What's your all-time favorite fight scene

smilebomb

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

Lam Ching Ying versus Yuen Biao in "The Magnificent Butcher." It's perfect. The fan, the rhythm, the shapes. It caters to everything I want from a fight. If you couple it with the monkey pole fight that's going on at the same time, it's just flawless.

I'll go with a standard one: Gordon Liu vs. Lee Hoi Sang in 36th Chamber. To me, it's almost more tension-filled because it's NOT a real fight in the film, just a sparring match--yet it's a real battle of wills, with a real sense of danger with the weapons they're using. And to me, it just totally captures the creative essence of Chinese martial arts, where San Te had to really think and use his imagination to keep going back to different weapons, and then to invent the three-sectional staff. Also, nice choreography, nicely filmed and edited, and great music.

It's gotta be Jackie Chan vs. Ken Lo in Drunken Master 2, and it has been for years. It's wonderfully paced and it nails two of my favorite aspects of a good fight scene - speed and a sense of danger. Jackie's a master at both. Ken Lo looks like a monster with those kicks and Jackie looks even better for beating him. The kicks, the fire, the Hulk rage...the bubble. I'm absolutely in love with it.

Yang Wu Liang

Sammo vs Lam Ching Ying and his lackeys in Spooky Encounters. The way he uses the bench as a weapon is sublime.

Bruce Lee vs Bob Baker in Fist of Fury. I think it's the best fight, of his film career.. The pacing, the pauses, music, and the fact he shows in a fight, you do what you have to to survive against an opponent with distinctive advantages. (Biting)

:nerd:

ZDlvmxUL8Ro

Cavern fight from Enter the Dragon.

Bruce Lee versus the finest stuntmen in Hong Kong, utilizing a myriad of the skills that he had developed over his martial journey.

High kicking, western boxing, joint locking, wing chun, pole, escrima, nunchaku all in one fight. A celebration of his best and most intricate choreography.

Cloud Hands
I'll go with a standard one: Gordon Liu vs. Lee Hoi Sang in 36th Chamber. To me, it's almost more tension-filled because it's NOT a real fight in the film, just a sparring match--yet it's a real battle of wills, with a real sense of danger with the weapons they're using. And to me, it just totally captures the creative essence of Chinese martial arts, where San Te had to really think and use his imagination to keep going back to different weapons, and then to invent the three-sectional staff. Also, nice choreography, nicely filmed and edited, and great music.

Good shout! With weapons, this is certainly up there with the very best.

Empty hand, off the top of my head, Gordon Liu vs Wang Lung Wei alley fight in Martial Club takes some beating.

Cloud Hands

Sorry KyFi, I wasn't thinking of 36th Chamber.. I had 8 Diagram Pole fighter in mind - Gordon Liu vs Philip Ko sparring match. Probably my favourite weapons fight. Although 36th Chamber is good too, obviously.

TheKungFuRobber

The end fight in the Donnie Yen film "Drunken Tai Chi" is probably my favorite, although the calligraphy fight in The Magnificent Butcher is also cool.

Lam Ching Ying versus Yuen Biao in "The Magnificent Butcher." It's perfect. The fan, the rhythm, the shapes. It caters to everything I want from a fight. If you couple it with the monkey pole fight that's going on at the same time, it's just flawless.

Interestingly I think that fight in particular was choreographed by Sammo even though it was a collaberation with woo ping. You can tell as it's consistent in style with sammo's other movies from this era. Much of the rest of MB was choreographed by woo ping.

After much careful thought and consideration I have decided that my favourite kung fu fight ever is Leung Kar Yan vs a multitude of bad guys in the courtyad plus the one on one with wilson tongue in the Victim. Note, look how long each take is. Unlike fight scenes later in the 80's and nineties where you see strike/edit/strike/edit... You see long takes with several moves performed in each one and executed brilliantly. It must have been exhausting and taken weeks to get right. And 34 years on this scene still looks fantastic.

