Tokyo Tribe (2014) New Rap Musical from Sion Sono!

Takuma

Finally bought the Japanese BD. Not quite the sharpest transfer, although I think some of caps are soft because the camera is in constant move (e.g. the first two caps are from the middle of a 4 minute tracking shot, and the 4th cap is from a different tracking shot). Two audio commentaries (Sono + Young Dais and Inoue + producers) and JP trailer on the first disc. Optional Japanese subs for the lyrics are also available. BD-25.

The second disc (BD-25) features making of (64 min), another making of (27 min), deleted scenes (3.5 min), premiere footage (5 min) two versions of the Hope - Tokyo Tribe Anthem music video, teaser, theater manners spot, and a completely new English language trailer that I have never seen before.

tt1s.jpg

tt3s.jpg

tt4s.jpg

tt5s.jpg

tt6s.jpg

tt7s.jpg

tt8s.jpg

tt10s.jpg

Yeah, I admit it, I like her

tt9s.jpg

Crazy tag team move by Bernard Ackah and Joye Beni

tt14s.jpg

tt11s.jpg

tt13s.jpg

• Like 1

This made great Valentine's Day viewing with my girlfriend. 1st time for her, 5th time for me. Still has the same flaws (mostly stupid CGI) but still rocks despite of them. Visually mind-blowing, fantastic soundtrack and some nice bits of martial arts. Favourite gang: Neri Mother Fuckers. They're completely ridiculous and ridiculously cool at the same time. GF liked the film, too. She said she wants to see more Sion Sono films because "he hires actresses who can act and fight, and not Atsuko Maeda." * Love Exposure is up next.

* I made the grave mistake of praising Atsuko Maeda for her performances in Moratorium Tamako and Sayonara Kabukicho some time ago and didn't even stop when I saw smoke coming out of her ears. I later learned that ALL Japanese girls HATE (H-A-T-E) Atsuko Maeda. A lot of guys have gotten themselves into trouble by mentioning her name.

• Like 1

This made great Valentine's Day viewing with my girlfriend. 1st time for her, 5th time for me. Still has the same flaws (mostly stupid CGI) but still rocks despite of them. Visually mind-blowing, fantastic soundtrack and some nice bits of martial arts. Favourite gang: Neri Mother Fuckers. They're completely ridiculous and ridiculously cool at the same time. GF liked the film, too. She said she wants to see more Sion Sono films because "he hires actresses who can act and fight, and not Atsuko Maeda." * Love Exposure is up next.

* I made the grave mistake of praising Atsuko Maeda for her performances in Moratorium Tamako and Sayonara Kabukicho some time ago and didn't even stop when I saw smoke coming out of her ears. I later learned that ALL Japanese girls HATE (H-A-T-E) Atsuko Maeda. A lot of guys have gotten themselves into trouble by mentioning her name.

Lolol. What's that all about?

• Like 1

Lolol. What's that all about?

Someone else asked me the same thing, so I'll give you the same answer: Only if I knew...

(but it's gotta have something to do with her being popular with guys while not appealing to girls)

My friend tried asking his girlfriend, but apparently the flames in her eyes convinced him to change the topic...

• Like 1

Joblo.com has recently posted that TOKYO TRIBE will be released in selected cinemas nationwide in the UK on 8 May 2015.

• Like 1

This film is the centerpiece feature of the NYAFF. But when I watched the trailer I immediately ruled it out. But now after reading this I may go see it. Glad to know I wasn't the only who thought the trailer made it look totally unwatchable.

• Like 1

Superfly - the trailer is garbage. The film itself isn't! I’m 30 minutes in and this is one seriously, deliriously, fantastic, feast-your eyes film.

All you non-UK cats, If you can’t wait – and you can play region 2 DVDs/region B BDs - the UK edition is out now and is already down to half price on Amazon UK:

UK BD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tokyo-Tribe-Blu-ray-Sion-Sono/dp/B00X2LIHHC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1435323104&sr=1-1&keywords=tokyo+tribe

UK DVD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tokyo-Tribe-DVD-Sion-Sono/dp/B00WQT4FGI/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1435323104&sr=1-2&keywords=tokyo+tribe

• Like 1

This film is just fantastic - joyous, delirious stuff.

Everyone on here should be checking this one out when they can.

Tokyo Tribe/Never Ever Die!

• Like 1

Great review, FilmMomatic!

Always awesome when someone loves a film as much as you do.

Thanks man! I watched it at Japanese Film Festival 2014 last year and I proudly own the film on Blu-Ray.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the name of the character/actor that played the part of the bodyguard/friend to the Sunmi/Erica character? He was also in Yakuza Apocalypse and want to update IMDB with his credit for that film.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the name of the character/actor that played the part of the bodyguard/friend to the Sunmi/Erica character? He was also in Yakuza Apocalypse and want to update IMDB with his credit for that film.

You mean Makoto Sakaguchi? She, not he, though she often plays male characters...

makoto.jpg

• Like 1

You mean Makoto Sakaguchi? She, not he, though she often plays male characters...

makoto.jpg

Awesome. My first exposure was in Yakuza Apocalypse where she played a man, so I assumed she was a man. Either way, this explains why I couldn't mind much info, as I was looking for someone of the opposite gender. Thanks!

• Like 1

I first saw her in Tokyo Tribe and it took me a little while to confirm her sex :laugh

I believe she's working for Worsal, an action studio which is also doing Re:Born (Tak Sakaguchi's come back). Just last week I was watching extras for Tag and spotted her there, doing stunt doubling or bit part in a major action scene.

Here she's being punched by Tak Sakaguchi :laugh

Some other vids

• Like 2

Might be worth noting now that while Sakaguchi was "retired" from 2013 till Re:Born, he did keep working under pseudonyms as action choreographer during that time. He was for example the action director in Tokyo Tribe (credited as "Toshiro Takuma"... no relation to me :laugh).

(Speaking of Tokyo Tribe... guys, check it out if you have even the slightest tolerance for rap music. It's a seriously fun film with terrific visuals and some brief but exciting bits of martial arts action... a sort of Japanese version of The Warriors).

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 4/20/2018 at 12:44 AM, Takuma said:

Might be worth noting now that while Sakaguchi was "retired" from 2013 till Re:Born, he did keep working under pseudonyms as action choreographer during that time. He was for example the action director in Tokyo Tribe (credited as "Toshiro Takuma"... no relation to me :laugh).

(Speaking of Tokyo Tribe... guys, check it out if you have even the slightest tolerance for rap music. It's a seriously fun film with terrific visuals and some brief but exciting bits of martial arts action... a sort of Japanese version of The Warriors).

Aha! I had no idea- thanks for sharing that. I thought TOKYO TRIBE was audacious entertainment from start to finish. A wacky, great time.

And I dug RE:BORN too. Keep wanting to write my thoughts about it (and other stuff I've watched) here on the forum, but I'm insanely busy these days.

• Like 4