Shaw Brothers Hidden Gems.

Drunken Arts

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Probably not a good idea to promote PB on these boards.

Yup...

And promoting illegal downloading is such a good idea, when distributors fail to release some rare titles because their first releases don't sell enough...

Drunken Monk
I wouldn't recommend thaimegamart to anyone. They used to be good, but are pretty much dead when it comes to Shaw titles and they can't source most of the titles they list. It will take a few weeks and then they'll tell you they can't get them. Order at your own risk...

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! I didn't pay attention to your post, placed an order and heard nothing. Not even a confirmation email confirming they received my order. The money just went out of my account and then...nothing.

After emailing them twice, still nothing. A week later...nothing. Emailed them again. Nope. No reply.

So I filed a dispute with my credit card company and got my money back. Two days later Thai Mega Mart email me and tell that due to an error during checking out they never received my order...but they have it now.

While they have my order, they have none of the DVD's I ordered in stock. I canceled my order and all is well with the world again.

For those that want to use them, despite the horror stories out there, here is a complete list of the Shaw Brothers films they currently have in stock...

AyBF0kq.png

Sorry you had to deal with it, but I'm glad you got it resolved :bigsmile:

So many of these companies just don't carry any stock and don't bother to update their listings. That annoying part is that you always have to pay up front. It's like giving them a loan that they just pay back in a few weeks (or longer).

Eastern Evil

I love Death Duel.

Just seeing those 2 words next to each other

gets me pumped.

Ling Yun plays that perfect.

Drunken Monk
I love Death Duel.

Just seeing those 2 words next to each other

gets me pumped.

Ling Yun plays that perfect.

I didn't actually mean to highlight that film. It wasn't one of the ones I ordered from Thai Mega Mart. But, coincidentally, I did just order it from DDDHouse yesterday. I've never actually seen it before.

Drunken Arts

Yeah 2 Thumbs up for Death Duel here. :bigsmile:

I got one of those files with the Stock List and Price today Drunken Monk, I kept my Naval Commando's with them and said to them just stick any one of Call To Arms, Rivals Of Kung Fu or Fastest Sword. Never seen any of them so its abit of fun to see what turns up.

<QUOTE> ChanBiaoHungLungFuSheng

So many of these companies just don't carry any stock and don't bother to update their listings. That annoying part is that you always have to pay up front. It's like giving them a loan that they just pay back in a few weeks (or longer).

<QUOTE>

This is it, I've had 4 of the 6 i ordered turn out to be unreachable, but this has taken 2 weeks to let me know, and this is every one of the numerous companies, like Buyoyo, EthaiCd, Play-Asia etc,

Mind you, they've all be good enough to ask me for a refund or to pick something else, which i've picked something else, but if the stock is updated, things would of been alot smoother.. And quicker so i can watch these Shaws lol

Treacherous Mastermind
Yeah 2 Thumbs up for Death Duel here. :bigsmile:

I got one of those files with the Stock List and Price today Drunken Monk, I kept my Naval Commando's with them and said to them just stick any one of Call To Arms, Rivals Of Kung Fu or Fastest Sword. Never seen any of them so its abit of fun to see what turns up.

<QUOTE> ChanBiaoHungLungFuSheng

<QUOTE>

This is it, I've had 4 of the 6 i ordered turn out to be unreachable, but this has taken 2 weeks to let me know, and this is every one of the numerous companies, like Buyoyo, EthaiCd, Play-Asia etc,

Mind you, they've all be good enough to ask me for a refund or to pick something else, which i've picked something else, but if the stock is updated, things would of been alot smoother.. And quicker so i can watch these Shaws lol

Watching Shaw Brothers movies is my ecstasy, lol.

Cold Bishop

The Fastest Sword is in the upper tier of the late '60s wuxia, although I wouldn't place it in the top of the top-tier. It was directed by Pan Lei, who I believe was a respected novelist of "serious" fiction, so the film has a much more serious attitude to it. The only problem is that it's a bit derivative, essentially being a remake of The Fastest Gun Alive.

Pan Lei would go on to co-direct, alongside Jimmy Wang Yu, the other The Sword, which is also a very philosophical, serious wuxia pian. Another highlight of the genre, although that co-direction credit probably means Wang Yu forced him off the film.

