Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

teako170

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

so...what's "Beyond Darkness"?  :tongueout

Hee hee, that's mixing up two films in my head or the title for the fourth film in the new Star Trek series.  Now I'm thinking what is beyond darkness?  Cosmic Background Radiation.

Off to see Disney's attempt at a Star Wars movie tomorrow evening. Hopefully now the school holiday are over it wont be too busy. Ive been that exposed to this film through advertising alone I'm already feeling a bit jaded by it all.

Secret Executioner

Gonna go see it later this month. With a native language (as opposed to the usual - and pretty bad - French dub) version coming up (and hopefully the craze coming down), I guess I don't have an excuse not to go now.

Gonna go see it later this month. With a native language (as opposed to the usual - and pretty bad - French dub) version coming up (and hopefully the craze coming down), I guess I don't have an excuse not to go now.

The hypes still pretty big hear and their media campaign is still going strong. There linking the film to every product out there. You'll get an advert for a printer with star wars theme and a reminder its in cinemas now. Then there's the countless YouTube adverts too. 

Ive seen it twice. I really enjoyed it, and I only have two small complaints. The relationship between two characters seems corny and forced, hopefully their chemistry gets better. My second complaint is that the light saber fights are crap, filmed in super zoomed up shaky cam. I did watch Phantom Menace shortly before seeing it, which probably has my favorite light saber fight of the series...

The Raid crew is basically a joke here if you were expecting them to kick some butt, I wasn't so I wasn't let down by it.

Still a very fun adventurous movie, and a good addition to the series. 

Seen it the week it came out and wasn't crowded at all. It was ok. I was a bit drunk and high while watching so it should've been epic. Nope.

The girl is cute. The ex-stormtrooper has too much overacting and sweatface. Very annoying character.

TheGrimReaper

I've manage to see it twice already and here are my 50 cents about it: I grew up with the original trilogy and like the characters in it, the story and the possible paths which any of them could take in the future. I disliked the prequel trilogy, being too CGI for my personal taste and feeling lifeless and flat most of the time - only in Episode III I saw some sparks of greatness, bu they were drowned by the special effects and green screen stupidity...

Having said that I liked the 7th part of the franchise, despite all the flaws and the fact that there were some recycled old ideas from previous movies, the newcomers did good, the old dogs were supporting them, Han Solo is Han Solo, Kylo Ren was somehow strange with particularly interesting anger management, it was good to see a refreshing blend of practcal and CGI effects, miniatures, real scale objects and living, breathing backgrounds, new story with new possibilities for our main characters, plenty of nostalgia and for me it was nice to revisit this galaxy far far away once more...

I'm not here to act as white knight for the new movie, I'm just sharing my personal thoughts (completely subjective) on a film which I liked, however every movie released would have likes and dislikes and for some it might not be the Star Wars as we remember it, for others it would be a complete crap/rubbish, for third it might be an ok film, and for some peole like me it would be a well made film with the right tune towards the fans or anyone in the cinema watching it :)

My personal score is 8/10 (and I'll be getting the Blu Ray as soon as it hits the online retailers)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Glad you liked it (No, really.):tongueout

I pretty much laugh off being swatted down by certain Star Wars fans who adore it, as I am not a fan. 

That said, my tush will be at the theatre to see Rogue One (which I always been more interested in anyway.)

14 hours ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Glad you liked it (No, really.):tongueout

I pretty much laugh off being swatted down by certain Star Wars fans who adore it, as I am not a fan. 

That said, my tush will be at the theatre to see Rogue One (which I always been more interested in anyway.)

There are no spoilers in the following post.

Rogue One does sound interesting, I guess Disney are hoping they can release as many Star Wars films as Marvel related ones.

Finally got round to seeing the latest Star Wars adventure and overall I enjoyed the film. I think it may have benefited from a better story and director but it could have turned out much worse. I feel the people who deserve the most praise are the one's who designed the film and created the sets etc. The visuals are superb and like Fury Road it has the right balance of practical and CGI SFX. I don't wanna go into too many details regarding the film itself for those yet to watch it. You cant be too critical because this is a family adventure film at the end of the day. No matter how good this was going to be its never going to be like seeing the originals as a child.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
11 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Iko & Yayan trading cards...

