Shaw Brothers Hidden Gems.

Drunken Arts

Tex Killer

Yeah with sooo many Shaws i needed abit of help being pointed in the right direction, but I see what you mean and i agree, I have stumbled on some great blind buys, tbh I was in Hong Kong last Summer for a few weeks holiday, and i picked up my first Shaw IVLs from HMV, i had no idea what they were like, just went with the Front cover and my gut instinct lol, ended up with 6 films inc the likes of Clan Of The White Lotus and Crippled Avengers. Like this you feel more of a sense of maybe achievement. If thats the right word for it lol.

Picking up all??? :squigglemouth: lol. I wish i had the money too :cry:

It`s not task needed to reach in short pediod of time. I have been collecting several years(martial arts+ghost story only) and even as see goal line now, not quite reached it yet. If you are wise (unlike me who wants IVL tho in few cases had to settle with other distributors r3 disc) and are OK with united and deltamac releases or some official r1 releases which in several cases are superior to IVL, mission becomes much easier and less expensive...

Collecting Shaws is extremely fun and rewarding hobby though sometimes feel irrating...

:wink:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
It`s not task needed to reach in short pediod of time. I have been collecting several years and even as see goal line now, not quite reached it yet. If you are wise (unlike me who wants IVL tho in few cases had to settle with other distributors r3 disc) and are OK with united and deltamac releases or some official r1 releases which in several cases are superior to IVL, mission becomes much easier and less expensive...

Collecting Shaws is extremely fun and rewarding hobby though sometimes feel irrating...

I guess I must be wise: I tend to go with any release I find - and I may upgrade if I find better releases of movies I already have (or an eventual import), which hasn't happened yet.

Tex Killer
I guess I must be wise: I tend to go with any release I find - and I may upgrade if I find better releases of movies I already have (or an eventual import), which hasn't happened yet.

Almost all which are super rare on ivl have been released in thailand or taiwan:angel:

thaimegamart is great place to pick united discs but even as dvds are very cheap, postage is sth like 30$ for whole lot so less than 10 discs is not worth ordering.

Tex Killer

And for the original topic, I enjoyed greatly of "swordswomen three" and "swordmates(singapore dvd is extremely difficult to get hold of, but thai vcd is not)".

ShawAngela

Does anyone has mentioned Shaolin mantis ? It's a superb one too in my opinion...The way David Chiang improves his martial arts in order to get revenge for his wife and accomplish his mission is great.

Tex Killer
Does anyone has mentioned Shaolin mantis ? It's a superb one too in my opinion...The way David Chiang improves his martial arts in order to get revenge for his wife and accomplish his mission is great.

It`s superb but hardly a hidden gem:tongue:

Drunken Arts
It`s not task needed to reach in short pediod of time. I have been collecting several years(martial arts+ghost story only) and even as see goal line now, not quite reached it yet. If you are wise (unlike me who wants IVL tho in few cases had to settle with other distributors r3 disc) and are OK with united and deltamac releases or some official r1 releases which in several cases are superior to IVL, mission becomes much easier and less expensive...

Yeah i have been abit of a IVL hunter, but as you say and as most know they are hard to find in some cases, i do have a couple of United DVDs..

So in relation to this i went on a hunt and found this website with some hard to find Shaws on "United" at really low prices http://www.thaimegamart.com

I just made an order for 2 DVDs - Black Tavern & Naval Commandos, i have been on the site viewing it [on a PC and a laptop] a few times these past 2 days deciding what to order etc, i put in the order and now cant get back into the site... I paid via Paypal so im not too worried, but has anyone used this site before??

Both DVDs were 3.99 USD btw and had loads of films. I got the link to the Shaws Libary they have via http://kungfu4u.0catch.com/dvd-vcd.htm

which in turn is: Shaw Brothers Film DVD: http://www.thaimegamart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=020000039

Tex Killer
Yeah i have been abit

of a IVL hunter, but as you say and as most know they are hard to find

in some cases, i do have a couple of United DVDs..

So in relation to this i went on a hunt and found this website with some

hard to find Shaws on "United" at really low prices

http://www.thaimegamart.com

I just made an order for 2 DVDs - Black Tavern & Naval Commandos, i

have been on the site viewing it [on a PC and a laptop] a few times

these past 2 days deciding what to order etc, i put in the order and now

cant get back into the site... I paid via Paypal so im not too worried,

but has anyone used this site before??

Both DVDs were 3.99 USD btw and had loads of films. I got the link to

the Shaws Libary they have via

http://kungfu4u.0catch.com/dvd-vcd.htm

which in turn is: Shaw Brothers Film DVD:

http://www.thaimegamart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=020000039

in fact i mentioned thaimegamart few posts earlier to godfr...it's decent company, i also got naval commandos from there(found ivl later)...they ship fast, tho with 2-3 dvds they did not have in stock they returned money.

