The Monkey King 2 (2016)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope Donnie comes back. I enjoyed his role in this movie and thought it was one of his better acting performances, but if he decides not to come back, it's nt hard to replace with all the costume work. Hopefully this one is a tad more hard hitting.

I wouldn't mind seeing Donnie as Sun Wukong again as well. But with CTHD 2 and Dragon City scheduled for shooting in August and September respectively, I can't imagine a return to the role happening unless they delay shooting to an available time slot in Donnie's hectic schedule.

Yen is one of (if not the most) popular name to attach to any project martial arts related. After the success the first movie had, I can't imagine them not being flexible with him if he decides to take on the job. Yen in one interview said he hated making the first one, because 5 hours of make up to start and 1-2 hours of make up to take off was to much for him at 50 years old.... But in a second interview i read, he said he would consider it because how well it did in the box office. Who knows, maybe sammo can sign on as the new villain or Donnie's partner :smile:

Aaron Kwok who played the Bull King in the first movie held his first concert in London yesterday. I was there and he revealed that he'll be returning for the sequel (as a different character) which starts shooting next month. No mentions on any other cast, crew etc.

Donnie is currently promoting Kung Fu Jungle in HK/China and will resume filming CTHD 2 afterward. And then he will start shooting his first project for his new film company, so it's unlikely he will return for this one.

One Armed Boxer
Donnie is currently promoting Kung Fu Jungle in HK/China and will resume filming CTHD 2 afterward. And then he will start shooting his first project for his new film company, so it's unlikely he will return for this one.

If it's true that Chow Yun Fat has been blacklisted by China, then we can assume he won't be returning for this one either.

Yeah no Donnie in the sequel. Aaron Kwok will now play the Monkey King

Like all most of Donnie Yen other movies, the choreography is speed up so much so that he looks like Quicksilver!

Welcome to the world of Hong Kong action filmmaking because that also applies to Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Jet Li and pretty much other Hong Kong martial arts lead actors (and in general). Some of their best fight scenes are sped up ;)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Surprised this has not been posted.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Donnie Yen! LOL!

The Monkey King 2 Movie Poster, 2016

Director: Cheang Pou-Soi

Cast:
... The Monkey King, Sun Wukong
... White Bone Demon
... Tang Seng
... Zhu Bajie
... Sha Wujing
... King of Yunhaixi
... Guanyin
... White Dragon Horse
... Jade Emperor
... Porcupine Demon
... Bat Demon
... Snake Demon
  

GD Y-Y

One Armed Boxer
24 minutes ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

Surprised this has not been posted.

It has, and your thread has now been merged with the existing thread for it.  You're welcome!

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

This looks so beautiful I will have to check both out eventually, especially if Chow Yung Fat is involved (I loved him in The Curse of the Golden Flower so to see him in something fantastic and so stunningly realized is a definite yes.)

I like some of the CGI too (that's a first for these current wu xia. Nice to see the Shaws logo attached to this too.) And it looks like Aaron Kwok's acting has improved in 20 years as well (:tongueout)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
21 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It has, and your thread has now been merged with the existing thread for it.  You're welcome!

No You Are Welcome.

Those posters are totally rad and tripped out/

GD Y-Y

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
19 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It is coming out Stateside, hmmm... maybe I will try to go see with a coworker who likes these current wu xia. Interesting info about Aaron Kwok, he looks like he inhabits the lead role nicely. 

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Famous Monsters November 2015 short interview with designer Daniel Fu Dong  and American FX artist Shaun Smith. I really hope Make Up Artist magazine does a spread on this.  The make ups look really good and feel like the characters are a part of that world. It's a strong reason why I want to see the film, I believe in the world already. 

Archived