I started to make image videos for martial artists

FrankBolte

FrankBolte

Wow long topic title, haha...

But really,what you guys think? I have really bad equipment but after years of editing videos for my kung fu school some people started to ask me to make image videos for them...

So here are my first 2 videos...

Thai Boxer:

n1OZpE5fQxk

Ving Tsun:

0vSY2FYQ8Mk

What do you guys think..(apart from using a shabby cam and movie maker for editing lol)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
wow long toppic title haha...

but really,what you guys think? I have really bad equipment but after years of editing videos for my kung fu school some people started to ask me to make image videos for them...

so here are my first 2 videos...

thaiboxer

n1OZpE5fQxk

ving tsun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg-w2Whys5E

what you guys think..(apart from using a shabby cam and movie maker for editing lol)

Hi Frank. :bigsmile:

Overall I thought they were very nice. Here's what I think, and I'm only trying to give constructive criticism because you asked, and mean no disrespect.

Let's start with the positive stuff:

- They are very well-lit. This may seem obvious, but lighting is often terrible in these types of videos, and yours don't have that problem.

- You used a ton of different and effective camera angles, and they were framed in a way that properly showcased the action.

- Great variety of techniques shown.

- I like that you have left the real sound in so we can hear the strikes. A lot of the time the real sound is simply replaced with music, and I feel this lessens the impact of the videos.

The stuff that needs work:

- Those wipes/transitions look amateurish and should never be used again.

- The one instance of weird color mode stood out like a sore thumb, and again, looked amateurish.

- The music was too slow and meditative for the subject matter. I felt like it completely went against everything you had accomplished visually. I recommend something with a good beat for these types of videos, and edit the strikes to the timing of the music's beat. If you re-score the Thai Boxing video with traditional Thai music, I promise you it will come alive and seem like a completely different video.

- I did not like your use of slow-motion for most of the shots. This is something that is much harder to use effectively than it would seem. A good time to use it in these cases is after a very fast bit- a flurry of fast strikes- cutting into a second shot of similar techniques shot in slow-motion to accentuate what was just seen.

- In the Ving Tsun video you have a shot of the subject facing left while practicing solo that cuts to a shot of him facing right against an opponent. This is a basic no-no in editing as it confuses the viewer's eye.

Hope some of what I wrote can be helpful Frank. Please keep it up and I'd love to see more! :wink:

FrankBolte
Hi Frank. :bigsmile:

Overall I thought they were very nice. Here's what I think, and I'm only trying to give constructive criticism because you asked, and mean no disrespect.

Let's start with the positive stuff:

- They are very well-lit. This may seem obvious, but lighting is often terrible in these types of videos, and yours don't have that problem.

- You used a ton of different and effective camera angles, and they were framed in a way that properly showcased the action.

- Great variety of techniques shown.

- I like that you have left the real sound in so we can hear the strikes. A lot of the time the real sound is simply replaced with music, and I feel this lessens the impact of the videos.

The stuff that needs work:

- Those wipes/transitions look amateurish and should never be used again.

- The one instance of weird color mode stood out like a sore thumb, and again, looked amateurish.

- The music was too slow and meditative for the subject matter. I felt like it completely went against everything you had accomplished visually. I recommend something with a good beat for these types of videos, and edit the strikes to the timing of the music's beat. If you re-score the Thai Boxing video with traditional Thai music, I promise you it will come alive and seem like a completely different video.

- I did not like your use of slow-motion for most of the shots. This is something that is much harder to use effectively than it would seem. A good time to use it in these cases is after a very fast bit- a flurry of fast strikes- cutting into a second shot of similar techniques shot in slow-motion to accentuate what was just seen.

- In the Ving Tsun video you have a shot of the subject facing left while practicing solo that cuts to a shot of him facing right against an opponent. This is a basic no-no in editing as it confuses the viewer's eye.

Hope some of what I wrote can be helpful Frank. Please keep it up and I'd love to see more! :wink:

Thanks a lot Bob, for taking the time analyzing my videos... the thai bopx video i dont even like myself.. too many effects etc and the music could be better... I am an amateur lol.. so no wonder about the amateurish things haha...I really appreciate your input,lots opof things to think about.... my next clip shall be better :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks a lot Bob, for taking the time analyzing my videos... the thai bopx video i dont even like myself.. too many effects etc and the music could be better... I am an amateur lol.. so no wonder about the amateurish things haha...I really appreciate your input,lots opof things to think about.... my next clip shall be better :)

Hey Frank, you are doing what most people only think about doing, so you're way ahead of the game! :bigsmile:

When people watch this stuff they either like it or don't, and often they assume they could do it better. Editing, filming, scoring, lighting... these are each an art unto themselves, and not to be taken for granted.

Knowing that you've only created a handful of these I find your videos to be very impressive. I look forward to your next one, and thank you for posting them. :wink:

FrankBolte
Hey Frank, you are doing what most people only think about doing, so you're way ahead of the game! :bigsmile:

When people watch this stuff they either like it or don't, and often they assume they could do it better. Editing, filming, scoring, lighting... these are each an art unto themselves, and not to be taken for granted.

Knowing that you've only created a handful of these I find your videos to be very impressive. I look forward to your next one, and thank you for posting them. :wink:

Thanks again Bob... good input!

Will consider this for my next clip in the future..now back to the school bench :)

ps. I could not change the thaibox clip anymore but a few things including the music I changed with the ving tsun one..

Archived