Brutal movies

Gwai LO

My favorite style movies are hardcore/hard hitting martial arts and action movies. I'm not interested in movies made in the 80 and 70s (I'm not a fan of old school.. I know I know you all wanna shoot me). I tried looking online for these style movies but every forum I visited people were saying dumb ass (non violent) movies like "the matrix, 300, gladiator Braveheart. The one, war." Now I loved 300 and brave heart and so on, but those are not the kinda "brutal" movies I'm looking for. I want shoot you in the face, stab you 100 times shock value brutal movies. For example "I saw the devil, dog bite dog" those are the kind I'm looking for.. Even universal soldier day of reckoning and kill bill and Yellow Sea are closer to what I'm looking for. I'm not into horror movies like saw or slasher style stuff I want action/martial arts movies. Some people told me to check out hard boiled and killer, which I will.. But I know you guys gotta know some other good ones that are closer to I saw the devil and dog bite dog

Drunken Monk

Depending on how brutal (and low budget) you want to go, you might enjoy "Adam Chaplin"...

8WeXifjz4Tk

I don't mind low budget.. I enjoyed the hell out of death trance and versus and stuff like that.. But super super low budget like contour, I just can't get into it. Now when you say how brutal, do bite dog is the PERFECT example. I've never heard of that movie before a few days ago and after one watch it's one of my favorites... Loved it!! The Raid 1-2 stuff like that

masterofoneinchpunch

You haven't seen Hard Boiled or The Killer? Two of the most important (and favorite) gun action films of all-time. Here are some random thoughts:

Dredd: lots of blood in this one where the plot is very reminiscent to The Raid except action not martial arts.

Now I know what you wrote about 300: I will add that the sequel was quite bloody and very viseral and I think exactly what you are looking for (though more effective in the cinema.)

Low budget: scenes of Shootfighter (1992) keep popping into my head.

I'll second's Keung's choice for The Man From Nowhere. That main knife fight is awesome (though see it in the context of the movie, not on youtube first though.)

Depending on how brutal (and low budget) you want to go, you might enjoy "Adam Chaplin"...

8WeXifjz4Tk

I will for sure watch this. I am looking for all kinda of stuff like this. It doesn't have to be a movie full of shock value gore like Tokyo gore police and gore school and all that.. I saw the devil had a good story and had lots of brutality thrown in.. So I'm looking for them all lol. I know their is 10000s of low budget Japanese movies like that so id like to problay stay away from all those.. It this Adam Chaplin is perfect!

Some Girls with Guns Movies like Kickboxer's Tears, Dreaming the Reality, Angel Terminators 2... just to mention a few; are pretty brutal IMHO :tongue:

I'll agree on The Man from Nowhere - Excellent Choice

As far as Jet Li goes Kiss of the Dragon is quite brutal.

And to add some Chow Yun Fat Goodness I'd recommend Full Contact.

Many HK Action movies from the 90's are pretty hard hitting :laluot_21:

Drunken Monk

If you haven't already watched it, I'd certainly recommend the "Spartacus" tv show that aired on Starz.

It was a great show with some really brutal battle scenes. Some people didn't enjoy certain seasons but I actually found it pretty consistent.

One Armed Boxer

I would say you're pretty much guaranteed to love the Johnny Yong Bosch starring 'Broken Path / Broken Fist'. So much brutal & bloody fight action in this one, & it's delivered in spades.

Also with Johnny Yong Bosch is the Stunt People's considerably higher budget follow-up to 'Contour' - 'Death Grip'. Not filled with action, but what's there is bloody & violent.

For one of the bloodiest action endings I've seen to any movie, check out the Korean effort 'Soo'.

For old school of course, you can't go far wrong with 'The Story of Ricky'. Too much brutality in this one to even know were to begin, if you like OTT violence then this is the movie for you.

Morgoth Bauglir

I've pretty much given up on new martial arts movies, I haven't even seen The Raid. I know mainly older movies, so maybe not what you are looking for. But I do enjoy a brutal fight.

Killer's Nocturne

Code of Honor

The Sword (1980)

Duel to the Death

Killer in White

Fist of Legend

Police Story

Triad Story

HK Godfather(1985)

Long Arm of the Law 3

Drunken Monk

If you liked "Big Bad Wolves," you should give "Headhunters" a go. It's a fantastic cat and mouse film.

Has anyone seen this movie? I've read mixed reviews, some say its kinda brutal and others say its a comedy.

CwUL3y7s-Og

Drunken Arts

Have you seen Battle Royale?

Would people class 13 Assassins, Versus and Azumi brutal?

Ive got the Beat Takeshi Boxset with Sonatine, Violent Cop and Boiling point, i have not seen any of them yet but hear his films are brutal [Maybe someone else would shed more light on these].

I also second Man From Nowhere & Bittersweet Life - Loved Both of these.

And for a more U.S film, Law Abiding Citizen was quite brutal.

As i too like a good brutal film, although "I saw the Devil" was a tad too much for me lol, i'll name a few more HK films i have not seen but always under the impression they were Brutal, that maybe others could shed some light on, Beast Cops, Naked Killer, A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2 and City on Fire.

Ive heard "A Serbian Film" is nasty but have no clue at what genre it is.

Just watched the trailer for "bittersweet life" and that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Everyone mentioned "a man from nowhere" I've seen it but don't remember it being that brutal, I guess ima have to check it out again I have seen battle royale and it's one of my top 10 favorites, but I wouldn't consider azumi one of those brutal movies, versus is on the cusp for me but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Kitano's Outrage is pretty brutal.

Talking about japanese cinema you might want to check out Dead or Alive and Ichi the Killer.

Drunken Arts

I forgot Ichi The Killer! [Edit: laagi beat me to it lol]

I agree, Battle Royale is brilliant.

Yeah i think Azumi is more bloody than Brutal.

13 Assassins was bloody too but i felt the bad guy was just plain Brutal. One of my fave bad guys ever. He was such a c**k! lol.

I have not seen A Bittersweet Life in ages, but i loved the film.

As you mentioned The Yellow Sea before, i really enjoyed that too.

Kitano's Outrage is pretty brutal.

Talking about japanese cinema you might want to check out Dead or Alive and Ichi the Killer.

Ichi the killer? Is that a martial arts movie? I thought that was more of a slasher horror movie

:tongue: You're welcome!

To add a U.S. production Ninja Assassin was pretty bloody as well.

Looking at the title add the Lone Wolf and Cub Series too...

Drunken Arts
Ichi the killer? Is that a martial arts movie? I thought that was more of a slasher horror movie

I aint seen it in years, i didnt think it was Horror, but not a MA film either.

Here, i just pulled this off of Wiki:

Ichi the Killer is a 2001 Japanese film directed by Takashi Miike, written by Sakichi Sato, and based on Hideo Yamamoto's manga series of the same name. It portrays a story of feuding yakuza gangs primarily through the actions of a scarred and psychologically damaged man, Ichi ('One'), who is manipulated into assaulting or killing rival faction members.

The film is notorious amongst moviegoers, has raised widespread controversy, and is banned outright in several countries due to its high impact violence and graphic depictions of cruelty.

Cheers laagi lol

I too have just got my hands on the entire Lone Wolf and Cub set aswell as the two Lady Snow Blood films, can't wait to get started on these. :bigsmile:

Yeah Ninja Assassin was quite gory.