Shaw Brothers Hidden Gems.

Drunken Arts

Drunken Arts

Ive Only seen the following:

1. Web Of Death: Remember thinking it was just OK, not bad at all, but not as good as Chor's other work. But still Solid.

5. House Of Traps: I really enjoyed this, despite "some" of the so-called traps being abit "Meh", it was still a fun Venoms film. Really want to watch it again.

10. Legend Of The Fox: Really good, No, Excellent first half, i got so into this film, while the second half wasnt bad, it was the intrigue and "Whats going on here then" of the first half that made it for me personally.

So all IMO are well worth the watch, but House Of Traps just pips the other 2 personally.

A question, did Bastard Swordsman and Return Of The Bastard Swordsman get individual IVL releases or was it only released in the boxset?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
...A question, did Bastard Swordsman and Return Of The Bastard Swordsman get individual IVL releases or was it only released in the boxset?

There were/are individual VCD releases (as well as the R1 individual releases which are now OOP), but I have not seen any single releases (yesasia only has the boxset listed from their past inventory -- mentioned as out-of-stock of course.)

Drunken Arts
There were/are individual VCD releases (as well as the R1 individual releases which are now OOP), but I have not seen any single releases (yesasia only has the boxset listed from their past inventory -- mentioned as out-of-stock of course.)

Cheers, I think i have shot myself in the foot, I ordered the IVL DVD of Return/Bastard Swordsman, Which i got today, but not wanting to watch a sequel before watching the first part, I've looked for part 1, specifically the IVL and all i get in google is the boxset...

I best keep my eye out for the R1 version..

Cheers again.

Eastern Evil
Cheers, I think i have shot myself in the foot, I ordered the IVL DVD of Return/Bastard Swordsman, Which i got today, but not wanting to watch a sequel before watching the first part, I've looked for part 1, specifically the IVL and all i get in google is the boxset...

Cheers again.

I don't think it will mess you up to watch it 1st.

You won't spoil anything.

Secret Executioner

Cheers again.

Perhaps it's a good thing you got it when you could. I remember not getting some movies or books as I wanted to get the ones that came before it. As a result, I may have found these releases, but it seems like I can not find the movie or book I passed anymore... :squigglemouth:

My two favorite Shaw Bros hidden gems are Fast Fingers and The Imposter. I would also recommend The Fighting Fool, if only for the action and comedy. The "37th Chamber" gag is especially funny. Only recommended if you can get passed the sometimes ludicrous/revolting humor and if you can make it passed Chu Wong, who makes for a terrible co-lead. The first 10 minutes especially are "classic-material."

While I don't think I have anything new to add here, I'd like to throw my two cents in.

First, as I am sure a few of you expect, are a couple flicks featuring Lo Lieh...

Duel for Gold

I only saw this within the last couple of months, and from the Chor Yuen movie's I have seen, it is definitely one of my favorite. It's structure (beginning with the ending and narration, than leading up to that point.) is fantastic and something I have not seen in any other Shaw that I can think of. The plot is easy to follow (A Chor Yuen movie you say, what?!), costumes are good, action is great and fast, and the strong theme of the movie is probably its best asset.

Invincible Fist

Everything you like about Chang Cheh movies, + Lo Lieh as a bad ass stoic hero.

Savage Five

Similar to the story of Seven Samurai with the feel of a western. Chang Cheh and one of his all-star teams. Simple story, fun, well acted characters, and some great basher-style action. Oh, and Chen Kuan Tai with an axe.

Monkey Kung Fu

Most monkey-like monkey style in a Shaw film, and also the most "shapes-like" shapes in a Shaw film. Honestly it feels like an indie out of Taiwan with way better production value.

Delightful Forest

My favorite all around performance from Ti Lung(not my favorite movie that he is in), yet it seems you hear of many other films before this one when his name is brought up.

Tiger Killer and The Flying Guillotine are both fantastic drama movies.

I've been abit slack on here recently.. so busy..

I got Duel for Gold delivered last month and yet to watch it, i am looking forward to it..

Yet to watch my Monkey Kung Fu too.

Invincible Fist was excellent, really enjoyed it. As were Savage 5 and one of my favourites Delightful Forest.

Im sitting here trying to think of the best one i've seen these past couple of weeks, erm...

Oh yeah The Enchatress, had no idea what it was about or like, and thought it was crazy, lots of fun.

I've got to say i really enjoyed Ambitious Kung Fu Girl too

Also guys anyone like "Brotherhood" and "Hex"?

Tiger Killer and The Flying Guillotine are both fantastic drama movies.

I would not put them into same basket. Flying Guillotine is clearly movie where martial arts is relevant even as there is not much action. Tiger Killer is drama which could have been directed with basic level punches only.

I would not put them into same basket. Flying Guillotine is clearly movie where martial arts is relevant even as there is not much action. Tiger Killer is drama which could have been directed with basic level punches only.