Capture3.GIF

Capture4.GIF

That's more of Iko than we see in the film.  I wouldn't mind a spin off film about their clan and the Guavian Death club - if Gareth directs. 

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
On 1/5/2016 at 7:19 AM, DragonClaws said:

You cant be too critical because this is a family adventure film at the end of the day. No matter how good this was going to be its never going to be like seeing the originals as a child.

Too late on being too critical. :( And while  this is a family film, so many character beats, choices and sub plots made absolutely no sense. 

That's all I say about this film. 

I'm glad people dig it. 

5 hours ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Too late on being too critical. :( And while  this is a family film, so many character beats, choices and sub plots made absolutely no sense. 

That's all I say about this film. 

I'm glad people dig it. 

The writing and direction were the weakest part of the film and that's never a good thing. That said I did enjoy the film which I couldn't say about the prequels. After Attack Of The Clones I didn't even both going to see Revenge Of The Sith on the big screen.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
45 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I couldn't say about the prequels. After Attack Of The Clones I didn't even both going to see Revenge Of The Sith on the big screen.

Parts of Revenge of the Sith more than made up for the other two prequels. But I love Ewan's Obi-Wan anyway so I can forgive some of bad choices Lucas made. 

But now I'm like you, I probably won't bother with the subsequent two sequels to The Force Awakens and will watch what stand alone films I want (i.e. Rogue One.) 

1 minute ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Parts of Revenge of the Sith more than made up for the other two prequels. But I love Ewan's Obi-Wan anyway so I can forgive some of bad choices Lucas made. 

But now I'm like you, I probably won't bother with the subsequent two sequels to The Force Awakens and will watch what stand alone films I want (i.e. Rogue One.) 

Disney plan to make a Han Solo Origins film in the future too. Its great to see the series get revived but at the end of the day Disney didn't pay all that money for the rights for nothing. While the audience keeps turning up they will keeping feeding the demand. I'm sure some good stuff will come from this but after seeing the latest film I have my reservations.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm sure some good stuff will come from this but after seeing the latest film I have my reservations.

100% agreed.  

At the end of the day, I understand this just doesn't work for me and I'll leave it at that. Like superhero films, I will be very selective of what I see. That's my nature anyway. 

Has anyone tried to give the prequels another shot since their release? I was surprised how much I enjoyed them upon revisiting them recently. With that said, i liked them before, and was a child at the time of their release(s). 

The only real problem I have with the prequels are that they are unfocused in the plot. Most of the criticisms on the acting in particular are a little blown out of proportion in my view.. I mean, I'd hate to be the guy who has to play Anakin Skywalker decades after the original trilogy... As much as I'd love to, haha!

MacGregors Obi Wan is indeed awesome, as well as McDiarmids Palpatene.

As a huge SW fan I am 50/50 on Disneys plan for an annual Star Wars movie. They just want to soak it for all its worth, with that said, I like Star Wars more than Marvel comics. Id watch Phantom Menace 10 times before I watch Captain America 2 again. Anyway, like Lady Jin, I likely won't just go see every one that comes out. 

This board probably has the most negative reaction to TFA I have seen. That isn't a bad thing, I think most people are really overhyping it. It's good if you're a SW fan, but I'd say RotS is better, and I'd also say I personally enjoy Phantom Menace more.(I know no one will stand by me on that.)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
1 hour ago, paimeifist said:

Has anyone tried to give the prequels another shot since their release? I was surprised how much I enjoyed them upon revisiting them recently. With that said, i liked them before, and was a child at the time of their release(s). 

The only real problem I have with the prequels are that they are unfocused in the plot. Most of the criticisms on the acting in particular are a little blown out of proportion in my view.. I mean, I'd hate to be the guy who has to play Anakin Skywalker decades after the original trilogy... As much as I'd love to, haha!

MacGregors Obi Wan is indeed awesome, as well as McDiarmids Palpatene.

