Would you all consider Jackie Chan as a Master of Kung Fu?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

My buddy and I also argued over this.

I said Jackie "WAS NOT" a kung fu master but opera trained which IS not a real kung fu master.

As with Jet Li Jackie could have later on studied REAL kung fu and became a master.

I say Jackie "IS NOT" a real " " kung fu master.

Your thoughts please.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've gathered, Jackie studied singing, acting, acrobatics during his Chinese Opera days and only started training practical MA styles after he entered the Hong Kong film industry in early 1970s as a stuntman.

Jet Li's style is wushu, as in graceful performances/forms based on Chinese combat techniques. It won't work in real fights though.

Out of the two, Jackie is the practical one because he (along with Sammo Hung and two others) once got into a gang brawl with a motorcycle crew.

Actually before he entered the Opera Academy, Jackie studied a bit of Northern style kung fu from his father. This was mentioned in the documentary Traces of a Dragon.

From what I've gathered, Jackie studied singing, acting, acrobatics during his Chinese Opera days and only started training practical MA styles after he entered the Hong Kong film industry in early 1970s as a stuntman.

Jet Li's style is wushu, as in graceful performances/forms based on Chinese combat techniques. It won't work in real fights though.

Out of the two, Jackie is the practical one because he (along with Sammo Hung and two others) once got into a gang brawl with a motorcycle crew.

Biker gang brawl? When?

shaolin swords

it was a very long time ago I read a article in inside kung fu magazine that Jackie chan in his early years in china he got into a street fight with a couple of guys and really beat all the guys up and in the story it says that Jackie chan thought he broke his hand in the fight he thought that a bone was sticking out his knuckle when he want to take a look at it and it was one of the guys tooth in his knuckle from knock it out of his mouth I don't know if his a real kung fu master but if that's story is true I say he can definitely hold his own in a fight

does anybody else recall reading this way back in the day in inside kung fu

Sammo Hung got his trademark scar on his upper lip from street brawling, he was glassed in his stuntman years.

No. Jackie most certainly is not a "Kung Fu Master", and I would say he isn't as much of a master at peking opera as some of his class mates. However, theres no doubt in my mind Jackie was/is hard as nails.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Go to the 11:58 min mark

2qbi4wNefo0

Now that was FUUUUUNNNY! :tongue:

Some ones tooth gets stuck in Jackie's hand. OMG!

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Sammo Hung got his trademark scar on his upper lip from street brawling, he was glassed in his stuntman years.

No. Jackie most certainly is not a "Kung Fu Master", and I would say he isn't as much of a master at peking opera as some of his class mates. However, theres no doubt in my mind Jackie was/is hard as nails.

Agreed.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Good observations

Now here is what a real Master of Kung Fu can do?

I saw Master Chan of the Boston Common do this twice.

boston-common-soldiers-monument.jpg

The high hill in the Boston Common has a statue dedicated to World War I Navy Veterans.

The statue is surrounded by huge and wide girth oak trees.

Master Chan would move his right hand so fast and then you heard the sound like a bolt of lightning hit the tree.

Master Chan holding a handful chunk of oak bark, which he then casually tossed aside.

That's what I call profound and supernatural kung fu.

Master Chan is a Tai Chi Master who has gone beyond form.

chen-weiming,-zheng-manqing-%5Bcheng-man-ch%E2%80%99ing%5D-and-the-difference-between-strength-and-intrinsic-energy-130.jpg

The great Chen Man Ching has said that when ones Tai Chi is beyond form one is into the profound.

GD Y-Y

Archived