Sugar Ray Leonard/ Bruce Lee

sdog2006

As one or two of you know I'm a boxing writer and yesterday I had the honour of interviewing the great Sugar Ray Leonard face to face.

Anyway, to break the ice I gave him the rushes from Game of Death on DVD. He was so appreciative, as he's a huge fan, and then he gave me a dynamite interview on the welterweight division.

A lovely guy who oozes charisma and simply one of the best fighters of all time.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leonard... Another who idolized Bruce Lee.

What a special champion in his day. Never saw a fighter who would literally dig-in, grit his teeth, and turn a fight, and it's fans on it's end-before he did it. Yeah there have always been intense fighters, however, Ray Leonard seemed to have another gear...

Always a pleasure to watch.

Just post it here bro?

It's not a martial arts related interview though. Will I post in general or?

I'm an amateur boxer from VA, my coach uses Ray as an example more than any other fighter. Who do you write for, id like to see some of your work!

I'm an amateur boxer from VA, my coach uses Ray as an example more than any other fighter. Who do you write for, id like to see some of your work!

I contribute to Ring Magazine mate (Mag and Web)

Thanks bro. Really glad you liked it.

Wonderful experience speaking to a fighter of that caliber. When I was a kid my idols were Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard.

To date I've visited Hong Kong, met Ali and interviewed Leonard.

Can die happy lol :)

sifu iron perm
Thanks bro. Really glad you liked it.

Wonderful experience speaking to a fighter of that caliber. When I was a kid my idols were Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard.

To date I've visited Hong Kong, met Ali and interviewed Leonard.

Can die happy lol :)

You can die happy and come back alive and smile over your grave..throw a massive party and invite me over and converse over boxing, kung fu cinema and This crazy ass twist of a thread!

(whilst hugging Rod Serling)

You can die happy and come back alive and smile over your grave..throw a massive party and invite me over and converse over boxing, kung fu cinema and This crazy ass twist of a thread!

(whilst hugging Rod Serling)

LOL

Keep an eye out for me. Interviewing Antonio Tarver next week for an anniversary piece on his knockout of Roy Jones in 2004.

sifu iron perm
LOL

Keep an eye out for me. Interviewing Antonio Tarver next week for an anniversary piece on his knockout of Roy Jones in 2004.

i will and looking forward to it!

Jeru the Damaja
LOL

I will never forgive Tarver for that. Roy Jones was my idol growing up. I damn near cried while watching that fight.:tongue:

Jeru the Damaja

I'm a bit too young to have watched Sugar Ray Leonard in his prime, but I have definitely checked out a few of his fights on ESPN Classic and other various outlets. Dude is one of the greats. Much Respect!

sifu iron perm
I will never forgive Tarver for that. Roy Jones was my idol growing up. I damn near cried while watching that fight.:tongue:

I hear that..

i was crying when LL and evander ripped Mike.

Also when Paq defeated Morales part 2!!

Lol. Was a long time coming. Jones Jr. avoided quite a few who may have got to him sooner:

Gerald Mc Clellan

Nigel Benn

Steve Collins

Chris Eubank

Michael Nunn...

I hear that..

i was crying when LL and evander ripped Mike.

Also when Paq defeated Morales part 2!!

Mike was done as ribs on my BBQ grill by then. The real ass whipping came at the hands of Buster Douglas... Mike had a black eye for over six months after that match. No one, including himsel saw that whipping coming, which is why he lasted so long; he was too dumb to quit-didn't have it in him at the time...

Lol. Was a long time coming. Jones Jr. avoided quite a few who may have got to him sooner:

Gerald Mc Clellan

Nigel Benn

Steve Collins

Chris Eubank

Michael Nunn...

Mike was done as ribs on my BBQ grill by then. The real ass whipping came at the hands of Buster Douglas... Mike had a black eye for over six months after that match. No one, including himsel saw that whipping coming, which is why he lasted so long; he was too dumb to quit-didn't have it in him at the time...

Gerald McClellan moved up to Jones' division in 1995 (168) and was permanently injured in his first bout with Benn.

Nigel Benn widely acknowledged he was second best to Jones and that fight didn't happen because nobody would front the money requested by both men.

Steve Collins was offered big money to fight Jones in 1996 and declined. He then chased Jones around when he didn't have a title in 1997 and then again in 2000.

Chris Eubank didn't fight one quality American in his career and recently acknowledged that he ducked Jones

To your point Roy's resume lacks big names and he's got to be partially blamed, but so to have the prospective opponents. For me he's the most talented fighter in the history of the game, but definitely not the best.

Terrible fall from grace and tragic that he's still fighting.

Michael Nunn was a great fighter but he was miles past his best in the mid nineties and never really considered

Jeru the Damaja

The one fight I wanted to see that never happened was Roy Jones vs. Dariusz Michalczewski. If I remember correctly, HBO was going to put up a lot of money for that fight to take place in the states, but Michalzcewski insisted the fight take place in Germany. Neither guy would relinquish home field advantage. Who knows how it would have turned out. My money was always on Jones. Honestly, there isn't one fighter from his era or throughout history that I would pick against a prime Roy Jones jr. That includes all the UK fighters from that time e.g. Collins, Eubank, Benn, and Calzaghe. Roy would have smoked them all before he moved up to heavyweight to fight John Ruiz. I hate that he is still fighting. He should have retired 10 years ago.

The one fight I wanted to see that never happened was Roy Jones vs. Dariusz Michalczewski. If I remember correctly, HBO was going to put up a lot of money for that fight to take place in the states, but Michalzcewski insisted the fight take place in Germany. Neither guy would relinquish home field advantage. Who knows how it would have turned out. My money was always on Jones. Honestly, there isn't one fighter from his era or throughout history that I would pick against a prime Roy Jones jr. That includes all the UK fighters from that time e.g. Collins, Eubank, Benn, and Calzaghe. Roy would have smoked them all before he moved up to heavyweight to fight John Ruiz. I hate that he is still fighting. He should have retired 10 years ago.

Yeah at that time Jones wouldn't travel due to a psychosis he developed after being robbed of Olympic gold in Seoul. He's changed that since his value dropped.

Michalczewski wasn't on Jones' level but if he chinned him then who knows what could have happened?

Jones place in history has been tarnished due to the manner of his defeats over the last 10 years: 1st round defeats, knocked out for minutes, wiped out on wide points verdicts.

For me the most talented fighter ever, just no way I can call him the best now.

Archived