Kung Pow: Enter The Fist (2002)

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

I thought it was pretty funny back when I saw it in 02. I wanna know if the film still holds up. Didn't know where to classify this since it's a spoof and not really an actual martial arts film. Does this film still holds up? Does it suck? Do some despised it? Let's hear your thoughts. Should I just watch a Goddfrey Ho film or any B action? Even back in 02, the kung fu spoof is really nothing new right?

• Like 1

I still enjoy it...I mean it was ingenious at the time what Steve Oedekerk did...I mean he took the kung fu film Tiger and Crane Fist and digitally inserted himself and others in the actual film, redubbed all the voices himself (except for Jennifer Tung's one-boobed Whoa!), and inserted some new stuff as well. It may be goofy by today's standards, but I still like to watch it now and again as does some of my co-workers. :)

• Like 1

massa_yoda

I feel like it was a missed opportunity. Loved the idea. Some of the jokes are great, like the thousand zooms and some of the first dubbed lines "....dunno." But instead of continuing to be a clever parody of classic kung fu films, Odenkirk's strange (sometimes funny) humor guides the rest of the film, especially the whacked out ending. But if it's on TV I still may give it a watch from time to time.

Good use of Baby Got Back too.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

I still randomly quote at various lunch tables (yes I have memorized this): "I have been called bad before. Many have said I do things that are not correct to do. I do not believe in talk such as this. I am nice man, with happy feelings all of the time. First, a joke. What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord? My ass! Nyah, yah, haha, haha, ENOUGH!" One must emphasis the ENOUGH for people to think you are nuts. Funny enough I have had one person get the reference.

• Like 1

It's become more of a small cult following. Quoted around a lot but personally i loved it! There was meant to be a sequel to it but nothing yet

• Like 1

Definitely one of my guilty pleasures. So often I want to shout "THAT'S A LOT OF NUTS!" but no one around me would get it :tongue:

As for the print of Tiger and Crane Fists, it seems like they restored only the footage that they would need for the finished film as opposed to the entirety of the original film.

What's interesting is that this has yet to get a blu-ray release... it would be great to finally see Tiger and Crane Fists as an extra.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

Does anyone know of any interviews and/or any comments about this film from say Jimmy Wang Yu or anyone else involved in The Savage Killers aka Tiger and Crane Fist?

• Like 2