No Tears for the Dead (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

3 years after 'The Man from Nowhere', director Lee Jeong-beom is hitting screens again this summer with a new action movie 'The Crying Man'.

The plot may seem a little derivative of plenty of other Korean action movies - hitman is given a mission to kill a woman, ends up falling for her - but hopefully the presence of actor Jang Dong-gun in the lead role should elevate things enough to make this a worthy watch.

yiBm9VHBeeo

fullsizephoto423412.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, like this may be sorta based on the Crying Freeman manga, which also revolves around an assassin who falls in love with his target.

1990′s Killer’s Romance and 2006′s Daisy were also loosely based on Crying Freeman.

One Armed Boxer
To me, like this may be sorta based on the Crying Freeman manga, which also revolves around an assassin who falls in love with his target.

1990′s Killer’s Romance and 2006′s Daisy were also loosely based on Crying Freeman.

Really!? I had no idea 'Daisy' is an adaption of the Crying Freeman story. Is there a connection between Simon Yam being cast in it, and the character he plays in 'Killer's Romance'? Now I'm tempted to check it out, what's your verdict?

Don't forget the HK movie 'Dragon from Russia' is also a take on the Crying Freeman tale as well.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I really love THE MAN FROM NOWHERE so I'm excited to see a new film from the director. The trailer makes it look promising, and I dig that poster too. Thanks for bringing this to my attention One Armed Boxer.

Don't forget the underrated Mark Dacascas film CRYING FREEMAN (1995) and... :nerd:

Don't forget the HK movie 'Dragon from Russia' is also a take on the Crying Freeman tale as well.

You beat me to it. Sam Hui was a strange but entertaining choice as the crying assassin ("Those aren't tears... My eyes are just really sweaty.") in DRAGON FROM RUSSIA.

Really!? I had no idea 'Daisy' is an adaption of the Crying Freeman story. Is there a connection between Simon Yam being cast in it, and the character he plays in 'Killer's Romance'? Now I'm tempted to check it out, what's your verdict?

I never heard of DAISY before, but when I looked it up it was listed as a drama. The title doesn't exactly say "action", but then neither did the title THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST, and look how that turned out! Is there any action in DAISY? What's the good word mpm74? Is it any good/worth checking out?

It has been a while since I saw Daisy. However, I remember thinking it was a movie with potential that ended up mediocre. I don't remember it being too action heavy. Or any actions that stood out. But it has been a long time and the movie was forgettable.

Mark Dacasacos's Crying Freeman adaptation tried hard but didn't quite get it right. Watched it for the 1st time last year. Entertaining if you're a fan of the Manga but it shows its age. He ended up marrying his love interest in the movie. It was directed by Christophe Gan's who would go on to direct Le Pact De Lupes (Brotherhood of the Wolf).

OpiumKungFuCracker
It has been a while since I saw Daisy. However, I remember thinking it was a movie with potential that ended up mediocre. I don't remember it being too action heavy. Or any actions that stood out. But it has been a long time and the movie was forgettable.

Mark Dacasacos's Crying Freeman adaptation tried hard but didn't quite get it right. Watched it for the 1st time last year. Entertaining if you're a fan of the Manga but it shows its age. He ended up marrying his love interest in the movie. It was directed by Christophe Gan's who would go on to direct Le Pact De Lupes (Brotherhood of the Wolf).

Daisy is a pretty forgettable film. The girl in the film is very beautiful, that I do remember.

Daisy is a pretty forgettable film. The girl in the film is very beautiful, that I do remember.

Which is why she started off as a model before going into acting. And lets just say acting isn't her main source of income.

Jeon Ji Hyun who shot to fame in My Sassy Girl, co-starring Cha Tae Hyun. She would try to capture the same success in another romantic comedy Windstruck. She also starred in the forgettable Blood: The Last Vampire with its laughable effects work.

One Armed Boxer
I really love THE MAN FROM NOWHERE so I'm excited to see a new film from the director. The trailer makes it look promising, and I dig that poster too.

I'm approaching this one with cautious optimism. The cliched storyline, and the fact that the clip has an identical shot of a scene from 'The Man from Nowhere' (the part were Dong-gun lifts his mobile phone up to capture the sound of the building exploding, exactly as Won Bin did), has me a little concerned that it's going to be an inferior replica of his previous effort. But I really hope these fears are unfounded.

The girl in the film is very beautiful, that I do remember.

I don't think anyone could argue with that! I wrote a biography of Jeon Ji-hyun which you can check out here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.hk/2013/07/jun-ji-hyeon-sassiest-thief.html

I never heard of DAISY before, but when I looked it up it was listed as a drama. The title doesn't exactly say "action", but then neither did the title THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST, and look how that turned out! Is there any action in DAISY? What's the good word mpm74? Is it any good/worth checking out?

