A Hard Day (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Director Kim Seong-hoon's thriller will be hitting Korean screens next month, as well as being selected for screening at Cannes. The darkly comic tale of a detective who, on the way back from his mother's funeral accidentally kills a man by running him over, and proceeds to attempt to cover it up by hiding the victims body in his mother's coffin, along with her body, it looks like this could be a fun ride. Check out the trailer below -

H5ZEZ-U-asc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
Any news on when this is hitting bluray or even a theatrical release?

It only got a domestic theatrical release in Korea on 29th May, less than a month ago, so it won't be hitting Blu-ray anytime in the immediate future. I doubt it'll get a theatrical release in the US, but the Korean home video release is usually a few months after the theatrical run ends, so maybe around October.

I saw this at the New York Korean Film Festival. Starts off very well. With a mix of comedy and suspense. 2nd half of the film got more serious and a bit predictable. Still some really nice performances and overall was a fun watch. 7 of 10.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I saw this as well, with a really badly subbed copy from China. I am ambivalent, while the story moves along ok, the idea of a cop getting away with stuff just doesn't appeal, considering that we had one that beat up a woman with a bat and got house arrest in our area. Oh, and they shoot people all the time and get away with it as well.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Holy shit, this is the Korean answer to the Coen brothers or at least tried to. I love this sort of black comedy type Korean films. This one had me laughing throughout, well check back again with a somewhat review of mine.

OpiumKungFuCracker

This was a fun ride. I love all the twist and turns and when it's at a complete stop I enjoyed what I saw on screen. Now the movie doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything and the score isn't that memorable but all that nitpicking aside, the comedy in it is what I enjoy in the movie the most. I'd give it an 8/10 as well.

One Armed Boxer
Any news on when this is hitting bluray or even a theatrical release?

Kino Lorber have picked this up for US distribution, announcing that it'll get a limited theatrical release in the summer, followed by a DVD release in autumn. No set dates have been locked in yet, but good news for those of us stateside!

One Armed Boxer

Just got through watching this one last night, and it's easy to see why it was picked up for US distribution. Great concept, killer script, plenty of laugh out loud black comedy throughout, a villain who you love to hate, and a protagonist who, despite it not necessarily being the right thing, you're really rooting for to get away with his misdemeanor.

Being a big fan of Korean cinema, it was also great to see lead actor Lee Seon-gyoon in something other than a Hong Sang-soo movie!

Definitely recommended, I echo everything OKFC said. Bless your heart!

Archived