Martial arts movies from around the world

Gwai LO

We all know China/Japan/Korea/United States pump out a lot of "martial arts" movies every year, but I'm interested in what other counties have done. I've seen a few from France, Brazil, India. Their is 196 counties in the world and it's hard to think only 5-6 can pump out a good martial arts movies. Please list some other countries martial arts movies. I'm not talking zero budget movies that me and my buddies can make in our backyard. I'm talking a semi decent movie. Low budget is expected, but someone in another thread mentioned some African movies and they were absolutely pathetic and not considered a movie IMO. Some that I have found.

Africa

Dangerous men

Russia

The way

Germany

The challenge

India

Commando one man army

Mexico

Chinango

France

D-13

Netherlands

Fights fish

Anything else? Brazil, turkey, Poland, Israel, Iraq, Ireland, Australia, Italy? I'm interested in expanding my collection and getting a little diversity. Thanks guys!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone in the brutal thread posted the movie "Adam Chaplin" I know that's from Italy I've read it's considered a martial arts movie. So stuff like that works also

I also know France has a decent "martial arts/fantasy" movie, I have it on dvd but forgot the name. I think it's called "brotherhood of the wolf?"

I also know France has a decent "martial arts/fantasy" movie, I have it on dvd but forgot the name. I think it's called "brotherhood of the wolf?"

That's right! Brotherhood of the Wolf (Original Le Pacte des loups) with Mark Dacascos... Good movie.

Wasn't Crying Freeman also a French production :ooh:

I feel like I've spent a good amount of time searching for these style films, but can't ever seem to find any.

Secret Executioner
That's right! Brotherhood of the Wolf (Original Le Pacte des loups) with Mark Dacascos... Good movie.

And choreography by Philip Kwok apparently. :ooh:

Morgoth Bauglir
And choreography by Philip Kwok apparently. :ooh:

Yep the special features show him doing the choreography.

Scotland:

The Purifiers (starring Gordon Alexander, Kevin McKidd, and Dominic Monaghan)

Street Fight (the Noble Brothers, Graeme and John-William)

Dubbed and Dangerous 1-3 (Ara Paiaya)

Maximum Impact (Ara Paiaya)

The Suppressor (Ara Paiaya)

Ara Paiaya directed his first U.S. film, Skin Traffik, starring Gary Daniels and Michael Madsen, coming out later this year.

Chile (Marko Zaror and Ernesto Diaz Espinosa):

Kiltro

Mirageman

Mandrill

Mexico:

Garra de Tigre (Tiger Claw, produced by Chuck Norris' student Ruben Gonzalez)

El Ninja Mexicano

Chinango (starring Marko Zaror)

Germany:

Urban Fighter (Mike Moeller, the film is a German martial arts film shot entirely in English)

Argentina:

Los Exterminatores (starring Hector Echavarria before he came to the USA)

India:

Lahore (their version of Best of the Best)

Mugamoodi

Commando: A One Man Army

Aan: Men at Work

Italy

Una vito da sogno (it's an action comedy that features NINJA 2 fight choreographer and co-star Tim Man in a leading role)

England

Left for Dead

Ten Dead Men

Warrioress (martial arts meets sword and sorcery)

Green Street 3

Australia

Day of the Panther

Strike of the Panther

Among Dead Men

South Africa

wongfeihung62 mentioned KARATE KILLER, but it is also known as KILL OR BE KILLED

There is a lost one apparently called GEMINI that featured James Ryan and JKA karateka Thys Matthysen in featured roles. Matthysen was also the film's action director. Can't seem to find anything on this.

Another Bollywood movie that had martial arts action...Main Khiladi Tu Anari...Akshay Kumar and Saif Ali Khan in a Bollywood version of The Hard Way (starring James Woods and Michael J. Fox)

eSvRagi5xqg

Some other Bollywood ones include:

Chandni Chowk to China (Gordon Liu makes an appearance)

Karate

Commando (1988) (India's version of American Ninja)

There's the Danish film Fighter which came out in 2007.

There's the Danish film Fighter which came out in 2007.

Which I reviewed and highly recommended...it was a more serious martial arts-minded version of BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM (girl must choose between her family's traditional values or her love of martial arts)

Another Australian martial arts film: Under the Gun (Richard Norton, Ron Vreeken, David No)

Secret Executioner
Which I reviewed and highly recommended...it was a more serious martial arts-minded version of BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM (girl must choose between her family's traditional values or her love of martial arts)

Seems like this element is also featured in the Silat movie Yasmine. (mind you I say that based on the trailer, not on the actual film)

Archived