Skeleton Claw

I'm really enjoying some of the lesser known anthology stuff Shaw released over the years - especially The Criminals series. Still need to get my hands on Parts 2,3 and 5.

Cold Bishop

Agreed. Sun Chung and Kuei Chih-Hung in particular made some wonderful and wild shorts for that series, and it really shows how disappointing it is they didn't have a career after Shaw, as they seemed to be the two filmmakers most equipped for making post-New Wave moderns.

Eastern Evil
Anyone seen "The Fastest Sword"? Or class this as a Hidden Gem?

I thought it was very good. The beginning when the Swordsman learns from the old master is a good lesson.

Drunken Arts

Good to hear Evil Eastern.

Slightly off topic, Does Lady Hermit have a sequel?

And what would people class as Cheng Pei-Pei's hidden gems, if she had any?

I ask as im new to this but i did read she was a massive star of the Shaws early doors.

I've heard of Lady Hermit, Come Drink with Me, Golden Swallow [which was brilliant].

I have seen Jade Rashka and Dragon Swamp mentioned in the thread.

Cold Bishop
Does Lady Hermit have a sequel?

Yes, it does. But if I told you what it was, it would spoil the movie. I'm not joking.

Drunken Arts

Really? Lol Ah well, Im not going to do a search for this one actually, as one day i may stumble across it and be suprised.

Ok today i got my first DVDs through from my orders.

EthaiCD ones came through, The Duel & Spirit Of The Sword.

I also got DDDhouse's Men From The Gutter through aswell.

Not too shabby delivery times tbh.

Im expecting Buyoyo's Valley Of The Fangs;

ThatMegaMart's Fastest Sword & Naval Commandos;

Play-Asia's Village Of Tigers;

orders any day now as they were all ordered about the same few days..

Epic Shaw Brothers Binge :xd:

Cold Bishop

All I'll say is that its a pretty well regarded title, so you'll probably see it sooner rather than later.

If you're looking for some more swordswomen action:

Brothers Five - People who write off Lo Wei should see his Shaw films: they might not be particularly ambitious, but they're wildly entertaining in a way his Bruce and Jackie films never were. This film is just an action extravaganza, but Lo Wei smartly stay out of the way of Sammo Hung's choreography, making a pretty forward-thinking fight-heavy wuxia that anticipates many innovations to come from the Kung-Fu Film. Cheng Pei-Pei is essentially a supporting role here, but there's no doubt she's also the biggest bad-ass in the film.

12 Gold Medallions - which I've recommended before, but which I think is one of the greatest films to ever come out of the studio. Yueh Hua may be the ostensible leading-man, but the movie is really about Chin Ping's rebellion against her monstrous father. The ending (courtesy of Sammo Hung) will leave your jaw on the floor, with elements that anticipate Tsui Hark's and Ashes of Time's herky-jerky style.

Lady with a Sword - I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I think this movie is a true lost classic. A dark, sad Shakespearean wuxia all the more rare coming from a female director(!). Lily Ho Li-Li may have been the studio's greatest actress, yet she retired just as she was getting great. This film might be even better than Intimate Confessions of Chinese Courtesan as a showcase for her talents.

Imperial Swordsman - Pure triumph of style over substance. This whole movie just has such a ravishing "fantasy" look that it makes up for some weak leading men and a pretty wonky plot. The second half of the film is what the genre's all about, as the swordsmen and women storm a maze-like fortress, and the film manages to inject some real toughness and mournfulness into all the action.

The Devil's Mirror - If you haven't started exploring Sun Chung yet, you really need to - I might put the man next to Lau Kar-Leung as the studio's most consistently brilliant director. This early film often gets ignored for being impersonal, but its a pretty solid beginning, taking a pulpy fantasy-horror plot, filling it with a surprising level of sex and violence, but also hinting at the seriousness of his later fatalistic classics. People who think that Sun Chung was riding Chor Yuen's coattails should probably see this film, which nails that style four years early. Probably most famous for having a near-invincible female villain.

