Yakuza Apocalypse (Takashi Miike, 2015)

Takuma

Second trailer:

Oumd_pLPADQ

haha, they actually quoted The Hollywood Reporter in the trailer.

Trailer quote: "過激派監督三池崇史が大暴れ - The Hollywood Reporter" ("extremist Takashi Miike goes crazy" - The Hollywood Reporter)

Original review: "Prolific Japanese genre extremist Takashi Miike goes crazy with vampires, gangsters, martial arts mayhem, earthquakes, volcanoes and frog monsters. Whatever. "

:tongue:

I'll be seeing the film in one week!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
I'll be seeing the film in one week!

Looks good, and I would go see this based on the last 2 seconds of the trailer alone.:tongue:

Looking forward to your review/thoughts. I'm very intrigued by the trailer. The MA looks good from what I can tell.

I saw the film today. It's not bad, though not really great either.

First things first, most fears about the pg-12 rating turned out futile. There's no CGI blood that my eye could catch in it, in fact there's little CGI at all with Miike even using miniatures in one scene. Great! It's moderately violent but not super violent. Think of modern BBFC 15 rating or medium R-rating for USA.

The lack of ultra-violence is nevertheless a bit of a problem. This 120 minutes of strange characters, strange twists, and just plain strangeness. There's a even a kappa in the film. But Miike's been doing this kind of stuff for 20 years, and so have many others, only this one lacks the perverse violence and sexuality. You can't help but to feel this is a bit of a Miike-lite.

But, it does have its insanely catchy moments. Most of them relate to Kaeru-kun, a mad karate killer walking around in over-sized frog suit. The actor inside is Masanori Mimoto (Bushido Man, Alien vs. Ninja, Torakage) who demonstrates some of his best martial arts. Of course we also have Yayan Ruhian, though sadly he never fights Mimoto. In fact, it's a bit disappointing that neither actor is given good opponents so the fights tend to be pretty one-sided. Think of it as Miike mayhem with martial arts thrown in rather than a martial arts actioner.

Hayato Ichihara is better than expected in the lead role, but I still don't understand why he was chosen to play the lead role instead of some real badass. His fighting is ok; more like Crows Zero style punching and fist fighting than Mimoto or Yayan's roundhouse kicks and other cool moves. The final battle between Yayan and Ichihara is kinda cool, though extremely simple.

Story-wise it's a bit all over the place. There are many interesting scenarios and characters that aren't really developed, for example townspeople becoming vampires with yakuza attitude. Many of these get too much screen time to be just a bizarre curiosity, but not enough to live up to their full potential. The entire film should probably be 30 min shorter and feature less characters.

But, it's a pretty entertaining two hours with some awesome moments, just not as badass as it could be. Visually solid too, and with nice sets.

11430180_1112873888728272_5154014705997886274_n.jpg

ShaOW!linDude

Hmmm, now I'm feeling iffy. Hoping this hits Netflix so I can view prior to dropping money on it. It always miffs me when folks don't take advantage of the talent in their cast.

One Armed Boxer

The film is already available on AT&T U-Verse on Demand as one of their early releases. I'm thinking about checking it out this weekend since I have U-Verse at home. 

Archived