Police Story 2013 (aka Police Story: Lockdown) (2013)

Drunken Monk

finally got round to watching this....

and thought it was superb, I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it, a well made thriller, some of the fight-action is a bit ho-hum but this was the 1st Chan flik that was so strong that it could have done without ANY fight scenes...

respect due JC

Enjoy?? What really amazes me is that people are willing to watch complete films like this online in this rubbish quality! HK DVD/BD is out by the way, incase y'all didn't notice.

What really amazes me is that people are willing to watch complete films like this online in this rubbish quality!

Beat me to it.

One Armed Boxer
Enjoy?? What really amazes me is that people are willing to watch complete films like this online in this rubbish quality! HK DVD/BD is out by the way, incase y'all didn't notice.

I tend to agree with this point, as a forum of movie fans I don't think we should really be creating threads which are there purely to encourage watching a pirated version of a brand new movie which has a readily available DVD release. Just my 2 cents.

I for one never buy a dvd before I watch it first. If I enjoy the movie 100% of the time I buy it. I don't think anything is wrong with that. I very strongly support these directors and actors, but I work hard for my money and don't have extra to waste on movies that will collect dust. And it goes both ways, sometimes people who would have never purchased a dvd, will buy it after watching it..a few years ago my buddy showed me "the raid" and seconds after I watched it, I was on eBay buying it.. I would have never purchased that movie If I didn't see it first..just my 2 cents. Its the Dbags who only pirate the movies with no intention of ever buying it that bugs me

Secret Executioner
I tend to agree with this point, as a forum of movie fans I don't think we should really be creating threads which are there purely to encourage watching a pirated version of a brand new movie which has a readily available DVD release. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with that point.

I for one never buy a dvd before I watch it first. If I enjoy the movie 100% of the time I buy it. I don't think anything is wrong with that. I very strongly support these directors and actors, but I work hard for my money and don't have extra to waste on movies that will collect dust. And it goes both ways, sometimes people who would have never purchased a dvd, will buy it after watching it..a few years ago my buddy showed me "the raid" and seconds after I watched it, I was on eBay buying it.. I would have never purchased that movie If I didn't see it first..just my 2 cents. Its the Dbags who only pirate the movies with no intention of ever buying it that bugs me

Does the same for me with music. I download a lot of stuff, but whatever I enjoy listening to, I buy ASAP on physical formats (the thing I find even more stupid than people pirating without wanting to buy is people paying for a bunch of files).

Secret Executioner
I don't watch movies on youtube, but you can watch certain videos in HD.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a 20-30 minutes video and a whole nearly 2 hours flick. I can watch short videos (even if the quality isn't that great), but I can barely sit through a whole movie on youtube - I MUCH prefer a DVD/VHS or at least a rip/DivX file (.avi, .flv or something like that).

Drunken Arts

Yeah for me personally, there is a line, i remember 3 years ago, when i started to get into kung fu films, i did alot of reading on some films and devised a list of what i wanted to buy, i got alot of them but couldnt find some, "Secret Rivals" was one i wanted on DVD in the UK [soulbalde i believe] or that it was well over priced for me.

So i watched it on Youtube, i didnt know if it was pure rubbish youtube quality or was it the print quality, but i really enjoyed the film, so went on hunting more for it and i then found out the German version had Eng subs, so i ordered it and part 2 from Amazon.De on DVD.

I do prefer to just buy a DVD if i can, same kind of thing happend with Killer Constable, i could not find it on ebay, yesasia, dddhouse etc. I was aching to see it, and found a .Avi online, i did download it & watch it, yet again loved it, but it still stayed in my ebay search and one did pop up and i sercured a IVL version. :)

But this Police Story 2013 film is brand/quite new isnt it? Where as the ones listed above are old and out of print.

As i say i prefer to just buy the DVD, but i also think us in the UK get proper screwed over in Kungfu/MA/Asian film releases;

How many Shaws got a UK [remastered] release? Not alot im sure.

Cine-Asia, Vengeance Video and HKL are not in the business any more, and usually over priced now.

But the oldies aside. I like to buy the new releases on blu ray..

I got the HK region free 3D blu ray version of Tai Chi Hero/Zero from Yesasia, over a year ago i think, neither has any kind of release in the UK yet [i believe].

Dragon [Wu Xia] i got on bluray about 6 months ago, is probly my last brand new blu ray release [uK Vers] and then i hear its cut..

I bought Hara Kiri [Remake] on blu ray, its just the film, no extras, no nothing, feels like it was kicked up in 5 mins and cheap.

Reign of Assassins only got a DVD release in the UK, No Blu ray version.

Theres plenty im still waiting for, IP man Final Fight, Grandmasters etc and will that police story 2013 get a dvd/blu ray UK release?

Sorry maybe im starting to blur that line now, but as a KF/MA/HK/Asian film fanatic it can be a mine field, where as if you like any other kind of films, you'll get what ever you want, on what ever format.