Duel for Gold - Likewise, people who think Sun Chung introduced pessimism into the swordplay film, and that Chor Yuen was all flower and poetry, need only see this film. This is a wuxia film noir, told in flashback, about a group of bandits trying to knock over a treasury house. Greed and avarice, double-crosses and triple crosses, femme fatales, and more cynicism that you can shake a sword at. You could practically imagine this film being made in the 1950s by Robert Siodmak or Sam Fuller (preferably with Dan Duryea in the Lo Lieh role). That ending is ice-cold, and makes it clear that Chor Yuen could play as dirty as the worst of them.

TheKungFuRobber

The Flying Guillotine for all those who love Wang Yu's iconic Master of the flying guilotine. It is much less shabby and has a much better plot and actors.

Crippled Avengers (AKA Mortal Combat) is a Chang Cheh masterpiece with the same actors as The Five Venoms.

Death Duel is an awesome Wu Xia film which introduced sword master Derek Yee and features plenty of gory action sequences.

Treacherous Mastermind

What do you fellow Shaw Brothers fans think of these shaw bros movies? I haven't watched any of them, but I'm just hoping you guys can give them the stamps of being great Shaw Bros gems.

1. Web of Death

2. Swift Knight

3. Invincible Fist

4. Valley of the Fangs

5. House of Traps

6. 14 Amazons

7. Shaolin Avengers(accompanied with its non shaw sequel)

8. The Assassin

9. Sacred Knives of Vengeance

10. Legend of the Fox

Cold Bishop

1. Lesser Chor Yuen, a film of two halves. The first is a kitschy, colorful Bava-esque fantasy. The latter is a serious drama about justice and persecution. The two don't congeal. Check it out if you've gotten the other big titles.

2. Solid, unpretentious hour-long King Hu-inspired wuxia, fully demonstrative of Cheng's punchy style. Ultimately, though, its the same film as the superior Valley of the Fang, even though Cheng called it his favorite Shaw film.

3. No nonsense, austere Chang Cheh masterpiece. Heavy on action, yet still manages to infuse a real touch of sadness and world-weariness into the precedings. Lo Lieh should have made more films with Chang, as he brings some real pathos here despite not saying much and showing little emotion on his face. The last time I saw it, he actually reminded me of Mads Mikkelsen, if anyone wants to remake this as a Western (which it would be perfect as).

4. As mentioned above, I'm a fan of this. It might not seem much at first viewing, but the devils are in the detail: the careful use of location shooting, the brisk pacing, the chambara-like aesthetics, the way it moves like a b-movie but truly believes in all the genre stuff about morality and redemption. Definitely the next Cheng to see after Five Fingers of Death and Broken Oath

5.I remember really liking this one for the way Chang managed to mix his style with that of Chor Yuen wuxias. With that said, all the Venom films are long overdue of a rewatch from me (which I've started doing).

6. Near-Great film, marred by some genre wonkiness (I love Lily Ho, but I still don't know about the way she played her role) but I stand by my assertion that 12 Gold Medallions is Cheng Kang's true masterpiece and one of Shaw's greatest. Track this down only after you've bought that one.

7. I've talked about it and all the Shaolin Cycle in the previous thread. Solid, but not amazing. I actually might like Showdown at the Cotton Mill more for its superior action scenes. Dorian Tan brings a lot to the precedings in that film.

8. Some people like this because it finds Chang putting action to the backseat of a moral and philosophical story (I think Chang considered this his chance to make a "Japanese" style film, meaning something serious and artistic). Maybe true, but I find the movie disturbing and proto-fascist in its valorization of transcendental violence and death worship. Chang at his most Mishima-esque. I'd recommend for auterists looking to wrestle with Chang's troubling themes, but I don't know that I can call it a good film.

9. Great film. Another formulaic Republican-era kung-fu film on paper, but Chor Yuen brings a real ravishing style and a film noir melancholy to the film that makes it a classic Shaw basher. In a perfect world, Ku Feng's reveal would be remembered as one of the most iconic moments of the genre. Don't purchase this, track down the recent widescreen, Mandarin bootleg: it might be cut a little, but its much better than any of the other two options.

10. Another Chang I need to get around to revisiting, but I remember New Tales of the Flying Fox being much better, and one of Shaw's true hidden gems.

Archived