Macabre (2009) Review

mpm74

Thanks to Gareth Evans’ The Raid and The Raid 2, the exciting new wave of Indonesian cinema has found its way to a whole new audience. Although Evans is somewhat of the spokesman, it’s movies like 2009′s Macabre (aka Rumah Dara) that remind us how Indonesia was pumping out over-the-top, excessively violent, beautifully crafted gems before The Raid saga took us by storm. I’m obviously not comparing The Raid to Macabre; I’m basically saying there’s been one hell of a film movement going on in Indonesia, and directors Kimo Stamboel and Timo Tjahjanto (aka The Mo Brothers) are part of the cause. Like Evans, these guys have a passion for blood and brutality, and they have a creative way of presenting it.

Without giving anything away, here’s how Macabre begins: An awkward group of friends and family – one is pregnant – are enjoying road trip until they come across a frightened young woman who had just been robbed and left stranded on the side of the road. After much speculation, the group decides to give her a lift home. Once they arrive to her destination, the victim shows her appreciation by inviting them inside to meet her family. Once again, the group reluctantly takes her offer and this is where the fun begins…

Just like Kim Ji-woon’s I Saw the Devil, Macabre is visually explicit, possibly even moreso. It’s a movie that has no regard for the basic principles of right and wrong, even in the context of being an over-the-top horror movie. If you think it’s just a slash and dash-type of flick, think again. Some of the weapons showcased include samurai swords, bow and arrows, chainsaws, pistols, shot guns and much more. The film was actually banned in some countries because of its “excessive violence,” which is somewhat understandable. Let’s put it this way: it’s not exactly the type of movie you want to throw on the tube while giving candy to kids on Halloween night.

Julie Estelle (who is on her way to being known as “Hammer Girl” for the rest of her life) is the main character in Macabre. The minute you see her, you’ll fall in love with her sheer natural beauty and acting capabilities. After seeing the way she handles her job in a barbaric film like Macabre, it’s easy to see why she was cast as Hammer Girl in The Raid 2. Talk about a female has no problem being drenched in blood, nor is she afraid to get down, dirty and physical. To put it simply, she’s a badass.

Raid 2 fans will also be happy to notice the appearance of Arifin Putra, a charismatic actor who seems to have the knack for playing psychotic characters, despite his handsome features. Visually, Putra is a distinctive combination of Brandon Lee (The Crow), Terence Yin (New Police Story) and Tak Sakaguchi (Versus). If you liked his over-the-top performance in The Raid 2, you don't want to miss what he has to offer in Macabre.

Macabre isn’t for everyone. I would easily recommend it to horror movie fans, especially those who like the sight of blood and gore. Sure, it’s not original and has its corny moments, but it’s still one of the best films I’ve seen of this kind. Maybe it’s the film’s excellent pacing or exciting build up – or just for the fact that it’s entertainment done right – but I feel like I’d be cheating it if I dismissed it as just another horror film. It surely deserves a lot more credit than that.

Now that I've seen what they're capable of, I'm totally looking forward to watching more films by The Mo Brothers, including the upcoming Killers and The Night Comes For Us (which is actually directed by one of the brothers: Timo Tjahjanto).

As for Macabre, give it a shot. You won’t be sorry.

http://www.cityonfire.com/macabre-aka-rumah-dara-2009-review/

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Great review, one which will lead me to definitely give this a go. Good to see its got a DVD release both on Region 1 and over here in Australia as well. No hammers included on your list of weapons that are used though!?:tongue:

Great review, one which will lead me to definitely give this a go. Good to see its got a DVD release both on Region 1 and over here in Australia as well. No hammers included on your list of weapons that are used though!?:tongue:

Thanks man!

Nope, no hammers. I didn't list the unofficial weapons (plastic bags, broken glass, pencils and jars containing (not gonna spoil it). lol

Definitely check it out if it's easy to get a hold of.

Hammer girl bro, damn she looked good in blood.

I'm looking forward to seeing her in HERE COMES THE NIGHT.... from what I understand, her main weapon will be guns.

Archived