RIP King of Sticks

teako170

...aka Hsu Hsia.

Toby had posted on FB that the director of Lion Vs Lion, Kid from Kwangtung, I Will Finally Knock You Down, Dad! and several others has passed away.

One of his better known roles was the "King of Sticks" in Drunken Master though he appeared in over 160 films (many as an extra) for four decades. He was also Action Director on such classics as Snuff-Bottle Connection, The Invincible Armour, Broken Oath, SITES, DM, 5 Superfighters. The Master, etc. (over 2 dozen total)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP. Just curious though... Which year was he born in? I've always wondered about his age when I first noticed him in Drunken Master to appearing in what was to be his last film role (playing the leader of the Axe Gang) in the sequel.

Here's a clip from The Hell's Wind Staff in which he battles Yip Fei Yang

?v=NvlDN7RArIE

Monk Sante

RIP. :sad:

He left his mark with regards to action choreography. Most of his works are among the best in the genre. The actors & directors of the "golden age" era of Kung Fu films are slowly disappearing before our eyes. :squigglemouth:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

A very important figure in HK cinema for sure. R.I.P King of Sticks.

RIP. Just curious though... Which year was he born in? I've always wondered about his age when I first noticed him in Drunken Master to appearing in what was to be his last film role (playing the leader of the Axe Gang) in the sequel.

I'm embarrassed to say that after having watched both films countless times... I never noticed he was the Axe Gang leader! :ooh: I guess I just didn't recognize him.

Drunken Monk
I'm embarrassed to say that after having watched both films countless times... I never noticed he was the Axe Gang leader! :ooh: I guess I just didn't recognize him.

Neither did I!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Neither did I!

Perhaps it's all just a big conspiracy on the part of DiP to confuse us? Ah well... any excuse to throw DRUNKEN MASTER 2 in the player again. :angel:

RogueWarrior
A very important figure in HK cinema for sure. R.I.P King of Sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6eylLa4V_F4#t=4030

107:10 he is in a green jacket and hat.

Some of his work (fighter, choreographer, director)

45:25 - 50:25 - 1:13:50

hPcOLaX55tU

rk1qKUAN-8w

vH1wj96RPcw

C1oNhu-XWqs

adN4Gk85hRY

ziIQrlUhp6Q

u8SLcxg9dfc

bYQfB3aOQpE

TpyfWGVdiWo

Y8XS5yTTyIg

You can find a picture of his appearance in the film at Hong Kong Movie Database.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks man. :bigsmile:

Some his work (fighter, choreographer, director)

Big thanks for taking the time to compile and post all of these clips.

You can find a picture of his appearance in the film at Hong Kong Movie Database.

I do hope you know that I was only kidding about you pulling my leg. :wink: I know I can trust it if you've said it. I was just shocked that I hadn't ever noticed myself.

Archived