Police Story 2013 (aka Police Story: Lockdown) (2013)

Drunken Monk

The article started out saying that they are shooting in November and ended with the news of a screening in Bejjing. :squigglemouth:

More focus on gun battles instead of hand-to-hand combat? Seriously? The last film that had Jackie utilizing mostly hand to hand combat was The Forbidden Kingdom 5 years ago. So frustrating!!!

Chinese Zodiac was underwhelming because of the over use of stunts (which aren't as impressive now because of CGI and stunt double usage) instead of good old fashioned fight choreography. Yet in an interview recently Jackie seems to have a perception that Chinese Zodiac was "Fight Fight Fight" through and through.

We're not sick of Jackie Chan fight scenes, we're sick of fake over the top stunts scenes.

We need a Drunken Master 3.

Thank you. Good night.

P.S. We're sick of the political propaganda as well. :P

This is a mainland Chinese film. Lest you all learn from Special ID expectations, which has a very similar styled trailer, please don't overhype.

Did I see Jet Li at :26 seconds?!?!

L5TH9viqS_k

Despite the bad video quality this looks really promising. And Ding Sheng directed my favorite Jackie Chan movie of the last years, LITTLE BIG SOLDIER, so I am really looking forward to this.

Trailers don't mean much to me these days unless a good portion of the fighting is shown. I'm anticipating it being another 'New Police Story' style film.

It hasn't gotten my hopes through the roof but I'm certainly looking forward to it far more than I was. It looks like a pretty solid action thriller.

Even if the action is all from the trailer, this still looks exciting that from the looks of it, Jackie is slowly breaking the mold and focusing more on his dramatic side as he intended. I'm in for this one!

I think I rather liked it.

I don't expect any great fights in this movie and they didn't show anything suggesting otherwise. I saw some stunts which were wire assisted. I didn't see anything exciting in terms of action and yet, it got my interest.

I expect it to be a serious drama with a couple of OK action scenes. Jackie is known for staging original, innovative action pieces, so, if he does it in this movie, it will be great surprise. If not, I can live with that.

At least he doesnt have any super criminal kids from NPS ;)

To me PS2013 looks more like Criminal Story

NoKUNGFUforYU

I gave up on him a long time ago, after Forbidden Kingdom. Left to his own devices, it is all mugging and grinning. Karate Kid was a good performance. Here is one of my biggest problems. He promotes a kind of "fighting without fighting" where some who really detests violence is still the supreme fighter. It doesn't usually work like that. Fighting is a hurting business- Donnie Yen shows a good example of this in his work- where the proponents have no problem beating the crap out of someone. What Chan promotes is a kind of fantasy that is really lazy- you take lessons or train, and when attacked by someone who is really into combat, you beat them. At least with Yen and most others, even the comedic ones, they look like guys that basically have the attitude "Fight? don't mind if I do!" Martin Lawrence did a routine about how his mom would yell at the tv when she see's Jackie fight "Stop runnin' and fight!" Also, all the sucking up to the government, skirt chasing and the way he treats his family are all just part of the disenChanment. And I was a huge fan.

Also, I really, really don't like the Mainland films.

I gave up on him a long time ago, after Forbidden Kingdom. Left to his own devices, it is all mugging and grinning. Karate Kid was a good performance. Here is one of my biggest problems. He promotes a kind of "fighting without fighting" where some who really detests violence is still the supreme fighter. It doesn't usually work like that. Fighting is a hurting business- Donnie Yen shows a good example of this in his work- where the proponents have no problem beating the crap out of someone. What Chan promotes is a kind of fantasy that is really lazy- you take lessons or train, and when attacked by someone who is really into combat, you beat them. At least with Yen and most others, even the comedic ones, they look like guys that basically have the attitude "Fight? don't mind if I do!" Martin Lawrence did a routine about how his mom would yell at the tv when she see's Jackie fight "Stop runnin' and fight!" Also, all the sucking up to the government, skirt chasing and the way he treats his family are all just part of the disenChanment. And I was a huge fan.

Also, I really, really don't like the Mainland films.

But I don't think Jackie's style has changed much over the years. He's been doing the "dodge and run" routine since the 80's and, in my eyes, it's been a winning formula. Jackie can be criticised for a number of things but I don't think his action style should be one of them.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I have no hate for Jackie, but I stopped being excited for his new movies a long time ago. He's just gone in a direction where I have no interest to follow, and that's fine.

He already gave me countless hours of entertainment, and ignited my interest in HK cinema with a VHS rental of Young Master, one sunday afternoon in the mid 80's. His newfound patriotism, tomcatting ways, supposed failings as a father and husband or whatever else is going on in his personal life, is really none of my business. It's by no means endearing, but him being a dick to Jaycee or banging Maggie Cheung on the side is not automatically gonna make Police Story or Wheels on Meals suck balls.

NoKUNGFUforYU

You are correct, I still enjoy Clint Eastwood and Arnold movies, but it seems like once that really sets in- the arrogance- their performances and choices get lazy and narcissistic. His old movies are still good, and I liked some of the American co-productions. But unlike 10 years ago, I just don't rush to see his movies, and actually, I feel the same about Jet Li now. Someone needs to go back to basics in Hong Kong- no wires, undercranking, CGI, not so many fast cuts and just put out something that has the excitement of Ong Bak or the Raid. Money changes everything. Still, I was a HUGE fan of all of the above actors, so I am not trying to get into an argument.

OpiumKungFuCracker
There is no HK. It's another ugly, mainland pollution filled white sky, bleak looking picture. Pictures shot there look terrible.

And that's exactly what I'm looking for in a police action movie. Oh wait, you meant it as a diss to Mainland movie Industry???

TibetanWhiteCrane
There is no HK. It's another ugly, mainland pollution filled white sky, bleak looking picture. Pictures shot there look terrible.

I wouldn't go that far, but yes, that unique charm and identity that HK had under colonial rule seems to be fading day by day. Which is also reflected in its cinema, sadly.

Guest Markgway

Cantonese cinema will fade away if the likes of Jackie have their way. Now he's playing a mainland cop. Why not get a tattoo of Chairman Mao on his ass?

No, not dissing the industry, I'm talking about visually. I'm talking about how ugly movies and tv look filmed outdoors there. The sky is that bleak, polluted white whatever the time of year. Canada has those constant dreary gray skies and the mainland has the polluted white ones. Bad places to film outdoors visually.