Live (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

'Machine Girl' and 'Dead Sushi' director Noboru Iguchi is back with a movie that looks like a cross between 'Death Race 2000' and 'Battle Royale', as a group of unsuspecting civilians have to race against each other to save a loved one. Well, at least a race on foot makes a change from the underground fighting tournament formula.:tongue:

While it's nice to see something a little different from Iguchi other than the usual splatter effects coupled with cringe worthy CGI that embodies most of his recent work, we'll see how this turns out. The trailer is below, and as with all Japanese trailers, it's completely ruined towards the end by the inclusion of a generic J-pop song.

a8rDhMQWfw0

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a postmodern take on the hugely popular Yusuke Yamada mystery/survival novels (e.g. Real onigokko), with a few dozen people forced to play a deadly running game. They need to find clues and instructions by reading the Yamada novel Live. If they fail, their family members will be killed on live video stream.

Dark topic, but this being Iguchi, it doesn't take long before the competitors are ordered to run through the women's locker room. Plenty of panty shots throughout the film. It turns semi-splatter when assassins (rollerblade girls in bikinis) are sent after the competitors. Unfortunately nearly all of it is lame CGI blood. Some deaths are nasty enough to have earned the film R-15 rating (which is high by Japanese standards which allow plenty of bloodshed and decapitations with PG-12).

The main cast consists of instantly forgettable pretty youngsters, but the supporting runners include some more charismatic faces like Kanji Tsuda (really funny), bushido man Mitsuki Koga (no martial arts here) and Asami (manic over-acting mode again).

The mystery storyline is ok, keeps the attention somewhat. Drama scenes are pretty wooden.

igu1_zps06804df2.jpg

igu2_zpsb6ed057b.jpg

From the left: a guy whose name I forgot, Takashi Nishina, Asami, Kanji Tsuda, Noboru Iguchi

Speaking of Yusuke Yamada adaptations, I'm very interested in Eisuke Naito's ( Let's Make the Teacher Have a Miscarriage Club) Puzzle (2014), which was released a while ago...

NpWJ5rCzjWk

puzzle_zps21ba99e5.jpg

Oh and I should add that although I'm not the biggest fan of Iguchi's movies, I'm a huge fan of the man himself. I've talked with him twice and he's like the nicest guy on the planet, always treats strangers like his close friends. And he's a terrific live performer - actually funnier than his movies!

So, although I have my gripes with his films, I like to support the man. If you have a chance to see him live, don't miss it.

dMh_dbWhRUw

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Thanks for the insights into the film gents.

Takuma, I remember you speaking highly of Iguchi in the past as well. I'll remember that if the opportunity ever presents itself to meet him.

The Japan Times review:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2014/05/01/films/film-reviews/live/#.U2UkDKIxiOk

I quite agree, except that the review doesn't mention nearly all of the blood is D-grade CGI.

I've been thinking recently, does everyone else just love CGI blood? I constantly see reviewers praising an action or splatter film, and then when I get to see the film it's full of awful CGI that no one mentioned about... :squigglemouth:

One Armed Boxer
I've been thinking recently, does everyone else just love CGI blood? I constantly see reviewers praising an action or splatter film, and then when I get to see the film it's full of awful CGI that no one mentioned about... :squigglemouth:

I definitely don't think the general consensus is that CGI blood is better than practical effects. When done well, CGI blood can look good, but there are very few examples to choose from - 'The Raid 1 & 2' & 'Ninja Assassin' are the only ones that spring immediately to mind - that it's difficult to build a case for.

Japanese cinema in particular is probably the worse offender of ultra low quality CGI blood. From the endless low budget splatter pics that started off so promisingly with 'Machine Girl' back in 2008, things went downhill almost immediately. These types of quickly strung together attempts at movie making are almost always guilty of using effects that would barely be considered watchable anywhere else.

However even before '08, Takeshi Kitano's 2003 re-imagining of 'Zatoichi' used CGI blood in such a way that it actually distracted from what was potentially a really good movie.

I posted a thread covering the subject of CGI blood (in Asian movies specifically) here....a whole 5 years ago! -

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8631

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

expected more of the movie - compared to his other movies less violent, more cheap and majority very cheap cgi effects.

the story had great potential, but he didn't used it. a pity. not worth to be bought.

watched the movie last week at the nifff (neuchatel international fantasy film fest) and met director Noboru Iguchi and get some autographes, see link with pics (scroll down): http://home.datacomm.ch/mpaa/nifff_2014.htm

Doctor Schnabel von Rom
:yociexpress01:

He's a super nice guy. I wish his movies were as nice :tongue:

he seem to be a litte bit crazy but sympathetic;-) he had joy about a young, crazy swiss fan who ask him for autographes and a pic:bigsmile:

Archived