Shout Factory's Jackie Chan 8 Film Collection

muppetdanny

muppetdanny

51nUzVisYsL.jpg

Has anyone got this DVD set from Shout Factory?

I am very tempted to get this but I would like to know more what this set is like before buying. According to amazon.com, it says:

- Dragon Fist (1979) NR - 97 minutes (16x9, 2.35:1 Ratio)

- Magnificent Bodyguards (1978) R 101 min (16x9, 2.35:1 Ratio)

- Battle Creek Brawl (1980) R 95 min (16x9, 2.35:1 Ratio)

- City Hunter (1993) PG-13 105 min (16x9, 1.85:1 Ratio)

- Crime Story (1993) R 103 min (16x9, 1.85:1 Ratio)

- The Protector (1985) R 91 min (16x9, 1.85:1 Ratio)

- Police Story (1985) PG-13 90 min (16x9, 2.35:1 Ratio)

- Police Story 2 (1988) PG-13 92 min (16x9, 2.35:1 Ratio)

1. These 8 movies are dubbed in English with no other audio or subtitles.

2. These are the Fortune Star prints in widescreen format but they are not remastered.

3. The back of the DVD cover insert says they are anamorphic widescreen in NTSC Format.

4. The sound is listed as Dolby 2.0 Stereo/Mono

5. There are two discs with 4 movies each.

6. The case holds the two DVDs separately (swing-out style case).

7. The movies are in color and last approximately 815 minutes total.

8. DVD region is 0.

9. This is marketed by Shout! Factory, distributed by Timeless Media, licensed from Fortune Star.

Police Story 90mins? - Is this an cut version? Maybe it's the Golden Harvest export cut.

Can anyone let me know, Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't seen it, but with 4 films per disc, I would assume the video quality isn't going to be that great. They're probably small resolution video files that are blown up and so are going to look pixellated on a TV, similar to Echo Bridge's Jackie Chan 8 film set.

The 90 minute version of Police Story is the original English dubbed version that was retitled Jackie Chan's Police Force. I don't think it was ever released legitimately in the US - I remember seeing it a lot on those cheap grey market/bootleg tapes that got put out after Rumble in the Bronx; it was also shown on the USA network IIRC. I can't remember what was cut offhand, I would assume it's some of the comedy and Brigitte Lin subplot.

OldPangYau

Police Story 2 being 92 minutes also looks like the international cut as well... I won't lie, I'd be intrigued to see 16x9 versions of these cuts. At least from a completest's standpoint.

As for what was cut from PS1, I know the bulk of the phone juggling scene was eliminated, some of Chan's monologue about the higher ups of the police force getting rich off of the cops risking their lives (after Chan is booked for murder), etc. Been a while since I've watched the shorter cut. Hell, I think the last cut I watched was the extended Japanese cut!

EDIT: Meh, for $7, I'll take the plunge :-p

muppetdanny
So, my copy showed up today. Here's my consensus:

0516141923-1.jpg

:squigglemouth: Me too, is it really bad?

OldPangYau

Sorry I couldn't be more detailed sooner... had a video shoot last night, leading up to a photoshoot this afternoon (see the Raid 2 thread in the modern section :wink:).

Anyway, the least I hoped for was the export transfers of Police Story 1 and 2... nope, just the same 10 year old transfers, but now compressed to all hell to fit four movies on one dual layer disc. Artifacts are all over the place. And yes indeed, the dubs on these films are the only options, but they're also the oh so wonderful 5.1 remixes with new sounds. Dragon Fist sounds muffled as hell, the voice acting in Police Story 1 and 2 is abysmal (hell, the New Line dubs were better), and The Protector... well... it's The Protector.

I'll admit, I didn't even bother with the other disc... and with four movies on one dual layer disc, I should've known better. No extras. Nothing special. Even at less than a dollar per film, I felt ripped off. "Timeless" is basically Shout Factory's answer for when they know something is crap, but they don't want their name on it.

But, hey, look on the bright side... At least they were able to get their money`s worth from the Supercop photo shoot. :tongue:

Why is it that almost every single US release of JC show him in that same pose with the black shirt? Is that the only available photo of JC or what? :bigsmile:

muppetdanny

Just got the boxset today, I had a quick look and.....

- Police Story 1 and 2 are NOT the GH export versions, they are the full cut 101min and 121min versions.

- Dragon Fist, Magnificent Bodybuards and Crime Story are the original English dubs.

- Just one menu on each disc with the same style design and the JC picture used on the front cover.

Son Of A Gun
But, hey, look on the bright side... At least they were able to get their money`s worth from the Supercop photo shoot. :tongue:

Why is it that almost every single US release of JC show him in that same pose with the black shirt? Is that the only available photo of JC or what? :bigsmile:

lol, i know. Annoying as F*ck it is! I really think that they think he's only ever done one photo shoot. I really do. :neutral:

- Police Story 1 and 2 are NOT the GH export versions, they are the full cut 101min and 121min versions.

- Dragon Fist, Magnificent Bodybuards and Crime Story are the original English dubs.

- Just one menu on each disc with the same style design and the JC picture used on the front cover.

*cough* Old news! *cough , cough splutter,....oh sorry, must be something in the air tonight. Dusty.

Just kidding. :tongue: Or am I? :angel: But really, I didn't realise those 3 films had the original eng dubs. thanks. Are they mono or mono sounding stereo mixes? I'm guessing they sound terrible, right? :/ shame.

muppetdanny

*cough* Old news! *cough , cough splutter,....oh sorry, must be something in the air tonight. Dusty.

