Tower of Death Korean version

TheKungFuRobber

sifu iron perm
I forgot about how funny the British were about the chucks, did they ban the showing of other weapons like the knife or gun or tonfa? I mean why pick on the nunchucks exclusively?

we suffered plenty during that time..glad it's over.

TheKungFuRobber

Just sat through the whole film. I liked it a lot more than the other versions but never understood why they looped the music in the funeral sequence. Hopefully soon I will find the Japanese edit of the film, it also sounds cool.

Well I own the US version, the Chinese version and the HKL version and none of them feature Kim Tai Chung using the nunchuck. I have never seen the Korean version so don't know about that one.

I've seen the Korean version on YouTube.

Trust me the nunchaka scene is one of the most stupid you'll ever see. Kim Tai Chung goes into the "Palace of Death" Enter the Dragon style (alternate scene) with a white rope and a stuntman pulls the chucks out on him. The camera angle is ridiculous and you can barely see what's going on.

Anyway Kim Tai Chung disarms the stuntman easily with his own nunchakas and the guy runs away. Chung throws his set at the guy, striking him on the back of the head. Perhaps the humor of the scene appealed to Korean audiences, but it was a lot of shit.

Anyway Kim Tai Chung disarms the stuntman easily with his own nunchakas and the guy runs away. Chung throws his set at the guy, striking him on the back of the head. Perhaps the humor of the scene appealed to Korean audiences, but it was a lot of shit.

Bit like what Brandon Lee did with the Nunchaku in Rapid Fire! :bigsmile:

Chinatown Kid
I've seen the Korean version on YouTube.

Trust me the nunchaka scene is one of the most stupid you'll ever see. Kim Tai Chung goes into the "Palace of Death" Enter the Dragon style (alternate scene) with a white rope and a stuntman pulls the chucks out on him. The camera angle is ridiculous and you can barely see what's going on.

Cool, nice to know I didn't miss anything good with the versions I have.:smile:

TheKungFuRobber

The Korean version was released before any of the other versions. Maybe the makers just wanted it to be a simple Bruceploitation film at first and eventually changed their minds.

TheKungFuRobber

Unfortunately the link seems to be dead, and I recently lost half of my stuff including this movie due to a hard drive failure, which is why I'd always advise you guys back up your stuff. I actually intended on making a Wide-screen restored custom DVD of this movie, which would require me to find the best VHS rip of the Korean version of Tower of Death I can find. If anyone is willing to repost download links I'd really appreciate it.

• Like 1

TheKungFuRobber
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Did Game of Death 2 ever get a theatrical release in the States or UK?

Yes, it did have a theatrical release in 1983 under it's original title 'TOWER OF DEATH' through Sino Cine Co Ltd  of the Rank Organisation, and in 1981 in the US as 'GAME OF DEATH 2' through Columbia Tristar. All home video releases in the US and UK since then have kept the US title, although the UK DVD uses the 81 minute HK version of the film with optional English dub made optional, although the opening title for TOWER OF DEATH has a computer generated 'GAME OF DEATH 2' title card plastered over the original. The UK DVD was originally intended to be released as 'TOWER OF DEATH', but some shady marketing decision led to the other title being used.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Yes, it did have a theatrical release in 1983 under it's original title 'TOWER OF DEATH' through Sino Cine Co Ltd  of the Rank Organisation, and in 1981 in the US as 'GAME OF DEATH 2' through Columbia Tristar. All home video releases in the US and UK since then have kept the US title, although the UK DVD uses the 81 minute HK version of the film with optional English dub made optional, although the opening title for TOWER OF DEATH has a computer generated 'GAME OF DEATH 2' title card plastered over the original. The UK DVD was originally intended to be released as 'TOWER OF DEATH', but some shady marketing decision led to the other title being used.

I remember the HKL release was due just after the 9/11 tragedy and they explained on their website that they decided to go with the Game of Death 2 title as the intended Tower of Death was (at the time) seen as insensitive.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Really? Never knew that, what a retarded reason.

Yeah it's true, after 9/11 I also remember the Die Hard original dvd cover showing the burning Nakatomi building was replaced with a bland shot of Bruce Willis holding a gun, the movie companies became very sensitive to anything that had any sort of link to the tragedy no matter how tenuous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

I remember this being reported in IMPACT, Arnold Schwarzeneggers Collateroll Damage was held back for the same reason. Then re-edited before its eventual theatrical release. The ending of the soon to be released Spider Man movie, was also changed. They withdrew the trialer/poster, which featured a shot of a helicopter trapped in a giant web, that was spread between the world trade centre. Sure one of the Men In Black movies also had to change a lot.

Disapointed that HKL used the U.S print, with the missing scenes as extras. The VHS release I had, featured all the deleted scenes in the actual movie itself.

Phantom Dreamer
2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Really? Never knew that, what a retarded reason.

You don't remember all the songs that were banned from radio after 9/11?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
22 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Columbia, to the best of my knowledge, never distributed Game of Death II.

• Like 1

TheKungFuRobber
11 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Columbia, to the best of my knowledge, never distributed Game of Death II.

If TOWER OF DEATH was not to be released theatrically in the US, then why would Golden Harvest have created the English dubbed export version with different opening and end credits and extra Bruce Lee related footage (ie the childhood montage with Lee's early films, fight with Casanova Wong used only in HK prints of Game of Death, slightly altered shots in the helicopter chase scene, alternate takes during final duel between Kim Tai Chung and Hwang Jang Lee, Billy Lo's Funeral etc)?

Also, I was wrong about Tower of Death being released by Columbia in the states. It was actually distributed by Golden Harvest in the states, who were seeing good times with The Cannonball Run and many other movies. The first Game of Death on the other hand was distributed by Columbia in the US, and through the Rank Organisation in the UK, who were huge in the UK once over.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 2:24 PM, andy338 said:

Yeah it's true, after 9/11 I also remember the Die Hard original dvd cover showing the burning Nakatomi building was replaced with a bland shot of Bruce Willis holding a gun, the movie companies became very sensitive to anything that had any sort of link to the tragedy no matter how tenuous.

Also re-edited/deleted was Spider-man (2002).

There was one poster with the towers reflecting in spidey's eyes.

They also had the trailer of Spidey catching a helicopter with webs between the towers. The studio later stated that that scene was never meant to be in the movie & was meant to drum up excitement for the movie.

• Like 1

TheKungFuRobber
12 hours ago, newgen2005 said:

Anyone for a decent rip of this, with subs?

Count me in, I'd be most grateful. :)

• Like 2

Still waiting for a decent Blu-Ray release of the international cut, on Blu-Ray in the U.K. An official release, with the Korean/Hong Kong theatrical version's would be great. A poor quality version of the Korean print, was posted on YouTube in section's, I don't think it's on the site anymore?. Would be awsome if 88 Film's picked this up, and did some kind of release with Actor/Bruceploitation expert Micheal Worth involved.

Just how many versions are there on Blu-Ray?

cover_tower_of_death_hk.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2