Shaw Brothers Hidden Gems.

Drunken Arts

Drunken Arts

Yeah i love Lo Lieh, i watched Shaolin Abbot last night, was suprised to see him back as Bai Mei, he was awesome in Human Lanterns :)

Not done much reading on the Brave Archer series, im also not sure if they could be stand alone films or if they are left with big cliffhangers or flow right into each other like Lord Of The Ring series?

Oh update on the orders, Play-asia could only get me Village Of The Tigers, and not A Taste Of Cold Steel, which is a shame as i wanted Cold Steel more, Village/Tigers was ordered with Cold Steel just to make up an amount to get free shipping, thats gone out of the window now lol nevermind.

So A Taste of Cold Steel is a no go from Play-asia if anyone was intrested.

Still no reply to my email from Thaimegamart, and no movement from eThaicd nor Buyoyo on my orders. Will keep updating.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
With the Shaw Brothers Libary so Vast i think i've made a great start, i just want to now start to branch out :) thanks.

I'm excited for you! You still have many classics to see for the first time. :nerd:

Here are some titles that I would recommend that I didn't see on you first post's tlist.

NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1971, aka. Triple Irons; The One Armed Swordsman) My second favorite David Chiang role (right after SHAOLIN MANTIS) finds him absolutely wrecking over a hundred fighters! Ku Feng plays a great villain that is a master of the three-section staff and Ti Lung is on hand in a small but important role as well. Heroic and bloody!

DELIGHTFUL FOREST (1972, HK, aka. Outlaw of the Forest; Happy Forest; 7 Blows of the Dragon 3) This film continues the story of Wu Sung, and basically picks up the story from where TIGER KILLER ended (even though it was made before TIGER KILLER :smile:). Not only is Ti playing a great character, but the story here is good and the film wraps up with one of my favorite climactic, bloody battles.

KID FROM KWANGTUNG (1982, aka. Kwangtung Warriors) This film is a mixed bag. The down-side is that it's story is all over the place, it features a pointless supernatural sequence and some groan-worthy silliness. The up-side is that it has Hwang Jang-Lee (in one of his few Shaw Brothers appearances) as a wicked, cat-stroking, kick-of-death delivering villain. Young Wang Yu is in great shape here, and IMO the end battle alone is well worth the price of the film. If you don't wince multiple times during this fight... you are probably a Vulcan.

SHAOLIN PRINCE (1983, HK, aka. Death Mask of the Ninja; Iron Fingers of Death; Iron Fingers of Shaolin; Prince of Shaolin; Wu Tang Prince) Ti Lung again as an orphan raised by three crazy Shaolin monks. Derek Yee is terrific as well, showing off some impressive sword skills. This is one of only a handful of films directed by Action Director extraordinaire Tong Gaai (who also plays a role in the film). Like the previous film this one also has a strange, very out-of-place supernatural sequence and some silliness, but nowhere near as much. Overall it's a great film and features some truly innovative and outrageous kung fu and far-out weaponry. The villain is played by Jason Pai Piao, and he uses iron fingers to pierce his enemies!

MAD MONKEY KUNG FU (1979, aka. Mad Monkey) Lau Kar Leung's Monkey style is jaw-dropping, and Hsiao Ho is no slouch either! Lo Lieh is the bad guy (always a good thing) and Kara Hui is on hand too (though sadly, in a non-fighting role).

MONKEY KUNG FU (1979, aka. Stroke of Death; Drunk Fighter) Here's a vastly underrated film. It stars Tony Ching Siu Tung, who you probably have never seen on-screen before. He's a famous Action Director known for films like A CHINESE GHOST STORY and the incredible DUEL TO THE DEATH which he also directed. But after watching this, you'll wish he had starred in more films as his kung fu is stunning. And so are the skills of his co-star Hau Chiu Sing as the "Monkey Master. A wonderful, action-packed film.

FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS (1979, aka. The Drunken Fighter; Superfighters; The Super Fighters) Hau Chiu Sing plays a similar role in this one too. Action Director Tony Leung Siu Hung (ANGEL, IP MAN, and many more)- another guy that appeared on-screen too few times in featured roles- is aces here. Lots of different styles on display here, and Kwan Fung as the seriously bad-ass "Black Caped Villain".

NEW SHAOLIN BOXER (1976, aka. Grandmaster of Kung Fu; Grandmaster of Death; Demon Fists of Kung Fu; New Shaolin Boxers; Choy Lay Fat Kid; Mad Boy; Silly Boy) I think this is a highly underrated Fu Sheng film. Love this one!

Eastern Evil

Valley of the Fangs is another good Lo Lieh movie (as a good guy)

Magnificent Trio is also a good role for him.

Treacherous Mastermind
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Had no clue he was in 36th Chamber Of Shaolin. :ooh: Guess I'll need to rewatch that one, just to see Lo Lieh more closely - though I bet if you watch some Shaw Brothers movies focusing on one specific actor, you may end watching it countless times - films where you have a big cast like a Venoms movie or the likes of 7 Man Army :tongue:

Lo Lieh is the main baddie that Gordon Liu fights in the end.

ShawAngela

Don't worry about buyoyo, I bought several times from them and they are reliable. If anything is missing in the order, you'll be refunded without any problem and they always send you a message in order to inform you if there are out of stock items before shipping the package.

I also bought several times from ethaicd without any problem either, you just have to regularly your account in order to see if they sent the package or not.

Treacherous Mastermind
I'm excited for you! You still have many classics to see for the first time. :nerd:

DELIGHTFUL FOREST (1972, HK, aka. Outlaw of the Forest; Happy Forest; 7 Blows of the Dragon 3) This film continues the story of Wu Sung, and basically picks up the story from where TIGER KILLER ended (even though it was made before TIGER KILLER :smile:). Not only is Ti playing a great character, but the story here is good and the film wraps up with one of my favorite climactic, bloody battles.

So does the actual Water Margin chronology go from Tiger Killer to Delightful Forest to Water Margin(7BOTD) to 7 Blows of the Dragon 2??

Cold Bishop

If you wanted to go that route, Cheng Kang's Pursuit should be there in between Delightful Forest and Water Margin.

Drunken Arts

Thanks KUNG FU BOB;

Im excited too lol, Its becoming an addiction :squigglemouth:

I shall look into those you listed.

A friend of mine lent me Mad Monkey Kung Fu, I enjoyed it, maybe not as much as his other films like Martial Club, Dirty Ho or Heroes Of The East. But still good fun.

And speaking of Kara Hui, I did nab My Young Aunty and Lady Is The Boss, any other non LKL films you guys would recommend with her in it?

Don't worry about buyoyo, I bought several times from them and they are reliable. If anything is missing in the order, you'll be refunded without any problem and they always send you a message in order to inform you if there are out of stock items before shipping the package.

I also bought several times from ethaicd without any problem either, you just have to regularly your account in order to see if they sent the package or not.

Cheers Shawangela,

Im not overly worried about the money as it [and all my orders] were paid via Paypal, i just wanted to drop the info on what these companies have in stock or what DVDs they need sourcing, or what they cant get hold of. Maybe helpful to some who are looking for these. :smile:

Buyoyo's order Status is now "Waiting" so it seems What Price Honesty needs to be sourced by them. Fingers Crossed.

And EthaiCD are preparing The Duel and Spirit Of The Sword now.

I like the fact that if DDDhouse have something to order, it always seems they have it In Stock, so less waiting with these guys.

Cold Bishop;

Thats very intresting about Pursuit, does this feature some of the same actors that were used in the other films?

