The Martial Arts Kid (2015) - New Cynthia Rothrock & Don 'The Dragon' Wilson Movie

mpm74

This is what the "Karate Kid" remake should have been like, not the crappy one starring Will Smiths kid.....I am rooting for this one myself:)

I agree...as much as I appreciate Jackie Chan as Mr. Han, it shouldn't have been used as a launchpad for Jaden Smith.

However, THE MARTIAL ARTS KID looks good. It is more grounded thanks to James Lew's fight choreography. Has a great cast of martial artists. Aside from Don Wilson and Cynthia Rothrock, TJ Storm plays the bully's sensei, Matthew Ziff (who plays the bully) is a 2nd degree black belt in taekwondo; while Jansen Panettiere isn't a martial artist, he does have a gymnastics background, which helps.

I personally am looking forward to this one.

unlike dog turds like that low budget Gina Carano flick that look like it was shot on a Sperm cam.

Yeah. Wtf was up with the camera in that movie seriously? Was like some grainy underwater shark week footage with a carnival mirror lense

However, THE MARTIAL ARTS KID looks good. It is more grounded thanks to James Lew's fight choreography.

In what universe does this ultra cheapo look good or even just promising? The stars either look way beyond their prime or like untalented kids (actingwise). The 90s were filled with lackluster movies starring good martial artists who were wasted on shitty scripts and lousy choreographies. This one looks like an even cheaper rehash of these movies. If I remember correctly there even was already a KARATE KID-wannabe with Don Wilson.

kingofkungfu2002

Instead of bitching about a movie that isn't even finished, you could always try doing something radical...Like not watching it then.

Just a thought :neutral:

In what universe does this ultra cheapo look good or even just promising? The stars either look way beyond their prime or like untalented kids (actingwise). The 90s were filled with lackluster movies starring good martial artists who were wasted on shitty scripts and lousy choreographies. This one looks like an even cheaper rehash of these movies. If I remember correctly there even was already a KARATE KID-wannabe with Don Wilson.

Instead of bitching about a movie that isn't even finished, you could always try doing something radical...Like not watching it then.

Yes, and just to be on the safe side we also could just quit discussing opposing views in a discussion forum. Pure genius!

OpiumKungFuCracker
This is what the "Karate Kid" remake should have been like, not the crappy one starring Will Smiths kid.....I am rooting for this one myself:)

100% agree on this. Fuck the Karate Kid remake. Fucking dog shit of a movie with some pussy ass kid's gang as your antagonist??

I agree...as much as I appreciate Jackie Chan as Mr. Han, it shouldn't have been used as a launchpad for Jaden Smith.

However, THE MARTIAL ARTS KID looks good. It is more grounded thanks to James Lew's fight choreography. Has a great cast of martial artists. Aside from Don Wilson and Cynthia Rothrock, TJ Storm plays the bully's sensei, Matthew Ziff (who plays the bully) is a 2nd degree black belt in taekwondo; while Jansen Panettiere isn't a martial artist, he does have a gymnastics background, which helps.

I personally am looking forward to this one.

I am too!!

Just a thought :neutral:

I have hope, kami might enjoy this.

Yes, and just to be on the safe side we also could just quit discussing opposing views in a discussion forum. Pure genius!

Oh kami, now you know that's not how things work here, lol. Give it a shot kami and please let us know what you think of the film when you see it. Your same emotional reaction to this movie is the same as how I feel after watching 'Revenge Of the Green Dragons.'

OpiumKungFuCracker

kami, reasons why the trailer didn't appeal to you:

1. production value very low

2. two veteran action stars way past their prime

If those are the only two complaints you see in the trailer, that's not that bad. You didn't say anything about the story or the acting so that's a plus? Or how about the Martial Arts kid himself? He may even surprise you a little bit. Boy I really can't wait for Kami's input on this. I think I am more anticipated in Kami's response than I am in the movie itself, SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THE INTERNET!!!!

kingofkungfu2002

ill-informed views.

Elemental Fist
Fuck the Karate Kid remake. Fucking dog shit of a movie with some pussy ass kid's gang as your antagonist??