Drunken Arts

I knew i had seen that site named somewhere before lol.

Ah thats good to know, like i say i cant get back onto the site, i have emailed them to tell them this, as i may want to order some more, i just click on "enter the store" button and get a white screen with this:

lib/util.mv: Line 227: MvDO: Runtime Error: Error opening 'lib/db.mv': No such file or directory

Hope they can get these 2, it was approx $17.50 USD which was about £10.60 GBP, Bargin.

Cheers Tex Killer

Tex Killer
I knew i had seen that

site named somewhere before lol.

Ah thats good to know, like i say i cant get back onto the site, i have

emailed them to tell them this, as i may want to order some more, i just

click on "enter the store" button and get a white screen with this:

lib/util.mv: Line 227: MvDO: Runtime Error: Error opening 'lib/db.mv':

No such file or directory

Hope they can get these 2, it was approx $17.50 USD which was about

£10.60 GBP, Bargin.

Cheers Tex Killer

well, with email things will be solved in the end.i have everytime trouble when order from dddhouse, after paid by paypal i get error message and status of order cancelled.

Drunken Monk
I knew i had seen that site named somewhere before lol.

Ah thats good to know, like i say i cant get back onto the site, i have emailed them to tell them this, as i may want to order some more, i just click on "enter the store" button and get a white screen with this:

lib/util.mv: Line 227: MvDO: Runtime Error: Error opening 'lib/db.mv': No such file or directory

Hope they can get these 2, it was approx $17.50 USD which was about £10.60 GBP, Bargin.

Cheers Tex Killer

The site should be working now. I just ordered a few, myself. They don't really send you an order confirmation email though, so there's no reference number to go off. That sucks a little but, hey, if they get to me...I'll be happy.

ShawAngela

I'm surprised they still have Naval commandos. I tried to order it a few months ago and I only got the vcd version, and I had to ask for a refund because it had a lot of freezing issues even in the credits.

They have a long list of Shaws, but, from the experience I had a year or two ago, they aren't all in stock and they had proposed me to get the vcds when the dvds were out of stock.

However, I was satisfied with what I got from them (except Nava commandos, of course) and buying from this site a while ago allowed me to increase my collection.

Tex Killer
I'm surprised they still

have Naval commandos. I tried to order it a few months ago and I only

got the vcd version, and I had to ask for a refund because it had a lot

of freezing issues even in the credits.

They have a long list of Shaws, but, from the experience I had a year or

two ago, they aren't all in stock and they had proposed me to get the

vcds when the dvds were out of stock.

However, I was satisfied with what I got from them (except Nava

commandos, of course) and buying from this site a while ago allowed me

to increase my collection.

i got naval commandos immediately, lady of law and 2 others they were not able to deliver...black tavern is propably best united release, taiwan does not exist and ivl so hard to get.

Drunken Arts

I've just tried it again and still have the same problem.. strange.. Im going to boot up my laptop and try it on that..

Also i got a order conformation email with a order number

Emailed from genie@thaimegamart.com

And with what ShawAngela has just said, I best wait to see what happens with these two i've ordered, I still have 14 Amazons, Taste Of Cold Steel and Village Of Tigers to arrive.. I shall slow down for a week or so now lol

And back on topic of hidden gems, I grabbed King Cat for a couple of quid, one i've never seen on a favourites list or a top 10/25 etc. May watch that tonight :bigsmile:

Drunken Monk
I've just tried it again and still have the same problem.. strange.. Im going to boot up my laptop and try it on that..

Also i got a order conformation email with a order number

Emailed from genie@thaimegamart.com

I got one that confirmed the transaction. Maybe I just have to wait a few hours for the other one.

I wouldn't recommend thaimegamart to anyone. They used to be good, but are pretty much dead when it comes to Shaw titles and they can't source most of the titles they list. It will take a few weeks and then they'll tell you they can't get them. Order at your own risk...

Drunken Arts
I got one that confirmed the transaction. Maybe I just have to wait a few hours for the other one.

Yeah no doubt. Mine took a while tbh.

Did just check out the site on my laptop and the site works fine. Oh well lol

Any other Thai sites that could may be worth a look for "United" Shaws?

Did have a look at ethatcd.. has some on there but not too much.

EDIT: ChanBiaoHungLungFuSheng;

One thing i made a point of, with my email to them regarding not being able to get onto their site anymore, was to also ask if they have them in stock or need to source them, this was also to see how long they take to reply to the Email, kind of test the waters of their customer service.

Tex Killer
I wouldn't recommend thaimegamart to anyone. They used to be good, but are pretty much dead when it comes to Shaw titles and they can't source most of the titles they list. It will take a few weeks and then they'll tell you they can't get them. Order at your own risk...

Actually there is no risk, they are quick to refund money for titles unable to deliver. But yes, their site is not up to date what`s available immediately...But thaimegamart is still lot better choice than trying to locate those titles in stores of bangkok or phuket, it`s totally hopeless. And in ebay those thaititles are quite expensive compared to megamart.

Drunken Arts

Cheers guys, its always good to get other peoples views and expieriences on these things.. Like i say i am glad it was a paypal transaction as i did just jump in head first. :smile:

ShawAngela

Each time I ordered from them, I got an email confirmation and an order number from geniethaimegamart and as you use paypal, there is no risk...

Drunken Arts

Right guys ive been at it again - Gaaah

Ok so i ordered:

14 Amazon from Dddhouse- Used these twice before had no problems, and was quick to deliver to the UK. Was posted 2 days ago.

Village of Tigers and A Taste of Cold Steel IVL HK from Play-Asia - never used these before. Ordered same day as 14 Amazons, Not Posted yet.

Black Tavern & Naval Commandos United Thai from Thaimegamart today. Which i have not used before.

What Price Honesty IVL HK from Buyoyo today. Which i have not used before.

And Spirit Of The Sword & The Duel United Thai from Etahicd. Which i have not used before.

So i've picked a few different places to order to try out, I came close to using HMV.hk but didnt in the end, they have Vengeance & Two Champions of Shaolin at $55 HKD each, that i want to see... :tinysmile_angry2_t:

While going off track of the thread for a minute, i think having this information could prove helpful, esp to full on new comers like myself. I will make updates.

And so im clear, im not saying if buyoyo cant source my "What Price Honesty" its a useless place to go, not at all, but I and i guess you guys prefer to order something thats in stock, so its guarenteed, rather than delayed via being sourced or maybe cancelled and refunded in the end.

Right back on Topic, I've read plenty of praise for "What Price Honesty". So thats cool.

But what about Spirit Of The Sword, The Duel [i just read it was Chang Chehs Masterpiece] and Naval Commandos.. Any consider these hidden gems?

Tex Killer

But what about Spirit Of The Sword, The Duel [i just read it was Chang Chehs Masterpiece] and Naval Commandos.. Any consider these hidden gems?

Spirit of the sword is great. I have funimation disc of "the duel" but so far unwatched, I hope it turns out to be masterpiece but I have heard from few friends that maybe will not be case.....

Naval commandos is incredible, I think member KyFi wrote a long reply about it to topic "best shaw you have seen recently"...

edit; here is his contribution ;"Just watched Naval Commandos again, and that's pretty enjoyable. I like the flashback structure, with the old captain on the modern ship thinking back to his younger days fighting the Japanese. All the Shaw stars are playing the familiar roles that they’re comfortable with: David Chiang is the smooth gangster who is really more patriotic than he lets on, Ti Lung and Chi Kuan Chun are the stoic, noble types, and Fu Sheng does his usual slightly comical, naïve yet brave guy. For me, it’s always fun seeing these guys in these types of roles.

I would say the movie is similar to 7-Man Army. It’s pretty evident that Shaws didn’t really have the resources to do full-scale modern battle scenes at the level of Hollywood. I’m no aviation expert, but I’m pretty sure those 6 small planes in this movie--that are supposed to be Japanese Bombers--are not historically accurate. Still, they give it a good try, with a lot of scenes shot on a real warship, and they use some okay-looking shots with miniatures. And, Chang Cheh doesn’t center the movie around the big battle scenes anyway---the big final action scene is kung fu/gun/bayonette action on the Japanese ship, similar to Anonymous Heroes, Boxer Rebellion and 7-Man Army. If someone isn’t a Shaw fan, they’d probably think this was kind of silly and not a very convincing war movie----but for Shaw fans, this movie delivers the goods, IMO. "

Treacherous Mastermind

The Duel [i just read it was Chang Chehs Masterpiece] and Naval Commandos.. Any consider these hidden gems?

Tex Killer
Lo Lieh films have any hidden gems. A lot of them fulfill the hidden part, but possibly not the gem part.

It pretty much comes to thing whether you like old swordplay movies or not...One of those less talked Lo Lieh movies I think 12 deadly coins is shining gem...

NoKUNGFUforYU

I think the Eunuch with Pai Ying is a pretty fun lost treasure. Especially if you like the Star Wars movies, you can see some similarities with that and the Mighty One, which includes a long lost brother and sister reuniting. Anyway, I am pretty sure they are both on Youtube. Out of the two, I really liked The Eunuch, plus, it was the first Shaw Brothers movie I saw in Mandarin.

Archived