Cold Bishop

Much like Delightful Forest, it deals with the indoctrination of Yueh Hua's bandit. The fact that Yueh does so little in the two big films leads to believe that it was originally a separate project that got bundled in once Chang Cheh also began his own Outlaws of the Marsh film.

Pretty great, if downbeat and melodramatic film, from a genre master who did so few films in said genre.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
If you wanted to go that route, Cheng Kang's Pursuit should be there in between Delightful Forest and Water Margin.

I knew I was forgetting one, but didn't have much time to think about it when I posted last night. Thanks Cold Bishop.

Treacherous Mastermind
Yueh Hua is fantastic in anything.

Top 5 favorite actor.

Just out of curiosity....who are the other 4?

Eastern Evil
Just out of curiosity....who are the other 4?

Just my personal favorites:

Fu Sheng

Lo Lieh

Ku Feng

Ti Lung

Also Fan Mei Sheng, Ling Yun & Lau Wing....

It is really hard to choose, but those are my favorites!

Treacherous Mastermind
Just my personal favorites:

Fu Sheng

Lo Lieh

Ku Feng

Ti Lung

Also Fan Mei Sheng, Ling Yun & Lau Wing....

It is really hard to choose, but those are my favorites!

That's a really good list! I agree it's hard to choose, because there are other great Shaw actors that would be taken into account(The venoms, David Chaing, Wang Yu, Gordon Liu, Chen Kuan Tai). My list would be similar to yours just I'd omit Ku Feng and insert Chen Kuan Tai. No doubt, Ku Feng one of the best Shaws bad guys.

Drunken Arts
Much like Delightful Forest, it deals with the indoctrination of Yueh Hua's bandit. The fact that Yueh does so little in the two big films leads to believe that it was originally a separate project that got bundled in once Chang Cheh also began his own Outlaws of the Marsh film.

Pretty great, if downbeat and melodramatic film, from a genre master who did so few films in said genre.

Cheers Cold Bishop. The film has peaked my intrest.

On a little read up on other Shaws, How do you guys class Men From The Gutter and Mercenaries From Hong Kong?

Were either these Hidden Gems or well known albeit how good they were?

massa_yoda
Cheers Cold Bishop. The film has peaked my interest.

I'd like to second this. I didn't know there was another film connected to The Water Margin other than Delightful Forest, All Men Are Brothers and Tiger Killer. I'm looking forward to tracking this one down now!

Cold Bishop
How do you guys class Men From The Gutter and Mercenaries From Hong Kong?
I'm a fan of both! Men from the Gutter is a pretty good, grimey New Wave crime film. Maybe not quite up to snuff with the big shots (Dangerous Encounters, The Club, Man on the Brink, Long Arm of the Law) but it's pretty tough, harrowing stuff. And the final 20 minutes show you that Lam Nam-Choi was already the real deal. It's better than Brothers from the Walled City, which shows promise but had obvious censorship problems; I believe there's lobby cards of a climactic fight scene that was cut. If you're dipping your toe's into Shaw's final years, this is definitely a highlight (Also see Johnny Wang's Hong Kong Godfather, which while somewhat formulaic, is insanely brutal, and seems to have been influential on the first wave of Heroic Bloodshed films).

Mercenaries is also solid genre silliness, although its a bit disappointing that Shaw didn't seem to have the budget or willingness to make a true "Blow Shit Up in the Philippine Jungle" film (Michael Chan's flashback to Vietnam is an all too brief highpoint). It's Wong Jing, so expect the kitchen-sink, but its fun!

Both make you wish Shaw would have stayed the course and made more "Moderns".

Tex Killer

Of new wave shaw martial arts films, usurpers of emperors power is propably best( bastard swordsman 1 strong challenger). Story has surprises, fine action. I rate it over still very good "long road to gallantry, lady assassin or secret service of imperial court."

Drunken Arts

Buyoyo contacted me today saying they can't get/source What Price Honesty.. Gahhh :cry:

So i've set up Men From The Gutter as a exchange, all my Shaws are Kung Fu/Wu Xia films with the exception of 7 Man Army, so decided to check out one of their modern [for the time] setting films and rolled with this one..

