Yet another Police Woman alternative title ?

Secret Executioner

Secret Executioner

I have this film on a French Jackie Chan DVD set (with Fearless Hyena 2 and New Fist Of Fury), but while the other 2 have their usual English title mentionned in the credits on the package, the film called Le Jeune Tigre (literally: (The) Young Tiger) is listed with the strange title of Little Tiger From Canton - a title that isn't listed as a Police Woman alternative title on hkcinemagic - but the credits on the package show are those of Police Woman (AKA Young Tiger AKA Rumble In Hong Kong...).

Anybody heard of that one or did Metropolitan (who released this set) messed up and got a different movie ? And in case the movie was NOT the actual Police Woman, I could get it on this set here, right:

51FDG6CjdRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Police Woman (1973) [The Young Tiger] - fullscreen, dubbed

Not Scared to Die (1973) [Eagle Shadow Fist] - fullscreen, dubbed

Fantasy Mission Force (1983) - fullscreen, dubbed

Fantasy Mission Force (1983) [Fire Dragon] - review says it's a strange Fantasy Mission Force Godfrey Ho type slash/re-edit

The Cub Tiger from Kwangtung (1973) [Master With Cracked Fingers version]

Little Tiger From Canton is Jackie's first starring role - the film that was used to create Master With Cracked Fingers/Snake Fist Fighter. I can't say for sure if they messed up.

The set pictured in that quote is the one I have somewhere (someone bought it for me without knowing what it was) and the five films that are listed are the ones in the set.

Secret Executioner
Little Tiger From Canton is Jackie's first starring role - the film that was used to create Master With Cracked Fingers/Snake Fist Fighter. I can't say for sure if they messed up.

Originally had doubts, but I thought it was a title for another film. Compared the two on hkcinemagic and they are like apple and oranges - one is a Master/student/vengeance film set in unspecified time and place, while the other looks more like a modern-day gangster flick. And the artwork for the "Jeune Tigre" individual release appears in the Police Woman gallery:

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/gallery.asp?fid=4674&pid=&type=0&id=1841#pic

The set pictured in that quote is the one I have somewhere (someone bought it for me without knowing what it was) and the five films that are listed are the ones in the set.

That quote has to be reliable, it's from the Kung Fu Box Sets topic. :tongue:

And seeing how I'm gonna have (apparently) either Police Woman or Master With Cracked Fingers on my DVD, that set could allow me to get the other - among others. :tongue:

Secret Executioner

Just checked it out, and it's actually Police Woman (as was suspected from the start). The title card at the beginning of the movie even reads "Le Jeune Tigre (The Young Tiger)", so it's clearly a mistake.

On a sidenote, it's strange to have this promoted as a Jackie Chan film when he's merely a side-character (a henchman of the villain, a very unusual role for him BTW) - although he (already) delivers in terms of action.

the Japanese DVD for POLICE WOMAN (Mandarin Widescreen Print) has onscreen Title in English "Here Come Big Brother" if that wasn't mentioned here yet :neutral:

Secret Executioner
the Japanese DVD for POLICE WOMAN (Mandarin Widescreen Print) has onscreen Title in English "Here Come Big Brother" if that wasn't mentioned here yet :neutral:

Didn't mention it, but hkcinemagic has it listed.

Killer Meteor

Jackie's two Dai Di films were reissued in the late '70s. Not Scared to Die was renamed Eagle Shadow Fist and The Heroine (the film often referred to as Police Woman) was renamed The Young Tiger. Both had their credits altered to list Jackie as the star.

My UK tape of The Young Tiger is pretty funny. The cover art is from Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, and the plot description on the back lists Jackie as the lead, his character as being called Bruce Li, and the plot it describes is that for Eagle Shadow Fist!

Secret Executioner
Jackie's two Dai Di films were reissued in the late '70s. Not Scared to Die was renamed Eagle Shadow Fist and The Heroine (the film often referred to as Police Woman) was renamed The Young Tiger. Both had their credits altered to list Jackie as the star.

My copy of The Young Tiger has the same thing.

My UK tape of The Young Tiger is pretty funny. The cover art is from Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, and the plot description on the back lists Jackie as the lead, his character as being called Bruce Li, and the plot it describes is that for Eagle Shadow Fist!

Yeah, looks like it's not really faithful to the movie on the tape - but I guess that's not too unusual with MA movies. :tongue:

That quote has to be reliable, it's from the Kung Fu Box Sets topic. :tongue:

True, but I'm in Australia so the set could have been different to my own.

In regards to the films in that set, did you know that there are remastered versions of Master With Cracked Fingers and Fantasy Mission Force? I've never checked them out, but the idea of those films existing in a remastered state is at once astounding, hilarious and horrifying. :tongue:

Secret Executioner
True, but I'm in Australia so the set could have been different to my own.

True, it's a R1 set.

In regards to the films in that set, did you know that there are remastered versions of Master With Cracked Fingers and Fantasy Mission Force? I've never checked them out, but the idea of those films existing in a remastered state is at once astounding, hilarious and horrifying. :tongue:

Having not seen those, I couldn't tell. Guess one has to see those "remasters" though. :tongue:

Secret Executioner
Not a mistake. I have heard Police Woman/Rumble In Hong Kong using the title Young Tiger.

I meant the title they used on the package (Little Tiger From Canton) - The Young Tiger is indeed an accurate title for this film, as was previously said.

Secret Executioner
As far as I can tell The Heroine & Police Woman are not the same movie. The Heroine is a 1971 Lo Wei movie staring Cheng Pei-pei. Police Woman/Rumble In Hong Kong is a 1973 Mu Chu movie. Sounds like someone did a The Big Boss/Fist of Fury.

Was gonna say something about this, but I realized the film I was thinking of was actually just called Heroine (AKA A Girl With Skillful Hands, which sounds kinda kinky IMO) - it's a 1975 Taiwanese film by Yeung Jing Chan and starring Polly Shang-Kuan Ling Feng and Chang Yi, so nothing to do with either of these two.

Killer Meteor
As far as I can tell The Heroine & Police Woman are not the same movie. The Heroine is a 1971 Lo Wei movie staring Cheng Pei-pei. Police Woman/Rumble In Hong Kong is a 1973 Mu Chu movie. Sounds like someone did a The Big Boss/Fist of Fury.

I think that's an error from the autobiography, the one where "Jackie" says he played the sidekick of the heroine. Jeff Yang got all the films mixed up.

The Cheng Pei-Pei film is None But The Brave, released in the UK as Kung Fu Girl.

Here is a lobby card for Police Woman under the title The Heroine - http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/image_detail.mhtml?id=9544&image_id=176163&display_set=eng

Cognoscente

Here are more of those which haven't been posted on HKMDB yet.

118855527_3318088704949546_6345802107056614712_n.jpg.72fc182c7cbb4f1c6ba7105149ea3b23.jpg

118885999_3318088494949567_3489277224413911385_n.jpg.62ce31821152caee85ad8e79e16ce975.jpg

118839357_3318088308282919_8176459354716873572_n.jpg.3da0d9fd9c05f38de3c16a557d9b3173.jpg

118766507_3318087894949627_1981240352066632042_n.jpg.2a492904a0e26e4d0ea94f0ec107df44.jpg

118647997_3318087724949644_6358305755047008960_n.jpg.b51373a72f38b5dd10d5716208423bf7.jpg

118652444_3318088871616196_7812451389192815327_n.jpg.de05f3dac92cff0aba8b501481637067.jpg

A behind-the-scenes photo.

1010896_172797026230077_1209319988_n.jpg.28c531dc6fdbdc0315b434f8aa32ad4b.jpg

A promo page.

6495ff72469f420d9cf1bc33103cc75e_tplv-mlhdmxsy5m-q75_0_0.jpg.3c09a1c085244fdc42a68d22bb9cccd3.jpg

A newspaper that I found on Twitter.

Eh8ka0XVoAIXqE7.jpg.6278b66d4eb1e34daf932c0e31991f93.jpg

As for Jeff Yang's book, I found another inconsistency. When talking about Jackie having to brush up on his English for The Big Brawl, Jackie is quoted as saying: "I hadn't been in a classroom since I was twelve years old."

But earlier on in the book, it's mentioned that Jackie attended an English class during his time in Australia in the mid-seventies.

• Like 2