Agreed, good call

I agree too, im going to add,

If i were to pick one to show a friend or family member i'd go for Tiger Killer, i think alot of my friends see these old Shaw movies as typical kung fu flicks, they have alot to learn lol :nerd:

As matter of fact i have a friend over tomorrow night, i recently played him "Killer Clans" which he was blown away by, citing films like "The Godfather" and "The Usual Suspects" and im going to play him "Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan" but may just change it to "Tiger Killer"

I agree too, im going to add,

If i were to pick one to show a friend or family member i'd go for Tiger Killer, i think alot of my friends see these old Shaw movies as typical kung fu flicks, they have alot to learn lol :nerd:

As matter of fact i have a friend over tomorrow night, i recently played him "Killer Clans" which he was blown away by, citing films like "The Godfather" and "The Usual Suspects" and im going to play him "Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan" but may just change it to "Tiger Killer"

I never thought of it like that, but you have a good point. Introducing these films to someone who assumes they're "corny", you may be better off showing a movie with less fighting. So it's easier to appreciate that there is a lot more to many of these films than fighting.

I would say to show him King Boxer, but I guess it is fight heavy and had a few OTT scenes so it may be hard to see past that.. But that movie has depth in character, plot and themes for sure.

How about Blood Brothers?

I never thought of it like that, but you have a good point. Introducing these films to someone who assumes they're "corny", you may be better off showing a movie with less fighting. So it's easier to appreciate that there is a lot more to many of these films than fighting.

I would say to show him King Boxer, but I guess it is fight heavy and had a few OTT scenes so it may be hard to see past that.. But that movie has depth in character, plot and themes for sure.

How about Blood Brothers?

I couldn't of worded it better PaiMeiFist :) and yeah "Blood Brothers" is a good call, and one night i'll have to slap on something like "Five Element Ninja" or "Shaolin Intruders" to pull the rug from under him and say to him, "Here we'll have a blast with this" lol, which no doubt he'd love too. I can see this being fun.

But like i say, i want to start him off with the likes of "Killer Clans" "Tiger Killer "Chinese Courtesan", and looking at my collection now and maybe titles like "Jade Tiger" & "Vengeance!" ect. Just to say to him, look not all of these are like your "Drunken Master" & "Magnificent Butcher" etc

I have "The Teahouse" which i have not even seen yet, but get the feeling this is possibly one of those types of films..

Secret Executioner

I have Blood Brothers on DVD, looks like a really good one. :bigsmile: Dang, so many good movies and so little time...

I have Blood Brothers on DVD, looks like a really good one. :bigsmile: Dang, so many good movies and so little time...

BB(not big brother) is fantastic, you have both drama and enough martial arts there. I re-re-re screened it few days ago.

BB(not big brother) is fantastic, you have both drama and enough martial arts there. I re-re-re screened it few days ago.

Yup, it's a classic with some of the best acting performances from everyone involved, and a good story. You will like it GHW.

NoKUNGFUforYU

If you're looking for little seen Shaw's flicks, you can try and find a copy of Shanghai Lil(PM me.)

I enjoyed it, even if it's Shaw's pedigree is in dispute. Chin Han and Shih Szu make a great pair, and this one did ok in the US, so it's a little piece of history in the 70's kung fu carze/invasion.

Really kick ass fight with Shih Szu and a female Samurai at the end. To anyone else, I highly recommend it if you go for old school.

If you're looking for little seen Shaw's flicks, you can try and find a copy of Shanghai Lil(PM me.)

I enjoyed it, even if it's Shaw's pedigree is in dispute. Chin Han and Shih Szu make a great pair, and this one did ok in the US, so it's a little piece of history in the 70's kung fu carze/invasion.

Really kick ass fight with Shih Szu and a female Samurai at the end. To anyone else, I highly recommend it if you go for old school.

Never heard about this title but you make it sound could be good one.

NoKUNGFUforYU

It's on YouTube, or you can get it from big rogie. All the copies are bootleg, I don't think celestial is going to restore it. Definitely a solid basher.

NoKUNGFUforYU

PS, Just watched the first part, and the Shaws music comes on. Copy is somewhat butchered from a VHS pan and scan, but hey, what do you expect?

MasterCollector

Hi folks. I have a question today. Is 9 Demons a Shaw Bros film? I seen the bootleg and the movie didn't start out like a Shaw film.

Hi folks. I have a question today. Is 9 Demons a Shaw Bros film? I seen the bootleg and the movie didn't start out like a Shaw film.

No, it`s not.

Nope. Though I can see you confusion what with Chang Cheh directing and some Venoms in the movie.

MasterCollector

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have been wondering because I saw that "Ground Zero" bootleg with the Shaw Logo stamped all over it. Very deceiving. I like the movie, but I want a worthy copy of the film that is not by some bootleg company like Ground Zero.

Archived