The Martial Arts Kid (2015) - New Cynthia Rothrock & Don 'The Dragon' Wilson Movie

mpm74

kingofkungfu2002
But it looks like they rushed it for the comic-con.

As I've reiterated numerous times, but for some reason some people don't understand.

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't watch trailers for movies until after I've seen the movie. I'm just weird like that. But I know that The Martial Arts Kid 2 will be amazing. I'm also looking forward to The Martial Arts Kid 3, but it's too soon to speculate on that one.

Here's the bottom line...okay, if you want Wilson and Rothrock in full-blooded action, just wait for WHITE TIGER okay? Even better, they will face each other off in that one.

With THE MARTIAL ARTS KID, both Wilson and Rothrock consider it "a personal project" because they want to bring out the anti-bullying message that conveys with martial arts. Martial arts is NOT about bullying or seeing who is better. It is about self-discipline and bringing self-confidence. From what I can understand about the plot, Robbie already goes through loads of issues and the bullying by Bo just makes things worse. So he learns martial arts and while he eventually must confront Bo, I'm guessing they also make Robbie a better person.

Quite frankly, I'm glad to be seeing martial arts films go in this direction. They don't always have to be full-blooded with people always getting killed. I would personally love to do a double feature next year with this film and Phillip Rhee's UNDERDOG KIDS to showcase martial arts films geared towards families.

Looks much better than the first teaser. The action seems promising, the acting bearable and I like the KARATE KID-reference with the polishing of the car.

One Armed Boxer
2nd trailer is out. Lookin much better!

Agreed that's a big improvement, but one question - Why does "The star of 'Paranormal Activity 4'" receive first billing!?:tongue:

Yep, this still looks terrible. Although, it's obviously not aimed at me. I won't ever see it, but it's nice to see a modern martial arts film that kids can enjoy.

Depends how shallow you are I guess.

The bottom line: It’s not Bloodfist. It’s not China O’Brien. It’s a movie aimed at young adults with (and I hate to say it) a message. With that context in mind, you have to accept it for what it is. If you don’t want to watch it, that’s fine. If you want to watch it for a good laugh, that’s even better. And if you want to watch it because you admire the team behind it, then that's an awesome attitude!

Hey, at least it’s not some PG-13 action flick claiming to "do better" than The Raid.

With that said, I want to see both Rothrock and Wilson kill and kill again like James f*cking Ryan! They have a string of films coming out, and I'm sure we'll get that chance.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

We don't get enough of these types of movies with a message at heart. Everything is about art and all this other crap and trying to push the boundaries of cinemas and shit and it's nice and all but every once in awhile some films need messages.Bullying is a serious serious issue and kids have to deal with this going on in school today. The acting might not be good or whatever and the story has been done a gazillion time but we need to address bullying. Like seriously, I can't believe this is even an issue?

I'm pretty sure the martial arts kid will be lots more entertaining than say, "Interstellar?" Man did that movie stunk!!

That's funny you say that. I was about to use that exact line. lol Only I stopped myself because I hadn't seen Interstellar yet.

The kid looks like he can be alright, but Don The Dragon Wilson was one of the worst screen fighters ever when he was younger. I doubt he got better. Slow and low intensity choreography just doesn't cut it anymore.

James Lew, who was the film's martial arts choreographer, trained Jansen Panettiere for the film. Thankfully, Jansen has a gymnastics background and as you saw in the trailer, he flips likes it's nothing. So I think that is a big plus, in addition to a lot of the supporting stars having martial arts backgrounds.

kingofkungfu2002

People who have been through bullying will probably have a greater appreciation of the movie than those that haven't.

Personally I require a bit more substance in a movie these days, rather than just a load of endless fight scenes. Hence why I'm considering ditching my old school movie collection...They just do nothing for me anymore :squigglemouth:

People who have been through bullying will probably have a greater appreciation of the movie than those that haven't.

Personally I require a bit more substance in a movie these days, rather than just a load of endless fight scenes. Hence why I'm considering ditching my old school movie collection...They just do nothing for me anymore :squigglemouth:

I doubt a film like this will have any more substance than an old school kung fu film. Sure, it has a message but so do countless other martial arts films over the years.

kingofkungfu2002
I doubt a film like this will have any more substance than an old school kung fu film. Sure, it has a message but so do countless other martial arts films over the years.

I wouldn't really call 'I must revenge my teacher...family...etc etc' substantial.

I wouldn't really call 'I must revenge my teacher...family...etc etc' substantial.

I wouldn't call a cheesy "Karate Kid" homage coupled with a "Don't bully, kids!" message substantial either.

kingofkungfu2002
I wouldn't call a cheesy "Karate Kid" homage coupled with a "Don't bully, kids!" message substantial either.

That's okay, different strokes for different folks.

kingofkungfu2002

All I'll say is, even if it helps and inspires maybe just one person who may be going through similar issues, then it has served it's purpose :smile: