Kundo: Age of the Rampant (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Take the director of 'Nameless Gangster', Yoon Jong-bin, throw in a bald headed Ha Jeong-woo armed with 2 hefty meat cleavers, and add Kang Dong-won going all wuxia with a sword....what do you have? 'Kundo: Age of the Rampant', and it looks like it could be an entertaining ride!

bRC12n6X1j8

Kundo-Age-of-the-Rampant-1-717x1024-thumb-300xauto-47778.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched this the other day and I enjoyed it very much. It's like a Korean version of The Water Margin, but with a lot more heartache.

The fight scenes are well done, even though they are really spaced apart. No wirefu in this one. The weapons play is awesome, especially the swordplay by the main villain. At 2.5hrs in length, there probably was stuff that could have been trimmed out, but I guess you should go into it expecting a drama with a number of martial arts sequences.

pjxR99WMDuQ

This movie is brilliant. Everyone involved in this film outdid themselves AND any film labelled a 'Martial Arts Period piece'. Korean films don't make alot in this genre, but when they do they break the mold.

I know Daisho will love this one for sure! :nerd:

• Administrator

I just watched my Well Go USA Blu-ray (Bravo WG... another fine looking disc!) and I loved it! Very cool movie.

I watched this the other day and I enjoyed it very much. It's like a Korean version of The Water Margin, but with a lot more heartache.

The fight scenes are well done, even though they are really spaced apart. No wirefu in this one. The weapons play is awesome, especially the swordplay by the main villain. At 2.5hrs in length, there probably was stuff that could have been trimmed out, but I guess you should go into it expecting a drama with a number of martial arts sequences.

Well said!

This movie is brilliant. Everyone involved in this film outdid themselves AND any film labelled a 'Martial Arts Period piece'. Korean films don't make alot in this genre, but when they do they break the mold.

I know Daisho will love this one for sure! :nerd:

Yeah, no doubt.

I'll be posting a full review soon.

Very entertaining movie. The plot was simple but intriguing due to good acting and the fact that characters were fleshed out and had reasons for ther intentions. Great acting all around, I'm not familiar with Korean (or any modern Asian actors/crews really), but they all did a good job. I did recognize "Woochi", this being the second movie I've seen him in, he seems like a good actor! Two very different roles. The main character with the meat cleavers was great though, although it was hard to buy him being 18. He played the role great, and was good in action as well.

This movie puts drama and characterization before action, but there is still a good amount of fights (especially in the final act), and they're well done. The fights are wire-free and very fast paced with some cool swordplay, although they're pretty cut up, it didn't detract from enjoying it to me. I thought it was very cool that it had a similar set up to the Water Margin, with the good hearted bandit clan from the mountain! The soundtrack was great, and I definitely heard songs that I have heard in some classic indie kung fu flicks!

I'll probably try to see more from people in this crew.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one last night, and like director Yoon Jong-bin's previous effort, 'Nameless Gangster', something about this just didn't connect with me.

I think the issue lies in the fact that the buildup in both movies simply takes too long to get going, a perfect example here being it's only at the 1 hour mark that Ha Jung-woo actually joins the bandits and the story can begin proper. All performances were impressive though, including what was essentially a cameo role from Kim Kko-bi, who sets off the main chain of events, playing a character pregnant with the heir to the throne.

I also found the use of music to try and make it a Joseon era style spaghetti western to be distracting more than quirky, which it seemed to be going for, although it was nice to see the old-school kung-fu movie super zoom in effect at various points.

All in all I think it could just come down to the fact that I'm not a fan of Jong-bin's directing style. I've found both of his movies to be long in the tooth, and lacking any tension in the narrative structure to justify sustaining interest for the over-long duration.

I did recognize "Woochi", this being the second movie I've seen him in, he seems like a good actor! Two very different roles.

This is Kang Dong-won, and if you haven't seen it I'd highly recommend checking out 'Secret Reunion', a movie which combines comedy, action, and drama perfectly. He played a similar wuxia style role in the 2005 movie 'Duelist', which ironically also has Song Yeong-chang playing a father figure to Dong-won as he does in 'Kundo' (& he meets a similar fate in 'Duelist' as well! This guy literally never makes it to the end of a movie!).

The main character with the meat cleavers was great though, although it was hard to buy him being 18. He played the role great, and was good in action as well.

This is Ha Jung-woo, whose most famous role in the west remains as the killer from 'The Chaser'. He also gave an amazing performance as the lead character in 'The Chaser' directors follow-up movie, 'The Yellow Sea'. For his best action performance though, check out 'The Berlin File'.

I beleve some of the movies you recommended are on streaming Hulu/Netflix, I'll have to add em to the queue.

It's funny, a lot of the things you didn't like about the film, are aspects that I enjoyed! As you said yourself, it comes down to preference, I can see this being a love it or hate it film. One thing we can all agree on is some cool characters and awesome acting performances!

One Armed Boxer
I beleve some of the movies you recommended are on streaming Hulu/Netflix, I'll have to add em to the queue.

Be warned that 'Duelist' is strictly a love it or hate it kind of movie. The very mention of it usually sparks fiery debate around if it's an artistic masterpiece of a boring heap of pretentious crap.

It's funny, a lot of the things you didn't like about the film, are aspects that I enjoyed! As you said yourself, it comes down to preference, I can see this being a love it or hate it film. One thing we can all agree on is some cool characters and awesome acting performances!

Agreed!

Finally got to watch this and what a great film, one of the best Korean films i have seen in a long time, good action and acting, like a cross between Robin Hood, The Water Margin with a Spaghetti western feel. Recommended.

Archived