Sabotage (2014)

SamSeed

For anyone who has seen the new Schwarzenegger film, I was just wondering if there is any martial arts/hand to hand fighting? From the trailer it looks to be mostly gunplay. Not a problem if there isn't and I'll probably go and see it anyway, I just prefer hand to hand.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LemmyThePirate

It's a really good movie, I loved it. It's more a thriller than an action movie, and a "who done it" murder mystery. There some cool very violent gun scenes, not too much hand to hand. Lots of great dialogue. Still, very recommended.

With D. Ayer teaming up with A. Schwarzenegger, it was pretty hard for me to see whether the expectations were on Ayer (who has Training Day under his belt) or on the latter. But what I ended up watching was Arnold's first GREAT film in years -- I'm talking 16-17 years at most. The Expendables 2, The Last Stand and Escape Plan were good attempts at recycling Arnold's talents that made him what he's known for, and did decently with the given material. But I thought this film appropriately utilized him, both as the action icon he is and acting-wise. I can understand why it flopped back when it was in theaters, but honestly it was only a matter of time before he had to adapt to today's film standards. And with this film, he took a wise direction.

This isn't quite your typical Arnold film though. It's directed by D. Ayer so there's alot of elements from his earlier works (particularly Training Day): lots of grittiness, interesting character feats, intensity, conflicts, unexpected twists etc. The acting was good altogether although some in Arnold's crew should've been damped down because at times it goes against the story's seriousness and to the point of raising confusion and unintentional hilarity. I think the film would've done better had they chosen few other actors (personally, I think Michelle Rodriguez would've portrayed a superior and more physically fit Lizzy than M. Enos) for Arnold's team-mates. The action wasn't in great numbers nor doesn't consists of Arnold exaggeratedly blowing up everything his path nor shooting through bad guys but when they happened it was a blast. Lots of violence and blood that will leave any R-rated-seeking viewers truly rewarded. Editing was a bit sloppy and some shots throughout the film looked so amateurish but at the same time it gives the film that edgy flavor the story needs for conviction, and it works. D. Ayer and A. Schwarzenegger need to team up again.

Drunken Monk

If it wasn't got Schwarzenegger this would have been a dud. Don't get me wrong, the film was good but every character is an absolute cartoon other than Arnold. None of these character would and could be police officers in real life and the interactions between them were painfully laughable.

But somehow, Arnold anchors the film and Ayer pumps it with enough plot for the whole thing to stay together. It somehow works despite being a bit of a mess.

I liked "The Last Stand." Quite a bit actually. But this is where Arnold's future should be. As a dark, grizzled, older cop. It's his best work in years and he still got to inject the typical Schwarzenegger-isms into the character (plenty of cigar chomping here!).

In fact, the last ten minutes of the film played out like a maturer, mini-version of a typical Arnie film. Great stuff!

masterofoneinchpunch

I'll add my support to The Last Stand as well which I did a small write up on. It has been my favorite of the recent Arnold films. I have not seen Sabotage, but next Tuesday it comes out in the States (BD combo) so I hope to rectify that soon. I thought Ayer's End of Watch was a strong film so it is another reason I'm looking forward to this movie.

Just watched Sabotage as well.

I thought it was just average. In a way, I almost feel Arnie was miscast in this one. Dug the ending though. :) (even though it felt out of place)

It's sort of the oddball David Ayer film. He's a director known for his realistic, gritty crime thrillers. Yet because Arnold was cast, it's almost as if he was forced to make it Commando... at the same time, he kept that "realistic" tone, while at the same time meshing it with an 80's Arnold Schwarzenegger (without the one-liners). I'm 100% sure Ayer was struggling with studio executives. They wanted Commando. Ayer wanted something more along the lines of End of Watch, etc. The result: Sabotage.

Out of all the new Sly and Arnie films of the last 3-10 years, here are my recommendations:

The Last Stand, Escape Plan, Rocky Balboa and Rambo 4.

The rest of their films aren't good.

TOTALLY looking forward to the next Terminator and Conan movie. And hope Sly does another Rambo. That's what he's good at (portraying and directing). I'm getting sick of his Expendables "fist bumping" BS. All these actions stars add up to one soulless franchise.

Drunken Monk

"Rambo 4" is one of the most underrated action films of the last few decades. It's phenomenal.

I couldn't get through "Escape Plan." I actually much prefer both "Expendables" films, to be honest.

"Rambo 4" is one of the most underrated action films of the last few decades. It's phenomenal.

I couldn't get through "Escape Plan." I actually much prefer both "Expendables" films, to be honest.

I don't know what it is about the Expendables films. I just can't like them for some reason. I'll still give the 3rd one a go...

MPM - I highly recommend the extended director's cut of the first Expendables - it's vastly superior to the theatrical version.

After a few viewings, the 2nd one doesn't hold up for me. It feels too lightweight. It's Cannonball Run 2 with exploding heads, basically. (The opening is pretty awesome, though.)

Sabotage felt like there was a good film in there somewhere but the editing killed it - that, and the plot holes (not to mention the overall "twist".)

MPM - I highly recommend the extended director's cut of the first Expendables - it's vastly superior to the theatrical version.

Been meaning to check it out forever, but that cut hasn't been easily accessible. if it ever appears on netflix, I'll give it another shot.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

Missed it in cinema, because was only shown in dubbed version. will look for it on dvd

Sabotage (USA, 2014) [DCP] – 3.5/5

Flawed but intense mix of street realism and far-out who-did-it mystery; easily Schwarzenegger ’s best movie since the 1990s. Director David Ayer goes for a bit similar gritty style that he used in End of Watch, but without the crowd-pleasing “good buddies” aspect. Instead, every character here is an asshole. That probably cost him some of the audience. The action scenes are very solid, as is the cast. Where the film fails is the storytelling. Some of the plot turns make little sense – possibly because of the heavy re-edits and re-shoots imposed by the studio – though the film has also received unfair criticism from people who simply misunderstood seminal plot turns. *

* Spoilers ahead, in white font! There’s an oddly common misunderstanding that the cartel had something to do with the kills, and knew about the missing money. They didn’t! As it was explained in the film, it was the drug addict woman and her boyfriend who were behind it. The dead cartel members at the forest house and at the bottom of the sea never killed anyone: as it as explained, they were dead before the incidents took place, meaning one body had been left at the crime scene as false evidence, and the others were dumped in the sea after their thumbs had been cut off to plant further fake evidence.

What’s confusing is who exactly killed the cartel members and most of Arnies team members. I’m lead to believe that it was done by contract killers hired by the woman (or hired by Arnie in the original version where he’s the villain). Most of the kills seem like they couldn’t have been done by one or two people alone. The forest house sequence, which seems like the characters’ fuzzy interpretation of what might have happened, suggests there were four men. They probably quit after one of them stepped in the booby trap and got hurt (but not dead, keep in mind the body found at the place was the already-dead cartel member). End of spoilers

In any case, the storyline is a mess, but the film is nevertheless entertaining nonsense.

Few plotholes maybe but I loved ending and whole movie. Reason for arnies actions were clear, he could not find one he wanted1st time but money makes people talk.It came as surprise though. Very high level violence in shootouts. I put this into top5 of Big-A definitely.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just am awful movie. Arnold needs to hang it up. Sorry, just my 2 cents. Tons of over acting and vile characters.But hey, too each their own.

Archived