What's your all-time favorite fight scene

smilebomb

Drunken Monk

While I'm at it I should also bring up the 2 part hate filled final fight from Killer in White aka Shadow Ninja. One of the best fights. Easily! Most people probably have the 50 pack and didn't bother to watch Shadow Ninja, and that's a shame. Maybe more people would watch this movie and talk about it if they could have come up with a better title than Shadow Ninja!!

I've owned that 50 pack for ages and I regret to admit that I haven't watched a single film off it. I just checked out a few snippets from "Shadow Ninja" online and it's going on my "To watch" list. Thanks Morgoth!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other fights that really get my blood running:

- The alleyway fight in THE MARTIAL CLUB - Only a genius can make a fight complex fight in a tight location with lots of close-ups work like this one

- The Warehouse Fight in TWINKLE, TWINKLE LUCKY STARS - Jackie, Yuen and Andy release the hate in ways they've never equaled.

- Tan Tao Liang and Angela Mao vs. Chen Sing and company in THE HIMALAYAN - Now that's a friggin' kick fest, baby!

Morgoth Bauglir
I've owned that 50 pack for ages and I regret to admit that I haven't watched a single film off it. I just checked out a few snippets from "Shadow Ninja" online and it's going on my "To watch" list. Thanks Morgoth!

I wouldn't recommend "Shadow Ninja":neutral: to someone just getting into the genre, I made that mistake already. But you are no beginner that's for sure so there's a good chance you'll like it. This is not your average genre movie. Yeah it has the kung fu scenes but there's also some good comedy which can be hard to find in these movies, and some good drama. The fight scenes also feel unique even for a kung fu movie. Tung Wei has a flair about him and he fights like a man possessed. And the fighters don't waste time revving up their hands before they attack, or taunt each other talking about their secret style. These guys are experts at being tough and they just go out there and beat the hell out of each other.

Drunken Monk
I wouldn't recommend "Shadow Ninja":neutral: to someone just getting into the genre, I made that mistake already. But you are no beginner that's for sure so there's a good chance you'll like it. This is not your average genre movie. Yeah it has the kung fu scenes but there's also some good comedy which can be hard to find in these movies, and some good drama. The fight scenes also feel unique even for a kung fu movie. Tung Wei has a flair about him and he fights like a man possessed. And the fighters don't waste time revving up their hands before they attack, or taunt each other talking about their secret style. These guys are experts at being tough and they just go out there and beat the hell out of each other.

Sounds like something I might enjoy! Thanks for the heads up and, hey, of you know of any other gems in the 50 pack I might be overlooking, let me know!

Morgoth Bauglir

The only other movie on par with Killer in White is Heroes of Shaolin. It has a star studded cast and it delivers the goods. If you are a fan of bad cinema Ninja Death 1, Impossibe Kid and City Ninja are must sees. Image of Bruce Lee is the only other one that I watch a lot. I don't like the movie but Bolo has 2 of his best fights.

I don't know which 50 pack you have but if you have Shaolin Invincibles watch it. It's bad but I love it.

NoKUNGFUforYU
Bruce Lee vs Bob Baker in Fist of Fury. I think it's the best fight, of his film career.. The pacing, the pauses, music, and the fact he shows in a fight, you do what you have to to survive against an opponent with distinctive advantages. (Biting)

:nerd:

ZDlvmxUL8Ro

I have to agree, it was the first one that came to mind. Funny story, I was once put in an armbar and thought I'd be able to do the same thing. If a guy knows what he is doing, it's pretty unlikely that you can bite your way out. Still, an awesome fight scene. Better than the Chuck Norris Bruce Lee fight.

Drunken Monk

I know some people have qualms about the undercranking, but the opening fight to "Odd Couple" is my favourite weapons fight of all time.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I have no favorites, when a movie and the fight scenes work for me then I am satisfied.

So many great fight scenes.

How can there be ONLY 1 favorite.

Imposable for me.

Fist-of-Fury-1972-Chinese-Movie.jpg

36th-chamber2.jpg

36chamber1.jpeg

drunken_l.jpg

Get the picture. LOL!

GD Y-Y

The only other movie on par with Killer in White is Heroes of Shaolin. It has a star studded cast and it delivers the goods. If you are a fan of bad cinema Ninja Death 1, Impossibe Kid and City Ninja are must sees. Image of Bruce Lee is the only other one that I watch a lot. I don't like the movie but Bolo has 2 of his best fights.

I don't know which 50 pack you have but if you have Shaolin Invincibles watch it. It's bad but I love it.

