotine style of movies.

Eastern Evil
It`s great if you like flying guillotine style of movies.

I think it's under rated. It had Ku Feng, Fan Mei Sheng, Norman Cu in smaller roles (off the top of my head) - it has Lau Wing, & Lo Lieh in starring roles, so in my book, it's a must see!

...then make your own opinion :wink2:

Dragon missile is a very good one and it's rare to see Liu Yung as the lead in a movie, so, don't miss it.

Lo Lieh is great in all his roles. I watched it a while ago and I wouldn't be able to say a word about the plot, but I remember that I really enjoyed it for the plot and for the fights as well.

I don't remember much about Dragon Missile either, but I really enjoyed it too! What I do remember is that even though Lo Lieh is the antagonist, he gets more screen time than just about anyone else.

I think I'd add Kidnap to the "Hidden Gems" list of mine. Really cool non- MA Shaw.

Deadly Breaking Sword and The Proud Youth are both great Sun Chung wuxias that don't get the recognition his other films do.

Archived