Director Chor Yuen Suffers from Dementia

RogueWarrior

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I'm not sure I've even seen a Chor Yuen film, despite knowing that he's a legend of genre. I see his name pop up whenever I'm on dddhouse.com but I just don't know where to start. Maybe I need to place some of his films in my shopping cart next time I'm making a purchase.

As I said elsewhere, I hope this is like something from one of his wuxias: he was just pretending to be mad to trap his enemies.

I'm not sure I've even seen a Chor Yuen film, despite knowing that he's a legend of genre. I see his name pop up whenever I'm on dddhouse.com but I just don't know where to start. Maybe I need to place some of his films in my shopping cart next time I'm making a purchase.

I suggest you start with his early 1970's wuxias such as Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan and work forward. If you like wuxia at all, you have a lot of great films to discover.

Eastern Evil
As I said elsewhere, I hope this is like something from one of his wuxias: he was just pretending to be mad to trap his enemies.

I suggest you start with his early 1970's wuxias such as Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan and work forward. If you like wuxia at all, you have a lot of great films to discover.

'Confessions...' is good - I myself prefer his Gu Long work and suggest Death Duel,

Killer Clans, The Magic Blade, & Jade Tiger to start.

Those are 4 of the best movies ever!

OpiumKungFuCracker

My mother has dementia I think, either that or she's giving me the silent treatment.

Secret Executioner
'Confessions...' is good - I myself prefer his Gu Long work and suggest Death Duel,

Killer Clans, The Magic Blade, & Jade Tiger to start.

Those are 4 of the best movies ever!

Legend Of The Bat is also a very good movie - not sure if it's on par with the ones you listed, as I haven't seen those.

Drunken Monk

I actually own "The Magic Blade," "Legend of the Bat" and "Intimate Confessions..." but haven't watched any of them. It seems I have some viewing to do!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Very sad.

w240.jpg

MillionaireCop+1993-41-t.jpg

Zhang Baojian (born September 16, 1934), better known as Chor Yuen, is a Hong Kong-based Chinese film director, screenwriter and actor. He was one of the Shaw bothers‘ most prominent directors.

Chor Yuen started as a script writer in 1956. He directed his first film Grass by the Lake in 1959. In 1960, he made Parents Love which won acclaims from the audience and critics and brought fame to him personally. During his thirty-year career as director, he made over 120 films of various genres including melodramas, comedies, martial arts films and thrillers. One of the most prominent among these is Murder Plot which won him the Best Action Film Director Award at the 25th Asian Film Festival. His later work Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (Ainu) was rated as one of the ten best films of the world in 1973.

He directed lots of cult martial arts films and added many wuxia adaptation into Wuxia Film Genre, mostly adapted from Gu Long‘s novels and mostly starring with Ti Lung, such as; Magic Blade (1976), Clans of Intrigue (1977), Jade Tiger (1977), Sentimental Swordsman (1977)… etc…

In 1998, Chor was given the Professional Achievement Award at the Hong Kong Film Awards.

Sources; hkmdb, wiki …….

Some views about his movies ;

無翼蝙蝠 – Bat Without Wings (1980)

黑蜥蜴 – Black Lizard (1981)

秀花大盜 – Clan of Amazons (1978)

楚留香- Clans of Intrigue (1977)

三少爺的劍 – Death Duel (1977)

日劫 – Descendant of the Sun (1983)

陸小鳳之決戰前後 – The Duel of the Century (1981)

书剑恩仇录 – The Emperor and His Brother (1981)

圓月彎刀 – Full Moon Scimitar (1979)

楚留香之幽靈山莊 – Ghostly Village (1982)

Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre I – II and III

插翅難飛 – Iron Chain Fighter (1980)

白玉老虎 – Jade Tiger (1977)

流星蝴蝶劍 – Killer Clans (1976)

蝙蝠傳奇 – Legend of the Bat (1978)

天涯明月刀 – The Magic Blade (1976)

孔雀王朝 – Murder Plot (1979)

絕代雙驕 – The Proud Twins (1979)

明月刀雪夜殲仇 – Pursuit of Vengeance (1977)

大俠沈勝衣 – The Roving Swordsman (1983)

多情劍客無情劍 – The Sentimental Swordsman (1977)

魔劍俠情 – Return of the Sentimental Swordsman (1981)

浣花洗劍 – The Spirit of the Sword (1982)

蕭十一郎 – Swordsman And Enchantress (1978)

GD Y-Y

Eastern Evil
I actually own "The Magic Blade," "Legend of the Bat" and "Intimate Confessions..." but haven't watched any of them. It seems I have some viewing to do!

'The Magic Blade' should 1st!

Clint Eastwood is almost as good as Ti Lung in comparison!!!

Eastern Evil

Now that The Rangers have taken care of The Penguins, I'm gonna watch my favorite Shaw

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman.

Just a beautiful looking film!

RogueWarrior
Now that The Rangers have taken care of The Penguins, I'm gonna watch my favorite Shaw

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman.

Just a beautiful looking film!

Bonus points if its Eng Dubbed.

Cold Bishop

Dementia.... Or is this just a ploy to keep Yueh Hua from usurping his estate?!

Someone should see if the Chor household has any hidden tunnels underneath it

Eastern Evil
Bonus points if its Eng Dubbed.

I'll tell you what, the scenes with Li Xunhuan and #5/Silver spear are my favorite in pretty much any movie.

Very heavy scene.

https://my.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/chor-yuens-wife-denies-husband-alzheimers-031800944.html

"Veteran actress Nam Hung has recently denied reports saying that her husband, veteran director Chor Yuen is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

"As reported on Mingpao, the actress who was on Che Suk Mui's radio interview, stated that her husband is very happy and has no health complications like it was reported earlier."

Archived