Trying to name all Ma Yeung Chen and Ma Su Chen films

66 Mantis

66 Mantis

I'm considering doing an article for a zine I write for that would include the films of that famous brother/sister combo (along with some history of these two if there is any) and could use some help naming titles that I may be missing. Here are the ones I've seen:

Boxer From Shantung

Queen Boxer

Furious Slaughter

Ma Su Chen (The Rebel Boxer)

Ma Su Chen Takes Revenge

Hero

I'm sure there are others, but I'm blanking. :squigglemouth:

• Like 1

ShawAngela

Kung fu Mama : Ma Yong Zhen's mother comes with her disciples to where he was killed in order to find Ma Su Chen who has been captured by the killers.

• Like 1

66 Mantis

Ah, thanks. I actually have both of those; Heroine Susan (I have the FuSubs version) is the one I blanked on and I didn't make the connection with Kung Fu Mama.

Edit: Oh jeez, just realized I blogged about Heroine Susan and STILL forgot about it. I'm no kid anymore, but still way too young for senility to be setting in...

• Like 1

ShawAngela

If I'm not mistaken, there is also Brave girl boxer in Shanghai, with Doris Lung playing Ma Su Chen.

• Like 1

66 Mantis
If I'm not mistaken, there is also Brave girl boxer in Shanghai, with Doris Lung playing Ma Su Chen.

That one I'll have to get my hands on. I knew there were at least a couple of variations that I either haven't seen yet or simply forgot about.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Chen Kuan Tai made two "Ma-Sploitation" movies when he practically plays Ma Yueng Chen - Man of Iron and Big Boss of Shanghai.

Also, on the UK DVD of BBoS, they show a clip from another film that looks to be based on the story and features Chen, but I don;t know its name.

• Like 1

66 Mantis
Chen Kuan Tai made two "Ma-Sploitation" movies when he practically plays Ma Yueng Chen - Man of Iron and Big Boss of Shanghai.

Also, on the UK DVD of BBoS, they show a clip from another film that looks to be based on the story and features Chen, but I don;t know its name.

Yeah, I'm debating whether to include Man of Iron or not for the reasons you gave. Ah what the hell, I'll include it. It's a pretty loose zine so what am I being a tight ass about?

Am curious about that clip though...

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Yeah, I'm debating whether to include Man of Iron or not for the reasons you gave. Ah what the hell, I'll include it. It's a pretty loose zine so what am I being a tight ass about?

Am curious about that clip though...

I think the clip was from Layout (1977)

• Like 1

Cold Bishop

There was a 1988 Mainland film about Ma Su Chen, although I can't find any English language info on it.

Still, you can see clips on youku and such.

http://baike.baidu.com/view/977286.htm

• Like 1

Once Upon A Time In Shanghai (starring Philip Ng) features Ma Wing Jing but I don't know that Ma Su Chen is included as a character.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them!

Is there a link to a page that gives a rundown of the two characters' real life history? I'm assuming these are real life folk heroes who have been romanticized in films. Or are they completely fictitious?

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

I had to find out. After finding out that there was no real physical proof that there was a southern Shaolin Temple and that most of Hung Hsi Kwan and Fang Sai Yuk's background was from fiction, I wondered if there was even a Ma Yung Shen. He was probably just a bad ass thug who took a lot of guys with him when he was finally taken down, and I imagine it was a weapons based fight (knives and axes, etc) and little kung fu, if any.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2014 at 5:49 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

He was probably just a bad ass thug who took a lot of guys with him when he was finally taken down, and I imagine it was a weapons based fight (knives and axes, etc) and little kung fu, if any.

Did you ever find evidence to support this theory?

In other news, I revisited both Heroine Susan and Ma Su Chen (both from 1973) this week. The latter is definitely better: Nancy Yen definitely sales the badass kung fu girl attitude more than Wang Ping does, and Yu Tien-Lung is definitely a better action director than whoever did Heroine Susan. His fight scenes have far more flare than the extremely repetitive fights in the other version.

Here are my reviews for both films:

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

There are some poorly translated articles on him on the web. Seemed like he was involved with horse racing and he was set up and I think flour thrown in his eyes. How much of a fighter he was it did not seem to mention. 

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Chinese wikipedia article says he started practising martial arts as a child, later on teached Cha Quan und at some point was a military training advisor (or something like that). 

• Like 3

On 3/19/2022 at 6:28 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

There are some poorly translated articles on him on the web. Seemed like he was involved with horse racing and he was set up and I think flour thrown in his eyes. How much of a fighter he was it did not seem to mention. 

If the movies are faithful to this matter of flour, then, maybe it's beacuse he was a too good fighter for his enemies that they used this trick in order to be able to finally kill him.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
8 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Chinese wikipedia article says he started practising martial arts as a child, later on teached Cha Quan und at some point was a military training advisor (or something like that). 

Yes, I saw that one. He was a Muslim as well. The one thing different is that he lived in the Ch'ing dynasty, not the Republic. I have to wonder how much of these are embellished like stories of gunfighters. But there was an Axe Gang, that is for sure. They even made films in Hollywood about hatchet men in the 1930's. Of course Edward G Robinson played a Chinese guy. But it was interesting.    

• Like 5