_R5YroQVG2Y

After much careful thought and consideration I have decided that my favourite kung fu fight ever is Leung Kar Yan vs a multitude of bad guys in the courtyad plus the one on one with wilson tongue in the Victim. Note, look how long each take is. Unlike fight scenes later in the 80's and nineties where you see strike/edit/strike/edit... You see long takes with several moves performed in each one and executed brilliantly. It must have been exhausting and taken weeks to get right. And 34 years on this scene still looks fantastic.

_R5YroQVG2Y

Excellent choice. The Victim is a film I wish was available in better quality.

It's a toss-up between the foundry fight in Drunken Master II and the Chen Zhen/General Fujita duel in Fist of Legend.

Drunken Monk
Interestingly I think that fight in particular was choreographed by Sammo even though it was a collaberation with woo ping. You can tell as it's consistent in style with sammo's other movies from this era. Much of the rest of MB was choreographed by woo ping.

The whole film feels far more like a Sammo project than a Yuen Woo Ping thing. I feel like he must have had quite a bit of input. Either that or worked alongside Woo Ping therefore making sure the fights were fantastic.

Drunken Monk
Empty hand, off the top of my head, Gordon Liu vs Wang Lung Wei alley fight in Martial Club takes some beating.

I'd say this one and then the finales from "The Loot" and "The Challenger" would easily be in my top ten.

Oh jeez, WAY too many for me to pick just one.

Just for fun, I'll pick this short, but amazing battle between bad guys Wang Lung Wei and Chung Fat from Sammo's Two Toothless Tigers:

CqbnZtgor44

If I were to get all super serious about it:

Best empty hand fight - Yuen Biao vs Frankie Chan in Prodigal Son

Best weapons fight - The Lau Brothers in Legendary Weapons of China

Morgoth Bauglir
Oh jeez, WAY too many for me to pick just one.

Just for fun, I'll pick this short, but amazing battle between bad guys Wang Lung Wei and Chung Fat from Sammo's Two Toothless Tigers:

I meant to respond to this but forgot. I had to comment on your pick for best fight scene. I don't see this fight brought up too often. The Victim is brought up most often I think. Sometimes I'll see something listed like Lion vs. Lion The Loot, The Challenger, Fearless Dragons, Drunken Master 2, Drunken Master 1... But I think Chung Fat vs WLW tops all of those. Perfect choreography and editing, great acting, pulse pounding drama... It's the perfect fight. Not my favorite, but it's extremely high on my list. (minor thing here but the clip you showed doesn't have Sammo warning WLW that Chung Fat is about to smash him on the head...it makes the fight scene better)

Another one I don't see talked about too often is the final fight in Buddha Assassinator. I wonder if some people were too bored and didn't make it to the final fight. Maybe that's why this one hasn't hit legendary status yet.

While I'm at it I should also bring up the 2 part hate filled final fight from Killer in White aka Shadow Ninja. One of the best fights. Easily! Most people probably have the 50 pack and didn't bother to watch Shadow Ninja, and that's a shame. Maybe more people would watch this movie and talk about it if they could have come up with a better title than Shadow Ninja!!

Morgoth, I agree with everything you posted. It's a shame that the rest of Two Toothless Tigers is so mediocre (at best) because those fight scenes are just out of this world, even by Sammo's sky high standards.

Love your picks, especially Killer in (Wears) White. Is it me or does Yen Shi Kwan get more bad guy respect than just about anyone else I can think of? I was shocked for instance, to watch him out duel Casanova Wong.at the climax of The Master Strikes (now there's another incredible end fight that should be considered for Top 10 old school bouts).

As far as extreme hate battles, I'll add the climax of the little seen The Mandarin (Godfathers of Hong Kong). That one was absolutely brutal, one of the most hard hitting and exhausting Basher finales I've ever seen (ruined ever so slightly by the non-acting of that crying little kid who looks away from the action at one point and appears to be reaching for someone off camera to pick him up!). Brutal Boxer (aka Blood Fingers) is another finale along the same lines and probably the most intense and ferocious Chen Sing has ever looked.

Then there's the finale of The Rebellious Reign. It could have used a better lead-in (in my review of it, I said that it felt like there was a reel missing right before the climax), but the bout itself is one of the most incredible and most manic things ever filmed. Just unbelievable.

Archived