Police Story 2013 (aka Police Story: Lockdown) (2013)

Drunken Monk

Was he? I love Fist of Legend now and The Octagon makes my top ten best movies ever, on the basis that Chuck Norris, a 7 Time Karate Champion, was doing screen fighting and personally threads the fake hair into Bob Wall's scalp in his spare time.

Sorry Chinese Wushu champion

Li was eight when his talent for wushu was noticed at a summer course at school, and he began his practice there.[3] Li participated in the sport of wushu in the non-sparring event. He began his wushu on the Beijing Wushu Team, an athletic group organized to perform martial arts forms during the All China Games. He was coached by renowned wushu coaches Li Junfeng and Wu Bin,[4] who made extra efforts to help the talented boy develop. Wu Bin even bought food for Li's family because they could not afford to buy meat, which was essential for the good physical condition of an athlete.[4] As a member of the team, he received wushu training and went on to win fifteen gold medals and one silver medal in Chinese wushu championships, where, despite his young age, he competed against adults

There's undercranking, sure... but HEAVY undercranking??? Have you seen Iron Monkey... now THAT is heavy undercranking.

And yes, there's wire assistance, but compared to the Fong Sai Yuk flicks, the OUATIC series, or pretty much any of the other JL films of this time, it is really minor.

I mean it's not Legend of the Wolf level undercranking but its pretty noticeable i find. I don't mind stuff like wires and undercranking in the context of something like Iron Monkey because Iron Monkey is a martial arts fantasy type film where there is no attempt by the filmmaker to pass off anything occurring on screen as realistic in any way. With Fist of Legend they were going for a grounded style of fighting and in that context obvious wirework and undercranking comes off as awkward to me. And i'll add it's not a 'realism' thing either, most martial arts movie fights even without wires are far from being realistic as we know.

I mean it's not Legend of the Wolf level undercranking but its pretty noticeable i find. I don't mind stuff like wires and undercranking in the context of something like Iron Monkey because Iron Monkey is a martial arts fantasy type film where there is no attempt by the filmmaker to pass off anything occurring on screen as realistic in any way. With Fist of Legend they were going for a grounded style of fighting and in that context obvious wirework and undercranking comes off as awkward to me. And i'll add it's not a 'realism' thing either, most martial arts movie fights even without wires are far from being realistic as we know.

Precisely mate and the reason it pisses me off in Fist of Legend is because the likes of Jet Li and Billy Chow do not need it. The best fight scenes ever (Lee v Norris, Chan v Urquidez, Hung v Chow from Pedicab) don't need wires or undercranking, so why mess with a formula which creates a great fight?

I would rather admire the moves for what they are, than have wires pulling people around like puppets.

Bottom line.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Precisely mate and the reason it pisses me off in Fist of Legend is because the likes of Jet Li and Billy Chow do not need it. The best fight scenes ever (Lee v Norris, Chan v Urquidez, Hung v Chow from Pedicab) don't need wires or undercranking, so why mess with a formula which creates a great fight?

I would rather admire the moves for what they are, than have wires pulling people around like puppets.

Bottom line.

It's just the style and choreography. It's the impact more than it is realistic form. You watch a movie to be entertained and sometimes, moved emotionally. I guess it works for some while others it doesn't.

Okay, back on topic...PS2013 looks interesting. I don't know why but seeing Jackie's look in the film reminds me somewhat of whom he wanted to be...an Asian Robert DeNiro. Must be the short hair he sports. As I mentioned, if this is more drama than action, it won't bother me, because Jackie is doing what he can to branch out more.

TheGrimReaper

Nice trailer indeed. It has some old feeling passing through it, as a combination between Crime Story and old Police Story movies, I haven't got so great expectations towards it, because I would like to approach it in a more balanced way, rather than hype myself and receive a utter crap movie...

I'm still Jackie Chan fan, but now with more refined taste :)

Cheers for the nice discussion.

the trailer looks decent but that's what there for to whet the appetite eh?

I'll wait for it to turn up on youtube and watch it for free, it's amazing how OLD Chan looks

This has me excited!! Even if we get more drama and gun play than martial arts...JC will give us some fighting. He's getting older and we can't expect the same amount of fighting action from him, but if the rest of the movie is as intense as the trailer then we are in for a great action film.

I'm trying not to make this another "Special ID" case where, in my mind, I over-hype it and end up disappointed. With that said, it does look good.

Who needs Hollywood?

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-12/31/c_133010143.htm

'BEIJING, Dec. 31 (Xinhua) -- "Police Story 2013," a new action thriller from Jackie Chan, ruled China's box offices in the past week, grossing nearly 288 million yuan (47.29 million U.S. dollars) in the six days since it hit screens on Dec. 24, according to a film industry weekly.'