But my point remains, i would buy happily a dvd/blu, and now iv got a region free DVD player [Not bluray], its become easier, but if Wu Xia, Tai Chi 0/Hero etc didnt get released at all in the UK, would i have watched them on youtube? Maybe...

If you look on Youtube you will find HD also, anyway the quality of the video I linked was perfectly OK!. Watching a film via Youtube is no different to streaming from Netflicks etc.

I only shared the link as some people don't have the funds to import DVD/Blu-rays! As stated above, some people like to view before they shell out!

Can't help thinking I am being flamed for this! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Totally agree with you on that.

Secret Executioner
Can't help thinking I am being flamed for this! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I don't think anyone's really attacking you, just that not only is a DVD/BR release far superior to a youtube upload in terms of quality, but for 10 persons who will watch the thing on youtube, how many will actually buy the DVD/BR ? And the less people buy the DVD/BR for some given films, the more reduced the chances are to get some other stuff released on DVD/BR. I'm not saying you not posting this link here would boost the sales of the DVDs, but I certainly can understand why some people can get mad at you (remember also this forum can be read by anyone and perhaps not all readers are devoted fans like us - some people could well try and find stuff to download or watch for free on forums).

Nothing against you, just making a point as to why people could seem agressive towards you and your posting of this link.

Drunken Monk
Watching a film via Youtube is no different to streaming from Netflicks etc.

Actually, it's not. Netflix strikes up distribution deals with studios. There's actual business involved. Full movies on You Tube are typically illegal uploads where nobody gets paid.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I don't support movies being uploaded on youtube. I much prefer you put a little more effort into it like a seed torrent, where if you don't seed within a specific ratio, you're kicked out!!! LOL youtube, bunch of amateurs!!!!

OK point taken guys, sorry I posted the link.

I can understand why people get mad at this sort of thing, I just thought people might like to see the film..

OpiumKungFuCracker
OK point taken guys, sorry I posted the link.

I can understand why people get mad at this sort of thing, I just thought people might like to see the film..

I'm not mad at you bruh. I just think it's not cool for the guy who originally posted this on youtube. It makes every lazy schmo including myself to see it without putting much effort into it. It's a click of a button and boom!!!!! I don't like instant gratification, I want effort!!

I don't support movies being uploaded on youtube. I much prefer you put a little more effort into it like a seed torrent, where if you don't seed within a specific ratio, you're kicked out!!! LOL youtube, bunch of amateurs!!!!

What kind of logic is that? Do you think you deserve free bootlegged movies just because you make such an effort by seeding them? Movies are products made to make money, to watch them illegally is stealing because the producers and financers dont get the money despite the fact you are using their product.

I really have no problems with down- and uploading rare movies an asiandvdclub for example, but it's a difference with movies that are available in online-shops, especially brand new movies.

OpiumKungFuCracker
What kind of logic is that? Do you think you deserve free bootlegged movies just because you make such an effort by seeding them? Movies are products made to make money, to watch them illegally is stealing because the producers and financers dont get the money despite the fact you are using their product.

I really have no problems with down- and uploading rare movies an asiandvdclub for example, but it's a difference with movies that are available in online-shops, especially brand new movies.

Wasn't trying to make a logic or deserving of free shit. I'm just stating for the people who bootlegged the most should look to torrenting. Believe me, I've supported every kind of medium you can think of, I pay for my shit heck I've seen the The Raid 2 four godamn times. I'm paying for my shit. I don't deserve any kind of accolades or anything but I pay for my shit. On average I've spent about 200 USD a week on entertainment so I pay for my shit.

I watched it yesterday and I mentioned it on FB, but I'm quite happy Jackie is doing projects where he can show more of a serious side to begin the against typecast. He really did quite a good job in this one and Liu Ye made for quite an impressive villain. He reminded me somewhat of Daniel Wu's character in New Police Story...cold, calculating, but I loved how things get twisty and when everything is finally revealed, its like wow!

I even liked the minimal fight scenes, especially JC vs. Pi Song. Chan really shows he may take a beating but must adapt to using more grounded techniques. I like that. Like Van Damme, he shows he may be old but can adapt using more grounded techniques and it worked here. Kudos goes to He Jun for his action choreography.

I definitely would recommend it to anyone wanting to see JC outside the box...its time he got out of it and this, along with Shinjuku Incident, really show a side of JC that I'm liking. :)

KenHashibe

Since Well Go USA gave this film a limited release in the US, I went to go see this movie at the Arena Cinema in LA last night and I thought it was a great movie. It was better than I had expected and I'm glad I saw it.

Now I can say that I've seen all of the films in the Police Story franchise. I'll probably review PS 2013 on Hapa Hero soon, but I'll probably want to review all of the other films first, so it may take a while.

But still, great movie! :smile: