Shout Factory's Martial Arts Movie Marathon Vol. II

mpm74

Looks like Vol. 2 is up for pre-order at amazon.

Anybody have a clue of what titles will be included in this set? I contacted the Shout! Factory guys, so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Bob? You're holding out on us .;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor
914ztjMJtuL._SL1500_.jpg

Finally.

Thanks Bob ;)

AWESOME! 3 of those I've never seen, and one of those I never even heard of before!

I'm really glad that Shout is putting these out - hopefully there are many more to come. The HK releases of Fate of Lee Khan, Shaolin Boxers and Shaolin Plot were VCD-only - so this new DVD should be a nice upgrade.

Killer Meteor
I'm really glad that Shout is putting these out - hopefully there are many more to come. The HK releases of Fate of Lee Khan, Shaolin Boxers and Shaolin Plot were VCD-only - so this new DVD should be a nice upgrade.

I have the German DVD of Fate of Lee Khan - it looks good.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Anybody have a clue of what titles will be included in this set? I contacted the Shout! Factory guys, so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Bob? You're holding out on us .;)

:tongue: I just saw this thread. LOL

Just so you guys know, though I'm doing some work for Shout! Factory, I'm not set up in the middle of their offices with my own desk and art easel, punching the clock in the morning and pounding my fist dramatically on the table at production meetings.

I'm on the complete other side of the country from the Shout! Factory offices, working in the same old "art studio" (aka. space in my basement where I do my work) that I always have. These ladies and gents are treating me very nicely, but I haven't quite made it to the board of directors yet. :xd: So, though I occasionally get some cool inside info (which, unfortunately, I'm not allowed to share :crossedlips:), they aren't exactly running everything by me or making sure that I get final approval of all future release titles. :wink: LOL

Believe me, I'm giving suggestions, input, info, and offering to help in any way I can that I think might make any Asian cinema releases more awesome. But these guys are also being contacted by every single other person that has a computer and a finger as well. :smile: So they don't always have the time to chat about minutiae with a kung fu nut like me. But the guys that are in there are real fans, and it's obvious that they're trying to make each release the best they can with the time, money, resource and prints available.

I had no idea about this particular set's contents until I just read it here. :nerd: LOL

I'll be picking this one up for sure.

lol totally just giving you crap, man. Those guys love to keep their secrets, but hey, at least their pumping stuff out.

Hope there's more to come!

Killer Meteor

Shaolin Boxers looks like a basher. Does it have any Shaolin themes in it?

The Dragon

@ KM: I have the VCD and it's a typical basher from GH starring James Tien. Lots if familiar faces and is nothing special.

Shaolin Plot ? holy shit I can't believe it..... I wonder if the english dub will be included.

Secret Executioner

Looks like a cool set.

kevenz: I guess they will be in English, though I hope there will be Chinese dubs as well.

OpiumKungFuCracker

The fate of lee khan and Shaolin plot should be a blind purchase for anyone who hasn't seen them.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
lol totally just giving you crap, man. Those guys love to keep their secrets, but hey, at least their pumping stuff out.

Oh, I know buddy. :tongue: But ever since I stated that I'm doing some cover paintings for Shout! Factory I've had a lot of people asking me to basically make things happen, and I just wanted to take the opportunity to say "I have no athoritaaay". :xd: I have passed on all suggestions though, and they've been very patient and kind about it. :angel:

Shaolin Plot ? holy shit I can't believe it..... I wonder if the english dub will be included.

Looks like a cool set.

kevenz: I guess they will be in English, though I hope there will be Chinese dubs as well.

I just received my complimentary copies of the ANGELA MAO YING COLLECTION, and each of the six films include the choice of both the original English dubs and Chinese language tracks with optional (and very nice looking) subtitles (including on-screen text translations). So chances are good that these films will have the same.

The fate of lee khan and Shaolin plot should be a blind purchase for anyone who hasn't seen them.

True true!

Oh, I know buddy. :tongue: But ever since I stated that I'm doing some cover paintings for Shout! Factory I've had a lot of people asking me to basically make things happen, and I just wanted to take the opportunity to say "I have no athoritaaay". :xd: I have passed on all suggestions though, and they've been very patient and kind about it. :angel:

They gotta get you to do original art for these. For these MA Marathons, slapping a low quality image on the titles just isn't cutting it. They should have you do them, or at least use the HK posters (which I understand are not always easily available...)

Gotta give them credit, at least they use the right photos. =D

Noelle Shadow Kick
I just received my complimentary copies of the ANGELA MAO YING COLLECTION, and each of the six films include the choice of both the original English dubs and Chinese language tracks with optional (and very nice looking) subtitles (including on-screen text translations). So chances are good that these films will have the same.

Lucky guy!!!

I just got a review copy for Volume 1 and each movie has Dolby mono English and Mandarin soundtracks.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
They gotta get you to do original art for these. For these MA Marathons, slapping a low quality image on the titles just isn't cutting it. They should have you do them, or at least use the HK posters (which I understand are not always easily available...)

Gotta give them credit, at least they use the right photos. =D

I'd love that! I'll suggest it to them. :angel:

Lucky guy!!!

Yes Ma'am, don't I know it! :nerd: When I was first asked to do the Angela Mao painting, I re-watched all the films on the set to get into the spirit, and to decide which parts of each film might be cool to include. But even though I just saw them all in December, once I popped the discs in to check them... it was hard to turn them off. :wink: I wound up skipping through each film and showing my son a bunch of cool scenes of Angela doing what she does best. :bigsmile:

I just got a review copy for Volume 1 and each movie has Dolby mono English and Mandarin soundtracks.

Great news Neil! Thanks for that info.

I watched the first disc (Skyhawk and Manchu Boxer) last night.

The soundtracks are fine. English ones don't have hiss like the Angela Mao double feature.

Subtitles are easy to read and not dubtitles.

Picture quality on Skyhawk is fine, albeit faded. Manchu Boxer looks pretty rough, a lot of scratches. I just watched the Masters of Martial Arts (US version) and that print looked better.

I think at this point Shout are just basically taking what Fortune Star are giving them so there's not much, if any, difference between these and the HK discs.

David Rees

I have the French DVD of Skyhawk and that is good quality remastered.

Bob, whats the quality of Broken Oath like, is it remastered as the Joy Sales version i have is pretty ropey...

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Subtitles are easy to read and not dubtitles.

I was very happy to see that.

Bob, whats the quality of Broken Oath like, is it remastered as the Joy Sales version i have is pretty ropey...

The print is far from perfect. It has some color fluctuations, some speckling, and light scratches. But the color is vibrant and the blacks are rich. It's definitely the best I've ever seen the film look. I was impressed. But it's not fully restored or anything. I doubt we'll ever see a better release of this film though.

Are these proper NTSC or still PAL-NTSC?

I guess I should know this :angel:, but how can I tell? If you can tell me how to check, I will do so for you.

Correction to my earlier post - I just double checked on VLC Media Player and the soundtracks on Volume 1 are stereo, not mono like the cover says.

Killer Meteor - the movies run at 29.97 FPS and don't look sped up. If there is some way via a program for me to check, I can do that.

Killer Meteor

PAL-NTSC - I'd suggest ghosting but that could just represent interlacing. I'll take a chance on these anyway, been waiting ages to see The Skyhawk.

Archived