Police Story 2013 (aka Police Story: Lockdown) (2013)

Drunken Monk

Over at Twitch...

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/09/jackie-chan-planning-police-story-2013.html

What's this? After making a great deal of noise about the upcoming Chinese Zodiac marking his final foray into the sort of high octane, high risk that built him into an international brand it appears that Jackie Chan may have one more kick at the proverbial can left in him after all.

The China Vision Media Group have announced at a Beijing press conference that Chan will re-team with his Little Big Soldier director Ding Sheng for what is currently being referred to simply as Police Story 2013. Given that the most recent entry in one of Chan's signature series - 2004 effort New Police Story - already began the process of pushing Chan's character towards more dramatic territory with others carrying the heavy stunt load it's quite possible that this will end up following that same mold and remain in line with Chan's promise to start slowing down. But, hey, no matter what it's a new Police Story film with the man who directed one of Chan's absolute best late-career offerings at the helm. And that's a very good thing.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I loved NPS... but that was almost a decade ago, and though the overall action was great, the fights were pretty wireheavy.... I don't know about this. Seems Jackie is going the Sly route now.....

At this stage, I think it'd be a cool idea if Chan made a direct sequel to the first three Police Storys and featured his character now as the Commish. If he wanted to move more toward dramatic acting and a more mature character, I think this would be a good way to go.

I loved NPS... but that was almost a decade ago, and though the overall action was great, the fights were pretty wireheavy.... I don't know about this. Seems Jackie is going the Sly route now.....

Also loved New Police Story, but I agree that the fights could have been better.

At this stage, I think it'd be a cool idea if Chan made a direct sequel to the first three Police Storys and featured his character now as the Commish. If he wanted to move more toward dramatic acting and a more mature character, I think this would be a good way to go.

Sounds like the best root, but probably won't happen.

I thought of an interesting concept...Chan should make a NPS2, where after helping him out on the last case, his character of Wing retires, but not before enabling Frank Cheng (Nic's character) to live his dream of being a police officer. Wing could be a mentor when Frank gets into a major jam.

This would be something interesting, but if Chan does a PS2013, then he's gonna just get expected to do his usual array of stunt work and all and I think that not be a great idea.

TibetanWhiteCrane
I thought of an interesting concept...Chan should make a NPS2, where after helping him out on the last case, his character of Wing retires, but not before enabling Frank Cheng (Nic's character) to live his dream of being a police officer. Wing could be a mentor when Frank gets into a major jam.

That is a great premise, Albert... I wish they did that. JC and Nic had great chemistry, and Nic's screen fighting skills has skyrocketed since 2004, so that would make up for JC maybe taking a step back, actionwise.

Has the movie got a release date yet, or is it gonna be his mid-autumn festival release this year?

I am looking forward to this and I hope it's about his New Police Story character not Chan Ka Kui - mainly coz NPS is wicked!!

Following on from the highs of CZ12, I hope he brings back that sofa TKD guy as the main bad-man (for TROO!!), his name slipped my mind, but that little seated pub handwork xchange was what it's all about....Come on JC let's see a full on bout between you two!!

my only surprise is how OLD JC looks with that short back + sides

Guest Markgway

"Jackie is portraying an all new character – a Mainland Chinese cop."

And the transformation is complete.

I've seen two Ding Sheng movies and not cared for either.

My hopes for this are minimal.

"Jackie is portraying an all new character – a Mainland Chinese cop."

And the transformation is complete.

I've seen two Ding Sheng movies and not cared for either.

My hopes for this are minimal.

I thought Little Big Soldier was really good.