Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

teako170

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

And thanks to my karked up commute, I missed the ESPN special. :hvb_raging:

I actually caught the special thanks to this thread. USA came in 3rd place at the Kendo world championships in Japan. Hopefully they'll win it all in 2018, fingers crossed!!!

So anyone watched the movie yet? Excited or don't care? Personally I am over the hype one-two months ago, doesn't help when one friend is a total Star Wars freak and I get updates everyday. But I probably head off to the cinema in the later weeks, just before the cinemas stop showing the film, to watch it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hey guys for those that are interested in seeing our boys from the raid get any shine in the movie, don't be. it's like they're not even there. Don't let that discourage you since I heard the visuals are pretty damn good and the light saber duels are even better. You're not all at lost here, lol. If you're a star wars fan rest assured this is damn well better than the prequels so have at it at that,hahhaha.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Hey guys for those that are interested in seeing our boys from the raid get any shine in the movie, don't be. it's like they're not even there. Don't let that discourage you since I heard the visuals are pretty damn good and the light saber duels are even better. You're not all at lost here, lol. If you're a star wars fan rest assured this is damn well better than the prequels so have at it at that,hahhaha.

Thanks Opium... I heard they really weren't involved in much. Seeing it Friday morning. 

I wish to hell there was a Rogue One teaser attached. 

Am seeing this in a few hours....fingers crossed it's as good as everyone is saying it is.

Regardless, I look forward to reading everyone's spoiler-free thoughts on here once you've all seen it.

BTW, there is a Rogue One teaser out there...

Secret Executioner

Aren't the guys from The Raid supposed to be in Episode VIII rather than VII ? I'm pretty sure I read about them being in Rogue One (or whatever it's called) and not in TFA.  :thinking 

OpiumKungFuCracker

Heard from a friend that it's pretty average. Slightly better than the prequels. Seeing people line up early in the morning just for a movie is simply ridiculous. You don't see that kind of out pouring support at your election ballots for presidency or anything of that nature. I seriously can not wait for this thing to die down. I'm sick and tired of seeing it wherever I go, I don't need to see it when I'm buying groceries either. Fukk Star Wars. 

Secret Executioner

Heard from a friend that it's pretty average. Slightly better than the prequels. 

I've read several reviews that were lukewarm at best. I'm starting to fear SW is getting a treatment similar to Abrams' version of Star Trek. I swear I once saw a Beyond Darkness trailer and I couldn't have told it was a Star Trek movie if it weren't for some of the iconic shirts and Spock...

masterofoneinchpunch

I've read several reviews that were lukewarm at best. I'm starting to fear SW is getting a treatment similar to Abrams' version of Star Trek. I swear I once saw a Beyond Darkness trailer and I couldn't have told it was a Star Trek movie if it weren't for some of the iconic shirts and Spock...

Similar issue I had with Skyfall where it felt more like an action film than a Bond film.  I liked Beyond Darkness, but agree with you that it did not feel as much Trek as I liked with say Star Trek 2,3,4 and 6.  Now I'll save my opinion for this until I actually watch it.  I did not it got a very good review at ebert.com with their most well known writer (alive) Matt Zoller Seitz whose writing I like though not love.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Am seeing this in a few hours....fingers crossed it's as good as everyone is saying it is.

Regardless, I look forward to reading everyone's spoiler-free thoughts on here once you've all seen it.

BTW, there is a Rogue One teaser out there...

But not a "new" Rogue One teaser...

I want to see this team in action please. :tongueout  Just saying. 

I'm not huge of Star Trek but I know fans who are not keen on JJ Abrams style and what hes done to that franchise. I'm looking forward to this latest Star Wars film but I'm already getting fed up of the hype and how every advert on T.V appears to be linked to the new film.

I'd just like to thank the guy who managed to completely ruin my viewing experience of this by loudly talking about it to a random stranger as I walked to my screening.

The film itself?  Truthfully, it's OK - part shiny remake/remix of A New Hope/part passing of the torch to the next generation kinda deal - it's watchable but not much more.

Hope you guys get more out of it then I did.

Perhaps...it's not really aimed at me anymore...Star Wars is for a new crowd, not some grumpy middle-aged man...(sad R2 noise)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'm seeing it tomorrow morning and am glad my expectations are nil.

As far as hype

:hvb_chillout:

OpiumKungFuCracker

The movie looked better than the prequels but the story didn't really improve much. I believe episode VIII would be a lot better under Rian Johnson direction. Like someone said, I'm not the targeted demographic. The movie tried to be a fun space adventure while also trying to hit you with emotional punches and I wasn't really feeling it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

The relationship between the new characters felt so forced sometimes. I do like Kylo Ren though. I don't want to say too much, wait for everyone to see it so we can discuss spoils.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Well today's screening is a bust for me (home sick), so it is looking like Christmas with the family, no big loss.

I've read the spoilers and now can wait. 

Saw it today. Quite agree with some others' thoughts but I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Even children chattering away in nearby seats didn't spoil it. It reminded me more of the original trilogy than the prequels (I liked the prequels too) so I was quite happy with the experience.

• Administrator

Okay, well I got almost the same feeling watching this as I did as a kid watching the original back in 1977. It took me to a new, exciting, far-out universe full of adventure, passion, and cool creatures. I loved it! Definitely should be seen in the theater. :bigsmile:

And to those people spoiling plot elements on line (and in theater lobbies!)- shame on you! Please think of others instead of yourselves. Being thoughtful is FREE, so please do so.

I loved this film,far superior to the prequels and like many people my age(48) I was a kid again in the cinema.Great entertainment 

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Well, that was not for me.  When I walked out all I heard was Lo Pan saying "Empty... empty..."

And I'll politely leave it at that. Bring on Rogue One.

Similar issue I had with Skyfall where it felt more like an action film than a Bond film.  I liked Beyond Darkness, but agree with you that it did not feel as much Trek as I liked with say Star Trek 2,3,4 and 6.  Now I'll save my opinion for this until I actually watch it.  I did not it got a very good review at ebert.com with their most well known writer (alive) Matt Zoller Seitz whose writing I like though not love.

so...what's "Beyond Darkness"?  :tongueout

I saw this last night with my son (a surprise X-Mas gift for him) and I agree with most here. Despite them not doing much, just seeing Yayan and Iko in a Star Wars movie was great. I thought it was definitely on par with Episodes IV-VI in terms of tone. John Boyega cracked me up at times when he would freak out. Definitely some jaw-dropping moments...overall, a worthy installment...now looking forward to both Rogue One and Episode VIII

Archived