What was the first Shaw Brothers film you saw?

Cloud Hands

I have three that spring to mind but not sure which was first,Disciples of Shaolin,Executioners of Shaolin or The New One armed swordsman.If I had to choose I would say The New One Armed Swordsman as that was on a Thorn/EMI tape and I think that was before the Warner Bros Shaw releases.

F0AC7918-B415-41A8-BBB7-D1F4C7C0427D.jpeg

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

I have some weirdly specific memories tied to my first handful of Shaw viewings, so here goes....

1990: 36 Chambers taped off TV. The Killer, as a gift from my mom on retail VHS. Chinatown Kid retail VHS bought through a video club mail order catalogue.

1992: King Boxer, video store rental, me and my buddy got drunk and watched this and Ninja Terminator.

1993: Heroes Two and Chinese Boxer Warner tapes picked up at a flea market.

1994: Men from the Monastery, sick day video store rental. Walked through knee-high snow with a burning fever to the vid store, and all the way back the next day. To this day, i get like phantom fever symptoms when I watch this.

1996: Legendary Weapons of China and Five Superfighters sunny Sunday video store rentals. Rented those two and Convoy and had salami sandwiches and lemonade.... don't know why I remember that, but I do.

1995/1996 and on I started collecting (importing) all the EH, MIHK and HKC tapes from the UK, including the limited MIHK Shaw titles, Five Venoms, My Young Auntie, Invincible Shaolin, Blood Brothers, Shaolin Martial Arts and Treasure Hunters.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 4

Cognoscente
5 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

1996: Legendary Weapons of China and Five Superfighters sunny Sunday video store rentals. Rented those two and Convoy and had salami sandwiches and lemonade.... don't know why I remember that, but I do.

I know what you mean. Food always strengthens the nostalgia towards a movie. I remember eating ice cream tacos when I saw Dragons Forever for the first time.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN, German bootleg I found in a used dvd shop. At that time, I had just started watching Asian movies and was still "stuck" with easily available new wave wuxia, Jet Li and Jackie Chan. I had never heard of the Shaw Brothers, and was not aware it was a bootleg. Celestial had already started publishing the IVLs and I soon started buying online, and seriously start collecting.  

• Like 4