Just kidding. :tongue: Or am I? :angel: But really, I didn't realise those 3 films had the original eng dubs. thanks. Are they mono or mono sounding stereo mixes? I'm guessing they sound terrible, right? :/ shame.

Hi Son Of A Gun:wink:

I have no idea, I am guessing mono sounding stereo mixes, In "Magnificent Bodybuards" sfx are added in the opening fight scene.

It's not a bad DVD in my opinion, I am happy with them, I like idea 4 JC classic films on 1 disc:nerd: just that I was so hoping that Police Story 1 was the GH export version with different music to the HK score.

massa_yoda
Just got the boxset today, I had a quick look and.....

The only question I have is about Dragon Fist. I have this old Columbia Tri Star edition that is cut by 20 minutes and has a horrid English dub. This edition is longer I take it? And the dub is different than the Columbia one?

muppetdanny
The only question I have is about Dragon Fist. I have this old Columbia Tri Star edition that is cut by 20 minutes and has a horrid English dub. This edition is longer I take it? And the dub is different than the Columbia one?

Yep, the longer version. I don't know if it a different English dub but it's the same one used on Eastern Heroes and Panmedia DVDs that I own.

Secret Executioner

Guess that set isn't too bad after all... If you're a Jackie collector. :tongue:

lol, i know. Annoying as F*ck it is! I really think that they think he's only ever done one photo shoot. I really do. :neutral:

Maybe it's just me, but another pic that I feel is often used is this one:

51BnFSkN9hL.jpg

For some reason, I had a feeling of "déjà vu" seeing that... :squigglemouth:

Son Of A Gun

No, it's the HKL version that's cut by 20 mins. aka, the rerelease. The Columbia Tri star is the full length version. Or at least, 20 mins longer. So you're mistaken there. And the english dubs are the same. There is one. I know one dvd is mandarin and one has cantonese dubs though. I can't remember which has which.

Muppet Danny - I was so hoping that Police Story 1 was the GH export version with different music to the HK score.

That is never gonna happen in this day and age. that score was made for the really cut down version for UK/American VHS. Likely never to be used again on any official release. But it's ok, custom dvds have it.

massa_yoda
No, it's the HKL version that's cut by 20 mins. aka, the rerelease. The Columbia Tri star is the full length version. Or at least, 20 mins longer. So you're mistaken there. And the english dubs are the same. There is one. I know one dvd is mandarin and one has cantonese dubs though. I can't remember which has which.

No I'm not. I have the Columbia Tri star R1 release and it is cut by 20 minutes.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1165

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk/jackie-chan-movies-collection/dragon-fist/

Son Of A Gun

My bad, sorry, Just realized you're talking about Dragon Fist, for some reason I thought we we were talking about New Fist of Fury for some reason. Mainly coz of the 20 mins cut/missing and the word "Fist". That just made me think of the New Fist Fury. Sorry. :cry:

massa_yoda
My bad, sorry, Just realized you're talking about Dragon Fist, for some reason I thought we we were talking about New Fist of Fury for some reason. Mainly coz of the 20 mins cut/missing and the word "Fist". That just made me think of the New Fist Fury. Sorry. :cry:

That's okay. It's true about New Fist of Fury, though I think it's actually around 40 minutes cut from HKL and other versions! Yikes.

muppetdanny
That is never gonna happen in this day and age. that score was made for the really cut down version for UK/American VHS. Likely never to be used again on any official release. But it's ok, custom dvds have it.

Do you have that version with the US score? I have the original English dub but with the HK score that I got from you from a while back.

Son Of A Gun

Yes, Massa Yoda, Yikes! indeed. Alot of time to cut out of a film, but I actually prefer the shorter version. It's dull enough as it is. :tongue: But good to have the longer original version as well.

Frog, I only have the same old crappy sounding tapes that everyone else has of that Police Story version. Someone on ADC made a custom dvd with that soundtrack on i think, but i doubt it sounds very good. For starters im not sure if they cut down the film to match the shorter audio or if they filled in the gaps with music from the HK version. 2nd, every tape I've got of that version has rubbish sound quality. I do have a version of Police Story with that alternate score with original cantonese dubbing, cut to the shorter UK length. Its from EMI slip case VHS. I plan to put it on a custom dvd one day. One day. :wink: The sound quality of the music is much crisper/clearer than the english dub videos I've heard.

Secret Executioner

I have this version of Dragon Fist (info from http://jackiechandvds.co.uk/jackie-chan-movies-collection/dragon-fist/)

dragon-fist-french.jpg

FRENCH REGION 2 DVD PAL

Anamorphic widescreen, Cantonese Dolby Digital 5.1 or French dubbed 2.0. Added sound fx. French subtitles no English. No Extras.

That said, according to the infos on the package of my copy (which comes on a double-sided DVD with Fearless Hyena II):

there's only a mono French dub (no other language on that one)

it has a running time of 92 mins

Is the version on that collection better (as in worth the upgrade) ? Also, I figured I could get this since I only have 3 films on it: Dragon Fist and the 2 Police Story films

always buy these version if you're like me and want the French dub + best picture:

dragon-fist-french-2.jpg

in these old set, the picture quality is pretty dark and blurry.

dragon-fist-french.jpg

here's a comparison:

photos-le-poing-de-la-vengeance-3985264lhbof.jpg

poingvengeance3_0dedf46323da1f347ddd85adda95feb4.jpg

Archived