Police Story 2013 (aka Police Story: Lockdown) (2013)

Drunken Monk

I may be the odd man out here but I really like the trailer for Police Story 2013. It seems to be in the same direction as New Police Story or perhaps Shinjuku Incident. A little serious JC is alright by me. How many more all out crazy stunts and action can he do? JC is looking old in this. Little Big Soldier was pretty decently directed so I would hope to see a little bit more of the same here.

But, would it not be cool to see JC play the older but wiser Wong Fei Hung. Just saying. Just close your eyes and imagine it. Think those good thoughts. Maybe JC will wake up one morning and say to himself "Perhaps I should revisit WFH.":tongue:

How dare you bad mouth one of the best if not the best jet li movie ever, Fist Of Legend. No but seriously what really bothered you about Fist Of Legend, did you see the Miramax version??

Sorry for interjecting bro. I know you weren't talking to me but thought I would put my 2 cents in.

I watched Fist of Legend and the action did nothing for me.

I don't like Jet Li's technique and the choreography/ camera work was simply unattractive. Wires galore, choppy editing, strikes that would "never hurt" being made to look like they would break bones.

The fight between Jet Li and Billy Chow is a joke in my opinion, but I'm sure a lot of fans love it.

It's just down to preference. I love Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan (up to around the mid-nineties), the glory days of Sammo and Biao and Donnie Yen. My friends and I all did martial arts for years and out of five, only one of us appreciate Jet Li as a screen fighter.

It's the same with boxing. I might like a certain boxer and could watch him all day long, whereas someone with the same level of knowledge on the sport can't stand watching one round of him.

That's the best comparison I can give and I hope it makes sense.

TibetanWhiteCrane
I don't like Jet Li's technique and the choreography/ camera work was simply unattractive. Wires galore, choppy editing, strikes that would "never hurt" being made to look like they would break bones.

What fucking movie were you watching??? Wires galore??? Gordon Chan specifically instructed YWP to keep the choreo grounded and wire assistance at a minimum. This has to be the least wire assisted movie of Jet's 90's movies. Choppy editing..... where??? Unattractive camera work... eeeh, ok.

That you don't like Jet's technique and the choreo, that is down to preference, but as far as the technical aspects go, you are just plain wrong.

And im not even a Jet Li fan....

I just went back and flicked through the fights and while 'Wires Galore' is an overstatement there were some weird wire moments in there. Take this fight for instance

at 0:33 there is an obvious wired move there which looks really awkward. Looking back i can't say the fights do that much for me, there is some good stuff like the hand exchanges. But all the gimmicky moves, heavy undercranking and Jet's awkward boxing kinda ruin it for me personally. I can see why people dig it but it's never been my cup of tea.

On the topic of Jackie, ill go out and say that i actually enjoy some of his american films. The Shanghai Noon and Rush Hour series (with the exception of the 3rd one) are quite enjoyable to me. Shanghai Knights actually had a lot of high quality fights in it. The Donnie fight was a bit of a letdown but the chase scene with the umbrella was vintage Jackie in my opinion. The Rush Hour movies had quality fights too even though they were a lot shorter than we are used to. I can't say i'm a Chris Tucker fan, but i always thought him and Jackie were funny together.

TibetanWhiteCrane

There's undercranking, sure... but HEAVY undercranking??? Have you seen Iron Monkey... now THAT is heavy undercranking.

And yes, there's wire assistance, but compared to the Fong Sai Yuk flicks, the OUATIC series, or pretty much any of the other JL films of this time, it is really minor.

What fucking movie were you watching??? Wires galore??? Gordon Chan specifically instructed YWP to keep the choreo grounded and wire assistance at a minimum. This has to be the least wire assisted movie of Jet's 90's movies. Choppy editing..... where??? Unattractive camera work... eeeh, ok.

That you don't like Jet's technique and the choreo, that is down to preference, but as far as the technical aspects go, you are just plain wrong.

And im not even a Jet Li fan....

You're too aggressive to take seriously when discussing a film.

Now....... fuck off!

It seems to me as though some people complain about wires just for the hell of it. They see a single wire assisted move in a film and it's all, "WIRES! Turn it off! This is bullshit!"

If you don't like wires, that's fine, but don't dismiss an entire movie for a few moves that utilize one particular gimmick. Me? I just don't like wire when they're done badly but then I do love Jet Li's "Fong Sai Yuk" films so that isn't always the case.

TibetanWhiteCrane
You're too aggressive to take seriously when discussing a film.

Now....... fuck off!

Aggressive? Not really, I just don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, and I think you know it, and now you're embarrassed, so you throw in the towel and tell me to fuck off. Pretty pathetic.....

I just went back and flicked through the fights and while 'Wires Galore' is an overstatement there were some weird wire moments in there. Take this fight for instance
at 0:33 there is an obvious wired move there which looks really awkward. Looking back i can't say the fights do that much for me, there is some good stuff like the hand exchanges. But all the gimmicky moves, heavy undercranking and Jet's awkward boxing kinda ruin it for me personally. I can see why people dig it but it's never been my cup of tea.

