Maniac Cop (2018) - remake of 80's horror film

AlbertV

Just learned this via Dark Horizons...

A remake of the 1987 horror film Maniac Cop is going to made. What's interesting is that the film's producers are the original film's helmer, William Lustig and...Nicolas Winding Refn!!!! The director is expected to be announced at the Cannes Film Festival...

The script was written by Ed Brubaker, the man responsible for the original comic arc of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Question of the issue....who would you cast as Officer Matt Cordell (unless they change his name)???

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek Mears would be pretty good, but no doubt they'll go with some wrestler that can't act.

What's interesting is that the film's producers are the original film's helmer, William Lustig and...Nicolas Winding Refn!!!!

Interesting, but not very surprising considering Lustig already produced the (rather excellent) Maniac remake, and Refn is a huge Lustig fan. The Scandinavian Maniac DVD begins with an introduction by Refn.

I think Dan Yeager would make a good Matt Cordell. He really surprised me as Leatherface in TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D. Not many people like that one, but I did because it made Leatherface someone who was now in control because he misses his family and goes after the ones responsible (aside from those who entered his home and disturbed him)

Interesting, but not very surprising considering Lustig already produced the (rather excellent) Maniac remake, and Refn is a huge Lustig fan. The Scandinavian Maniac DVD begins with an introduction by Refn.

I don't think that Lustig was involved nor had anything to do with the 2012 release of Maniac starring Elijah Wood if that is the film that you are referring to but I could be wrong.

I don't think that Lustig was involved nor had anything to do with the 2012 release of Maniac starring Elijah Wood if that is the film that you are referring to but I could be wrong.

IMDb is listing him as producer, but I don't know exactly how involved he was in the end.

The remake has officially been greenlit. John Hyams will be directing the film. Nicolas Winding Refn and Lene Borglum will be producing with Refn and original MC trilogy helmer William Lustig serving as "creative producers" with Ed Brubaker's script still intact. The remake has been described not as a horror film, but a contemporary and realistic action thriller, which will involve a female L.A. cop investigating a series of murders committed by one of her fellow officers. Casting is currently underway as shooting is set to begin this summer.

http://variety.com/2017/film/global/nicolas-winding-refn-maniac-cop-wild-bunch-sales-1202014803/

Sad news on the horizons, for anyone who was looking forward to the remake. Larry Cohen said the remake may no longer be happening, but has no worries:

“As far as I know, that’s not happening anymore, and if it is, they might be trying to keep it a secret, as they’d owe me $250,000. Ed Brubaker wrote the script, and I’ve read the script, and it’s not very good. Ed Brubaker is a very good writer of comic books, I think. But if he’s written a good script for a movie, I haven’t read it.

I wrote six new scenes for the picture, based on what I’d read. And, had I written the whole script, the movie would probably be happening, as the script would be good. I wrote three films for Bill Lustig, though they changed a lot of [Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence] and Bill got fired from it…and I would’ve written the fourth movie, had they asked. But they didn’t, and now it’s not getting made.”

Maniac Cop is being retooled now as a TV series with Refn doing it....will be doing a thread on it.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:39 AM, AlbertV said:

Maniac Cop is being retooled now as a TV series with Refn doing it....will be doing a thread on it.

Good. Even in hollywoods silly re-make frenzy rebooting maniac cop as movie would feel particularly pointless. But series may actually turn out to be decent, and hopefully will be the case.

Archived