HEROES OF SHAOLIN is one of my favorite old school films. None of the fights are all-time classics, but the choreography is more than solid and you can't go wrong with that cast.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah no all time great fights but plenty of good ones. Corey yuen is on fire with his spear.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

There are a lot great kung fu scenes:

Gordon Liu Vs Lo Lieh Fists And Guts

j9MGGRNQRyA

Sammo Hung Vs Lau Kar Leung Pedicab Driver

Dac__V8wqb8

Collin Chou Vs Sammo Hung Encounters Of The Spooky Kind 2

0YXgJWYEznY

Yuen Biao Vs Yuen Wah The Iceman Cometh

T6A5mdWPmDA

Mak Wai Cheung Vs Donnie Yen in Legend Of The Wolf

2WnaQgQwGa4

Gordon Liu Vs Johnny Wang Lung Wei in Martial Club

6k3U91Tnly0

Kurata Yasuaki Vs Gordon Liu in Heroes Of The East

zVLxtSZ4sYM

Endfight in Daggers 8 (i am not sure anymore, but i think wilson tong is the bay guy)

6Gk_2BQa69U

Billy Chow Vs Jet Li in Fist Of Legend

NyN3f2wgsmE

Ti Lung Vs Chen Kuan Tai in Opium And The Kung Fu Master

WDhgh-J8c50

John Lu Vs Jwang Hwang Lee in Secret Rivals 2

vIUXfKwJdmU

and many more

It's gotta be Jackie Chan vs. Ken Lo in Drunken Master 2, and it has been for years. It's wonderfully paced and it nails two of my favorite aspects of a good fight scene - speed and a sense of danger. Jackie's a master at both. Ken Lo looks like a monster with those kicks and Jackie looks even better for beating him. The kicks, the fire, the Hulk rage...the bubble. I'm absolutely in love with it.

This^^^^^^^^^

2nd place goes to Donnie Yen vs Sammo Hung in SPL AKA Killzone

Finale to Police Story,to this day it's still the only fight sequence I watched then immediately rewound the vhs tape and watched again.Couldnt believe what I had just seen(crisp fast choreography and manic stunts).A classic

Is it odd that I find the market place fight scene and the "under the train" fight scene in "Drunken Master 2" much better than the finale?

That whole mashup in Magnificent Butcher is my jam. Lam Ching Ying with those elbow knives vs Yuen Biao coming out of his jacket, then puttin it back on, through some slick choreography.

Wei Pai vs Yuen Mo is so buttery smooth movement-wise. Mo moves graceful and quick with that monkey pole style, it's ridiculous. Dude was nice.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

*Sigh*

So spoiled for choice, I can never pick just one so...

Most entertaining fight:

The Loot finale

Favorite (mostly) Bare Hands fight:

Chan Wai Man vs. Lo Lieh in The Handcuff

Favorite Weapons:

Opening fight between Lian San and Tuan Changqing, The Deadly Breaking Sword

Favorite one fighter vs.  Formation:

Fu Hung Hsueh vs. The Chien Formation in The Magic Blade

but really I am impressed with the vast majority of fights I've seen. These are the fights I can watch many, many times am always blown away. 

The final fight in "Blood Treasury Fight" ... or should I say organized, free or all.  

The fight in the barn between Jackie Chan & Whang In-Shik in "Dragon Lord".  I love the football? game & shuttlecock episodes in this one, too!

The final fight in "Young Avenger" between Wilson Tong & Wong Yu

and the final fight in "Ring of Death" between Cliff Lok & Hwang Jang-Lee.  I think this is my very favorite HJL character, too.

I'm sure there are a lot more that leave me in awe.  At least one with Casanova Wong.

I'm pretty sure that the fully uncut version of Hwang In Shik versus Jackie Chan from "The Young Master" would truly be something to behold.

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't think I've ever been able to pick just one.  But it's clear to me now, it's the 1985 Hong Kong Godfather finale. I've seen it at least 100 times and I'm still not tired of it.  It's always one of the first things I show to someone when I want them to see how awesome Chinese fight scenes are. 

Propably far from best in choreography (but still) and choosing one is pretty damn impossible. But if need to name one it would be:

Not only I rate this personally high even 2 my friends who are not into fight flicks I showed this years ago were stunned. And later they have visited my home often have asked we watch this again...

I won't call any my favorite, but I'll say a couple favorites I didn't see in the thread.

Tiger Over Wall finale: Wth guys, why hasn't anyone mentioned this already?!

Dirty Ho finale: How does a Shaw Bros movie make a masterful guan dao fight without Lu Feng? See here.

Corey Yuen vs Jack Long, 7 Grandmasters

Knockabout finale: Lau Kar Wing, why couldn't you have more big roles. (Not that I've seen all he has had)

14 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Corey Yuen vs Jack Long, 7 Grandmasters

I rewatched this one recently. Such an underrated/overlooked fight.

17 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I rewatched this one recently. Such an underrated/overlooked fight.

Yes sir, my favorite fight of the film. Two guys who I don't think put on a bad fighting performance in their career.

Archived