And thanks Cold Bishop on your low down on Men/Gutter and Mercs/HK.

Tex Killer;

Yet another film i have not heard of Tex, usurpers of emperors power, but have heard of alot of good things on the others; Lady Assassin, Bastard Swordsman, Long road to Gallantry, so ill keep an eye out for Usurpers. Ta :smile:

Secret Executioner
NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1971, aka. Triple Irons; The One Armed Swordsman) My second favorite David Chiang role (right after SHAOLIN MANTIS) finds him absolutely wrecking over a hundred fighters! Ku Feng plays a great villain that is a master of the three-section staff and Ti Lung is on hand in a small but important role as well. Heroic and bloody!

Found that one recently, I guess I did well picking it up. :tongue:

SHAOLIN PRINCE (1983, HK, aka. Death Mask of the Ninja; Iron Fingers of Death; Iron Fingers of Shaolin; Prince of Shaolin; Wu Tang Prince) Ti Lung again as an orphan raised by three crazy Shaolin monks. Derek Yee is terrific as well, showing off some impressive sword skills. This is one of only a handful of films directed by Action Director extraordinaire Tong Gaai (who also plays a role in the film). Like the previous film this one also has a strange, very out-of-place supernatural sequence and some silliness, but nowhere near as much. Overall it's a great film and features some truly innovative and outrageous kung fu and far-out weaponry. The villain is played by Jason Pai Piao, and he uses iron fingers to pierce his enemies!

MAD MONKEY KUNG FU (1979, aka. Mad Monkey) Lau Kar Leung's Monkey style is jaw-dropping, and Hsiao Ho is no slouch either! Lo Lieh is the bad guy (always a good thing) and Kara Hui is on hand too (though sadly, in a non-fighting role).

MONKEY KUNG FU (1979, aka. Stroke of Death; Drunk Fighter) Here's a vastly underrated film. It stars Tony Ching Siu Tung, who you probably have never seen on-screen before. He's a famous Action Director known for films like A CHINESE GHOST STORY and the incredible DUEL TO THE DEATH which he also directed. But after watching this, you'll wish he had starred in more films as his kung fu is stunning. And so are the skills of his co-star Hau Chiu Sing as the "Monkey Master. A wonderful, action-packed film.

FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS (1979, aka. The Drunken Fighter; Superfighters; The Super Fighters) Hau Chiu Sing plays a similar role in this one too. Action Director Tony Leung Siu Hung (ANGEL, IP MAN, and many more)- another guy that appeared on-screen too few times in featured roles- is aces here. Lots of different styles on display here, and Kwan Fung as the seriously bad-ass "Black Caped Villain".

NEW SHAOLIN BOXER (1976, aka. Grandmaster of Kung Fu; Grandmaster of Death; Demon Fists of Kung Fu; New Shaolin Boxers; Choy Lay Fat Kid; Mad Boy; Silly Boy) I think this is a highly underrated Fu Sheng film. Love this one!

A nice batch of films here. Delightful Forest is available on a set I'm planning to order (the Epic Heroes tin box), but for the rest... I'll find a way I guess.

Tex Killer

i must propably re-visit "men from the gutter"..what i recall it's just factory belt crime movie, no fight except maybe some punches and lame shootout in the end...i watched it during time was not much into modern day shaws..

Eastern Evil

Pai Piao with the funky hair.

I like Mercenaries better, great cast:

Chan Wei Man, Lo Lieh Wang Lung We & Ti Lung?

Wang Yue also.

The other guy is king of useless - to me anyway.

Chan Wei Man is pretty vicious with a bat!

Treacherous Mastermind

Even though I don't find the Flying Guillotine movies to be hidden gems(to me they are famous gems), I highly recommend them.

Archived