Man on High Heels (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The new movie from Jang Jin, most famous for his 2001 effort 'Guns and Talks', is due out in Korea soon. While initial reports suggested that this was going to be a comedy, both the trailer and the poster art imply that this one may actually be getting played straight, which should certainly make things interesting. Check out both below -

-Gimikt3FKc

%ED%95%98%EC%9D%B4%ED%9E%90.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
A review is in from the guys over at Twitch, and this looks to be a pretty solid gangster outing, with plenty of action and a main character who wants to be a woman...what more do you need? -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/10/vancouver-2014-review-man-on-high-heels-crime-genre-as-transgender-study.html

The trailers look good, but that title... :neutral: I was really stuck on that, wondering if it was just poorly translated to English. After reading your comment, apparently not. :wink: Okay, that's certainly a fresh idea for an action/gangster film, but I wonder if it will alienate the mostly young adult male crowd that typically watches these films. I know that when I saw the film BEAUTIFUL BOXER (2004)- which has a similar element- no matter how much I praised the film, few guys were willing to watch it. Hopefully a decade later, people are more open-minded and tolerant in 2014. Let's see.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm thirstin for a bad ass Korean movie, Hope this one quenches it. Damn, I have to buy this one on yesasia now.

Is this movie considered a a martial arts movie? I know I've seen some people say it's brutal, but are the fights few and far between?

One Armed Boxer
Is this movie considered a a martial arts movie? I know I've seen some people say it's brutal, but are the fights few and far between?

No, it's not a martial arts movie, the same way stuff like 'The Yellow Sea' and 'I Saw the Devil' also aren't martial arts movies. Nor is it what you'd consider to be loaded with fight scenes. Is it a great movie though? Yes.

I have been on the edge for this movie for a long time. I don't know if I can get on board with a cross dressing bad ass. Not that I have an issue with that.. Just not my kinda movie.

One Armed Boxer
I don't know if I can get on board with a cross dressing bad ass.

I have a feeling a lot of people may share your sentiments, which is probably what will stop it being picked up for US distribution. It's a shame, because it's well worth a watch, and if you like your action delivered rough and bloody, it does the job more than well. I hope I'm wrong, and would love the pleasant surprise of hearing that a company like Well Go USA have picked this up, but if they were going to, I think we probably would have heard already.

Archived