Police Story 2013 (aka Police Story: Lockdown) (2013)

Drunken Monk

I posted my mini-review somewhere about this film somewhere. Not sure if it was in this thread or when we were between web sites. So, sorry if I am repeating myself. But, I did not like the film. And, it is the only time that I can honestly say that I hated the fight choreography that JC did for this film. The behind-the-scenes doc says that JC did not want to do any fight scenes in the movie and that the only reason they were in there was because of pressure. Well, it really shows! The fights in this movie could have been directed by anyone; that is how bad they are. The only positive thing that I can say about this movie is that JC can be a good dramatic actor when he wants to be. 

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Looking back at the past two decades, Jackie should have spent more time on doing Project A sequels. He took the Police Story concept as far as it could go with Super Cop and First Strike, but there was so much potential with the Project A franchise. It could have been his Pirates of the Caribbean.

• Like 3

Plain awful. Overlong, plodding, far fetched plot. The final third suddenly becomes a rashomon styled story and then the climax is an actual end fight between one guy who wants to kill himself and the other having wanted to kill himself a minute earlier on an active traintracks. Before we get there we get a lot of backstory told through boring flashbacks. This is probably the most talkative Jackie Chan film ever.

• Like 2

FightingFool

For "later era" JC movie I thought this was good. Not going to watch it again, once is enough. Plot was addictive. For action it does not deliver but quite solid thriller it is.

• Like 3

Weird I don’t think I posted my police story 2013 review in here. It should have been in the last watched modern MA movie thread

• Like 2

FightingFool
7 hours ago, WangYu said:

Weird I don’t think I posted my police story 2013 review in here. It should have been in the last watched modern MA movie thread

Moderators seem sometimes move post into another(equally fit or even better suited) section.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2021 at 2:13 AM, FightingFool said:

For "later era" JC movie I thought this was good. Not going to watch it again, once is enough. Plot was addictive. For action it does not deliver but quite solid thriller it is.

Yeah, put me in the "I did not hate it" camp. I thought it was decent for what it was.

My original review:

Police Story 2013 - I actually enjoyed this new entry in the "Jackie Chan goes for the drama" series. I think that "Crime Story 2013" would've been a better title than "Police Story 2013", although the Cantonese title of Crime Story denotes a division of the HK Police Department that may not exist on the Mainland. Oh well. I went in with low expectations for the action and was pleasantly surprised with the nice, brutal cage fight with Jackie Chan pulling a Donnie Yen and busting out the ground fighting (nevermind his badmouthing MMA several years before). The final twists were nice, especially once everybody is rounded up at the same place, although the last shot was unnecessary (IMO).

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2