As a huge SW fan I am 50/50 on Disneys plan for an annual Star Wars movie. They just want to soak it for all its worth, with that said, I like Star Wars more than Marvel comics. Id watch Phantom Menace 10 times before I watch Captain America 2 again. Anyway, like Lady Jin, I likely won't just go see every one that comes out. 

This board probably has the most negative reaction to TFA I have seen. That isn't a bad thing, I think most people are really overhyping it. It's good if you're a SW fan, but I'd say RotS is better, and I'd also say I personally enjoy Phantom Menace more.(I know no one will stand by me on that.)

I have. Makes me miss George Lucas quite a bit. I still have my quibbles about the prequels, but there is a lot to enjoy (Along with Ewan, Christopher Lee says it all really.)  Although the Star Wars media I really miss is Dark Horse's comics (still so disappointed the awesome Dawn of the Jedi series was axed while the team were deep into the 4th volume.)

You have no idea how overhyped it is on TheForce.Net there are a few of us who are voicing our certain points of view on it, but hey, I cannot and will not bash someone because their opinion is different than mine (I'll tease a little but I expect this from the opposing sides too. Have fun and post a valid argument.)  I think it's great people enjoy TFA.  The whole Disney thing, none of us can change it, so like the super hero films, my preferences are well entrenched. See what I want and leave the rest.

And yeah I love Liam Nesson and Ray Park in The Phantom Menace. I thought Portman gave her best performance in the trilogy in TPM too, but that's me. 

The prequels are okay when people aren't talking.  :tongueout

But seriously though, the only one I had a real problem with was AotC.  The whole "I'm in pain" romance thing just didn't work for me.  At all.  And yes, the dialogue was especially atrocious in that movie.  TPM had highs and lows.  Darth Maul, of course, owns it. RotS was mostly quite good.  In all, I think if they would have tweaked things a bit, like stretched out Episode 3's story into two movies (thus getting rid of, or shortening stuff I didn't like in Ep 2), the prequels wouldn't be remembered so badly.

10 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Id watch Phantom Menace 10 times before I watch Captain America 2 again. Anyway, like Lady Jin, I likely won't just go see every one that comes out. 

Wow.  I'll give respect to TPM for it's positive elements, but I LOVE Cap 2 from beginning to end!  That's cool that you like it so much though.  I should revisit the prequels myself.  

TheGrimReaper

I've also revisited the rest 6 films from the franchise and I did tried a peculiar order found in some articles over the Net, which worked for me quite satisfying: IV -> V -> II -> III -> VI and afterwards I watched the Phantom Menace last as it was a spin-off about young Anakin Skywalker. It worked for me as a story arc developed in time and then some emotions from the original trilogy become much more strong and for me it was a whole new experience altogether.

And I was showing this to a person which had never seen any of the movies and he was quite happy as well, acquainting himslef with the lore and the universe of Star Wars. Another fan for the franchise - mission accomplished. We then went together to see The Force Awakens and he is now looking for all data possible on next episodes and the spin-off titles in production :)

I feel like Yoda, training padawans in becoming familiar with the Force - sounds interesting it is :)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
15 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

I LOVE Cap 2 from beginning to end!

And while I go back and forth on adoring this and saying okay, maybe 45x is too much... I do love it. I cannot wait for Civil War. 

Um, sorry to divert the conversation. I am glad that there are Star Wars films for every taste and that folks can enjoy all three trilogies. 

I agree with about everything you said about the prequels Yoda(lol). I acknowledge their flaws but I still greatly enjoy them, well, 1 and 3 at least. I need to watch 2 again, I fell asleep for much of it when I tried to rewatch it recently.

I have read about these unique "orders" to watch the movies in Reaper, it definitely looks interesting, but planning to watch all 6 movies always seems like such a daunting  task. It could take me long enough to where what order I watch them in doesn't matter.

Unacceptable Lady Jin, you are a devil and 

the prequels are amazing.

Oh and Cap 2 sucks!

On a serious note, just to clarify, I don't dislike Cap 2. It was a case of extreme overhyping that made me think it was more "pretty good" than the "great" most seem to see in it. The same thing happened with "The Dark Knight" for me, but I ended up appreciating that one more a few years later.

Archived