You tell me what's the word... lol Honestly, never seen Daisy. Despite the big names (cutie from My Sassy Girl, etc), it was a lackluster effort from director Andrew Lau. That doesn't mean it's bad. It's on netflix.... I might have to check it out.

Missed Dragon From Russia... damn. As far as your question, I don't think Killer's Romance or Daisy are connected in any way. Even though I haven't see KR for years and never seen Daisy, Im pretty sure of it!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
You tell me what's the word... lol Honestly, never seen Daisy. Despite the big names (cutie from My Sassy Girl, etc), it was a lackluster effort from director Andrew Lau. That doesn't mean it's bad. It's on netflix.... I might have to check it out.

All the responses regarding DAISY are saying a big fat "don't bother" to me, especially since I have plenty of other stuff to watch instead.

I'm approaching this one with cautious optimism. The cliched storyline, and the fact that the clip has an identical shot of a scene from 'The Man from Nowhere' (the part were Dong-gun lifts his mobile phone up to capture the sound of the building exploding, exactly as Won Bin did), has me a little concerned that it's going to be an inferior replica of his previous effort. But I really hope these fears are unfounded.

Maybe that's going to be the director's "signature"? Sort of like his version of "They killed Kenny" with a different sound being picked up by the heroes' phone in each film. :xd:

"The Man from Nowhere" blew my mind when I first saw it and I still have fond memories of it! I'm fairly excited about this new movie. Trailer was OK :tongue:

As for the Crying Freeman from '95. I recently just bought the French Blu Ray which had some new interviews with Mark.

Really interesting and you could tell he put a lot of heart in this movie. He also talks about the large Fan base for the movie here in Europe, while in the U.S. it got little or no attention.

Than of course as mentioned before there's also the story of him meeting his future wife.

Sorry, Off-Topic. BTW, I'm I the only one who got reminded of "The Boondock Saints" when looking at the movie poster :ooh:

boondocksaints.jpg

One Armed Boxer

The movie is now going under the English title of 'No Tears for the Dead', and we have a brand new trailer as well. I'm going to be positive and say I'm actually pretty sold on this, looks like it's going to be a solid actioner.

L009jIv4ux4

I saw it in the theater and loved it.

It is about a hitman who on his last job accidentally kills a little girl. Because the job was "incomplete" his "boss" tells him that he have to carryout one more mission for them.

That last hit turns out to be to kill the mother of the little girl he accidentally killed.

He along with other killers are dispatched - they after other people (related to the first job) and he after the mother.

Don't want to give to much away as it looks like a lot of people haven't seen it yet.....

He stakeout his target and ready to kill but instead he ends up "protecting" her while going toe-to-toe with the other killers which includes his "former" partner.

It is a good mix of drama & action.

Any word on a BluRay release yet ? Also I'm wondering if there's gonna be a Korean Collectors Edition, like they had for "The Man from Nowhere".

One Armed Boxer
Any word on a BluRay release yet ? Also I'm wondering if there's gonna be a Korean Collectors Edition, like they had for "The Man from Nowhere".

No word on a Blu-ray yet, and yes although it's strange for Korean releases to bypass the 'First Press Limited Edition' version of the movie, it does look in this case that it's just gone straight to a standard DVD release.

I've never seen a Korean movie that gets a Collectors Edition after the standard release, it's always the other way around, so safe to presume this will be the only Korean DVD release in my opinion.

That's rather odd... Is it possible that it got something to do with Box office etc. ?

Still hoping this will be availabe on Blu Ray. I really enjoyed the movie!

sounds and looks great! I saw a trailer for it last spring, and was interested based on the fact it was directed by Lee Jeong-Beom since I love The Man From Nowhere! basically forgot about it, but just came across it last night and I hadn't realized it was already out on DVD, so I bought the Korean version on Yesasia. Part of it was filmed in L.A., and it's got Brian Tee in it as well, who impressed me in Mortal Kombat Legacy II!

Surprisingly, pretty good movie. I fought it was much more enjoyable then recent Suspect or Berlin File, let alone A Company Man. Better action, too(IMO)

There are two or free hand-to-hand combat scenes but they are not really good.

Gunfights and a knife fight are pretty good, nicely staged and executed. Worth repeated viewing. Maybe not as emotional as Bittersweet Life, but one of the best killer vs. mafia movies.

The opening sequence set in a jazz club looked like a tribute to John Woo's classics

CJ Entertainment USA is releasing the film on DVD and Blu-Ray in the U.S. on February 17. Got the official notification yesterday :) Blu-Ray will include featurettes, deleted scenes, action highlights and an interview with Brian Tee.

Archived