Okay, "wires galore" BY MY OWN ADMISSION was an overstatement. I'm not just talking about pulling actors up but pulling them back at 100mph off a front kick to the sacks. It just looks stupid! Thing is, you've got a one on one duel between quality martial artists. Why use them at all? I don't like them in any film and it detracts from the techniques these guys can use.

Speeding stuff up/ cranking and all that shit? Donnie Yen was guilty of this for a long time and I actually tuned out because it looks horrific. So glad he stopped it, or at least reduced it. That technique goes back to early GH days though. Nobody is going to tell me that Jackie vs. Biao from Winners and Sinners is shot at real speed (as an example).

Anyway. I don't like Jet Li as a screen fighter but have a lot of respect for him as a martial artist.

Aggressive? Not really, I just don't think you have any idea what you're talking about, and I think you know it, and now you're embarrassed, so you throw in the towel and tell me to fuck off. Pretty pathetic.....

Aggressive and an extremely inaccurate mind reader? Unconventional mix.

I've no interest in someone who joins a conversation with a useless bunch of verbal pal. You have your opinion and I have mine.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Aggressive and an extremely inaccurate mind reader? Unconventional mix.

I've no interest in someone who joins a conversation with a useless bunch of verbal pal. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Aggressive... did I call you names? did I tell you to fuck off like you did to me? did I attack you for your opinions? No, if you had read my post right, you could see that I agreed that Jet's screen fighting skills and YWP's choreo certainly are a matter of opinion.

I just called you out on your inaccurate statements about the technical aspects, and I did so because what you said was wrong.

You can't just say the sky is green, and if someone says you're wrong, then say that it's a matter of opinion.

It seems to me as though some people complain about wires just for the hell of it. They see a single wire assisted move in a film and it's all, "WIRES! Turn it off! This is bullshit!"

If you don't like wires, that's fine, but don't dismiss an entire movie for a few moves that utilize one particular gimmick. Me? I just don't like wire when they're done badly but then I do love Jet Li's "Fong Sai Yuk" films so that isn't always the case.

Hi Mate

Wires irritated me in this movie but I watched all of it. When we're at the stage where people can fly, then yes, I would utter the words, "WIRES! Turn it off! This is bullshit!" That was fantastic guess work on your part :)

I explained more than one reason why I didn't like Fist of Legend, with wires only being one of them. It's just not for me, although I can appreciate while some people like it.

Aggressive... did I call you names? did I tell you to fuck off like you did to me? did I attack you for your opinions? No, if you had read my post right, you could see that I agreed that Jet's screen fighting skills and YWP's choreo certainly are a matter of opinion.

I just called you out on your inaccurate statements about the technical aspects, and I did so because what you said was wrong.

You can't just say the sky is green, and if someone says you're wrong, then say that it's a matter of opinion.

So being aggressive is synonymous with calling people names? That's called name calling.

You came in to a thread, in which I had posted a pleasant, although singular opinion, like a child having a tantrum. You swore, injected flippancy and sarcasm, then made out as if you hold a degree in Hong Kong cinema.

I've been around the game for decades and immediately below my initial post, someone came in and agreed there is wire work, which looks "weird".

"You can't just say the sky is green, and if someone says you're wrong, then say that it's a matter of opinion"

I mean really? You look ages with me, so can we park this crap?

I say wires make this film look poor - You don't agree OPINION

I say the camera angles don't work for me - They work for you OPINION

I say Jet Li's technique does not impress me - It impresses you OPINION

I say the choreography does not impress me - It impresses you OPINION

What is the common denominator here?

OPINION! Get over yourself!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, keep talking in circles and twisting my words if that makes you feel better. You've already exposed yourself for what you are, and are clearly not interested in actually reading and responding to what I wrote, so let's leave it.

Yeah, keep talking in circles and twisting my words if that makes you feel better. You've already exposed yourself for what you are, and are clearly not interested in actually reading and responding to what I wrote, so let's leave it.

Yeah, I exposed myself as someone who would tell an ignorant, aggressive, martial arts movie fan to fuck off for going "bananas" over a movie. I feel like such a letdown!

Dry your eyes mate...

Huh... Wasn't there a Jackie Chan movie we were talking about ?

Geez, calm down you guys...

Yep PS2013... Apologies!

Moderators will probably remove that unscheduled bullshit above. Sorry for filling up an otherwise good thread with this nonsense.

Well why would it he wasn't anything like a Wushu world champion or anything was he.:neutral:

Was he? I love Fist of Legend now and The Octagon makes my top ten best movies ever, on the basis that Chuck Norris, a 7 Time Karate Champion, was doing screen fighting and personally threads the fake hair into Bob Wall's scalp in his spare time.