I'm sorry but I have to STRONGLY disagree with this statement, the movie wasn't as good as the original but it was not dogsh*t either. It was a decent remake for the most part in my opinion with some decent performance in it including a great performance by Jackie Chan himself.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I'm sorry but I have to STRONGLY disagree with this statement, the movie wasn't as good as the original but it was not dogsh*t either. It was a decent remake for the most part in my opinion with some decent performance in it including a great performance by Jackie Chan himself.

Dude I love Jackie Chan but that one scene when Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan were crying in the car?? Cringe-worthy, I couldn't sit still as I wanted to kick the seat in front of me but couldn't because there was children present at the screening. I guess cause I'm an adult and the remake was geared more towards kids, which I can respect that.

kingofkungfu2002

I repeat...The trailer is a hastily released promo trailer for Comic Con. It's still all in post-production.

And seeing as I helped back the movie with my own cash, followed the production of the movie closely, and am in contact with Cynthia herself, then I think I'm in a better position to talk than you :wink:

And to call them 'past their prime' is extremely disrespectful, especially when you consider that they're probably still in better shape than you'll ever be.

Like I say, if I don't like the look/sound of something then I don't watch/listen to it. It's that simple.

In the meantime. I'll just sit and look forward to receiving my signed dvd, poster etc :nerd:

And I guess we rely on your marvellous albeit slightly biased opinion to see which of our views are ill-informed?

I repeat...The trailer is a hastily released promo trailer for Comic Con. It's still all in post-production.

And seeing as I helped back the movie with my own cash, followed the production of the movie closely, and am in contact with Cynthia herself, then I think I'm in a better position to talk than you :

Like I said, the fact that you invested in the movie makes your opinion biased and not necessarily trustworthy. Of course you want the movie to succeed and I don't blame you for it, but I am emotionally unattached to the project and able to see the trailer just for what it is: Not exactly promising. If the final movie turns out to be much better than I am happy for you and the people behind the project.

BTW, you should sometimes check you manners, it's not exactly polite to implicitly accuse someone you don't know of watching bootlegs or of being out of shape.

kingofkungfu2002
BTW, you should sometimes check you manners, it's not exactly polite to implicitly accuse someone you don't know of watching bootlegs or of being out of shape.

Or to call someone over the hill :angel:

Elemental Fist
Dude I love Jackie Chan but that one scene when Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan were crying in the car?? Cringe-worthy, I couldn't sit still as I wanted to kick the seat in front of me but couldn't because there was children present at the screening. I guess cause I'm an adult and the remake was geared more towards kids, which I can respect that.

Well, I'm an adult too and I didn't find that scene cringe worthy. I guess I liked it because everyone expected a train wreck, only to find it as a decent remake, way better than Karate Kid 3 (which is a guilty pleasure of mine) and the Next Karate Kid.

Different strokes for different folks.

Come back when you're approaching 60, and yet still look this good.

Why should I? I don't make my money with acting (if you want to call what Wilson and Rothrock do acting).

"Hey, you two... GET TO WORK!"

I contributed to this movie as well.

Trust me, I could give a rat’s ass about a an action movie with a message. Of course, we all want to see Wilson and Rothrock KILL and GET BLOODY in an R-Rated flick, but as far as this Martial Arts Kid, I’m accepting it for what it is.

Hopefully, the more profit a film like this makes, the better chance we can see future R-rated flicks from them. I’d like to see Wilson release a lot more movies, so I thought I’d help kickstart MAK, which is one of his first projects.

The trailer did look a little lame. But it is an early trailer (the Revenge of the Green Dragons teaser trailer looked just as bland; the newest trailer makes it look more like a movie).

Trust me, I could give a rat’s ass about a an action movie with a message. Of course, we all want to see Wilson and Rothrock KILL and GET BLOODY in an R-Rated flick, but as far as this Martial Arts Kid, I’m accepting it for what it is.

And I can understand that. But are you thrilled with what the trailer has to offer? And I am a little suspicious of the message of the film, too. Martial arts against bullying?

And I can understand that. But are you thrilled with what the trailer has to offer? And I am a little suspicious of the message of the film, too. Martial arts against bullying?

Not thrilled with that trailer. But it looks like they rushed it for the comic-con.