Lupin III (2014) - Directed by Ryuhei Kitamura

AlbertV

k125KoCwbU0

The teaser trailer for Ryuhei Kitamura's adaptation of the classic manga and anime Lupin III has finally arrived.

Shun Oguri (AZUMI & AZUMI 2) plays the titular master thief with Tadanobu Asano (ICHI THE KILLER, the THOR films) as Inspector Zenigata, who goes on a worldwide hunt for the master criminal. Meisa Kuroki plays Fujiko, F4 member Jerry Yan as Michael Lee, Thai actor Nirut Sirichanya (NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER 2, THE HANGOVER PART II, ONG BAK 2) as Pramuk, Ayano Go (GATCHAMAN) as Goemon.

LUPIN III is coming to Japanese theaters on August 30.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doctor Schnabel von Rom

looks great! finally kitamura is back with a real beauty! And i am sure he had more controll about this project then in his last american movie with luke shaw or something like that.

Hah, I think his American movie with luke shaw or something like that is the best thing he has done since Versus (*) :tongue:

This Lupin III movie looks scary to me. How many models and pretty boys are there?

* Loved Azumi and wanted to marry Aya Ueto when I was a teenager. Now I'm afraid to ever watch it again and destroy the nostalgic memories. Tried re-watching the sequel last year and it was painful... :cry:

Doctor Schnabel von Rom
Hah, I think his American movie with luke shaw or something like that is the best thing he has done since Versus (*) :tongue:

This Lupin III movie looks scary to me. How many models and pretty boys are there?

* Loved Azumi and wanted to marry Aya Ueto when I was a teenager. Now I'm afraid to ever watch it again and destroy the nostalgic memories. Tried re-watching the sequel last year and it was painful... :cry:

I liked as example the midnight meat train (i know the short story by clive barker as well) a much more then no one lives. in the last movie i didn't see a lot of kitamuras properties.

he doesn't liked the way he did the movie too, see interview:

Shock: How would you compare your second American feature experience to your first one? Not just in terms of working with the crew, but your own creative growth as well?

Kitamura: I didn’t have any problem making Midnight Meat Train. It was pure fun. But making No One Lives was a pure nightmare. I don’t want to talk about what happened – but [it was] all kinds of bullshit and trouble attacked us. It was the worst experience in my career.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/173855-shock-interview-ryuhei-kitamura-gets-honest-about-no-one-lives/

Godzilla Final wars, azumi and of coure lovedeath were great movies too

Secret Executioner

The guy who made/is making Lupin III also directed Godzilla: Final Wars ?! I often find copies of Azumi, never considered giving it a chance.

I might try and give the live-action Lupin III a chance, if it has a theatrical release over here.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom
The guy who made/is making Lupin III also directed Godzilla: Final Wars ?! I often find copies of Azumi, never considered giving it a chance.

I might try and give the live-action Lupin III a chance, if it has a theatrical release over here.

yes, director Ryûhei Kitamura

Versus (2000)

Alive (2002)

Aragami (2003)

Azumi (2003)

Sky High (2003)

Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

LoveDeath (2006) No official englisch subtitled version:-(

Midnight Meat Train (2008)

No One Lives (2012)

To be honest, Versus is the only Kitamura movie I really liked. Hated LoveDeath and Sky High. Didn't care much for Godzilla Final Wars or Alive either. Midnight Meat Train and Aragmi were ok, and No One Lives pretty good. And then there's Azumi which I'm afraid to rewatch :wink:

Secret Executioner
yes, director Ryûhei Kitamura

Versus (2000)

Alive (2002)

Aragami (2003)

Azumi (2003)

Sky High (2003)

Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

LoveDeath (2006) No official englisch subtitled version:-(

Midnight Meat Train (2008)

No One Lives (2012)

Actually, I have 2 films by Kitamura: Aragami and Godzilla: Final Wars. :nerd:

That's a shame, OAB.

Was looking forward to this, but the chorus of poor reviews is deafening.

I wonder, has Kitamura lost his touch?

One Armed Boxer
I wonder, has Kitamura lost his touch?

At this point in his career I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to consider that 'Versus' was a fluke, and most of its success should actualy be attributed to fight choreographer and director of 'Death Trance' Yuji Shimomura. Apart from 'Versus' and 'Aragami', both made on a low budget and both existing within the same universe, I've yet to thoroughly enjoy any of his other efforts. 'Lupin the Third' was just watered down crap.

At this point in his career I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to consider that 'Versus' was a fluke, and most of its success should actualy be attributed to fight choreographer and director of 'Death Trance' Yuji Shimomura. Apart from 'Versus' and 'Aragami', both made on a low budget and both existing within the same universe, I've yet to thoroughly enjoy any of his other efforts. 'Lupin the Third' was just watered down crap.

I think that sounds totally plausible.

Versus was fantastic and since then it's been diminshing returns.

Oddly enough, I thought the film was quite passable. I caught it during a 10 hour flight and needed something not too boring but also not too good (to be raped under those viewing conditions) and for that the film did its job alright.

Again to my surprise, I though the cast was pretty good. The trailer made it look awful, but in the film the manga/anime style acting was rather fit. The English language was a bit of a problem like Boxer says, but I wouldn't say it ruined it as I was never going to take the film one bit serious anyway. It just made it more stupid than it already was. And I don't think it was 90% in English, I think 70% would've been closer.

Action was passable, too. Nothing to remember, but not painful either. And oddly enough, for the first time in my life I though Meisa Kuroki was hot :tongue:

Perhaps my extremely low expectations also helped, as I never exepected the film to be anything more than a disaster, but I thought it was pretty watchable overall. In fact, I enjoyed it more than The Thieves, although that's not saying much.

Rating: 2.5/5 (or 5/10)

One Armed Boxer
Oddly enough, I thought the film was quite passable. I caught it during a 10 hour flight and needed something not too boring but also not too good (to be raped under those viewing conditions) and for that the film did its job alright.

I watched it as part of a 14 hour flight, so maybe that's the problem...those extra 4 hours make all the difference!:tongue:

Action was passable, too. Nothing to remember, but not painful either. And oddly enough, for the first time in my life I though Meisa Kuroki was hot :tongue:

Man, Meisa Kuroki is always hot, what has she ever been in were she wasn't!? She & Shinohara Ryoko were always my favorite Japanese actresses who are active in the industry based on looks alone.

Man, Meisa Kuroki is always hot, what has she ever been in were she wasn't!? She & Shinohara Ryoko were always my favorite Japanese actresses who are active in the industry based on looks alone.

She's more of the beautiful type (which I don't usually care for) than the kawaii type which I prefer.

And I thought her musical contributions on the Crows Zero soundtracks were misplaced.

Would that, btw, make you the second person in the world (after me) who likes Assault Girls?

One Armed Boxer
Would that, btw, make you the second person in the world (after me) who likes Assault Girls?

No further comment. Please cease and desist this line of questioning. As a moderator I demand this thread be brought back on topic.:tongue:

I'm actually a Lupin the Third fan. I haven't seen this movie though, but I've always wanted to see it. Shame to here that it isn't very good. Oh well, I'm probably going to watch this movie regardless for the sake of being a completist.

My favorite Lupin III movie is still Castle of Cagliostro. It's not my favorite Hayao Miyazaki movie, but it is the movie of his that I've seen the most times. This movie's a whole lot of fun.

May have to check the Hong Kong blu out. I love Azumi and Godzilla: Final Wars (yes, love Final Wars!) That trailer looks great!

Archived